Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile 3G. Post your data speeds. Tescomobile dont think there is a problem.

Options
  • 20-02-2012 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭

This is an answer I got from Tescomobile about their 3G speed being capped at 1.2 mbps. Thats fair enough, but I havent even got a quarter of that speed in about 3 months.
    Hi there

This has been consistent with all updates I have given in this space.
    We are currently capped at 1.2mbps download speeds. This cap will be removed in mid summer where we will get full O2 available speeds

General performance and speeds are dependent on where you are and how busy O2 site you are attached to is.

regards
    Paul

I get speed of less that 300kbps down and 200kbps up consistantly, wherever I am when I do the speedtests. I used to get about 700, but its a long long time since I got that speed.

For instance, just did a speedtest now in Drumcondra.
    254kbps Down, 212 kbps up. Thats very bad. Not even near the capped speed of 1.2mbps. Even if I got 1mbps I would be happy, but what I do get is pathetic. I thought it might be my phone, but I just got a new iphone the other day. I got a mate to do one with his meteor PAYG and he gets 3500 kbps down just now.

I know 3 other people on tescomobile and they get crap speeds similar to the ones I get too.

Can people on tescomobile do a speedtest with a free speedtest app on their phones and post the results here, just to convince tescomobile that there is a serious problem with their data speeds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

Hi there

Re "Tescomobile dont think there is a problem"

What I actually said was the speeds are location dependent due to how mobile networks work. I didnt make any statement about acknowledging a problem one way or the other as I don't have enough information to go on. I am here to help so if there is a problem that I can assist with I will work to resolve.

I just did my speedtest on and iPhone 4 (speedtest app) in Dun Laoghaire and got 763 kbps down and 145 kbps up.

212464765.png

regards
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

Hi there

Re "Tescomobile dont think there is a problem"

What I actually said was the speeds are location dependent due to how mobile networks work. I didnt make any statement about acknowledging a problem one way or the other as I don't have enough information to go on. I am here to help so if there is a problem that I can assist with I will work to resolve.

I just did my speedtest on and iPhone 4 (speedtest app) in Dun Laoghaire and got 763 kbps down and 145 kbps up.

212464765.png

regards
    Paul

Even that speed you are getting is pretty crap dont you think. No other network has speeds as low as even your speed that you posted. Thats a problem, even if you dont think thats a bad speed, im sure everyone else does. If you think thats an acceptable speed, i'd hate to see what you consider a bad one.

I just want to see what speeds everyone else on tescomobile is getting. Are they even getting close to the 1.2meg speed that its capped at.

Even that speed you are getting is pretty crap dont you think. No other network has speeds as low as even your speed that you posted. Thats a problem, even if you dont think thats a bad speed, im sure everyone else does. If you think thats an acceptable speed, i'd hate to see what you consider a bad one.

I just want to see what speeds everyone else on tescomobile is getting. Are they even getting close to the 1.2meg speed that its capped at.

Hi there

Its in line with all information provided to date regarding the cap and will improve significantly when the cap removes. We are not and have not been promising more than this.

We want the best speeds possible for customers and that is why there is a major project underway to remove this cap in mid summer.

That said the feeddack from most of our customers is that our data service is very usable on handsets. When you get to high end video streaming it may not be so quick with more buffering involved but for browsing and audio it should be fine.

regards
    Paul

Hi there

Its in line with all information provided to date regarding the cap and will improve significantly when the cap removes. We are not and have not been promising more than this.

We want the best speeds possible for customers and that is why there is a major project underway to remove this cap in mid summer.

That said the feeddack from most of our customers is that our data service is very usable on handsets. When you get to high end video streaming it may not be so quick with more buffering involved but for browsing and audio it should be fine.

regards
    Paul

My speeds are not in line with the cap. They are so far from the cap that the cap has no bearing in them whatsoever, aside from being a notional figure that will never ever even be approached.
    Im glad you have the best interests of your customers at heart. Then you will be interested to see results of your customers speed tests posted here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Gosh looking at that speed, that is dire...:eek:

Glad I am with 3, I usually get around 2MB -3MB at least... Did a speedtest with 3 and got 3.5mb :D

• Advertisement

My speeds are not in line with the cap. They are so far from the cap that the cap has no bearing in them whatsoever, aside from being a notional figure that will never ever even be approached.
    Im glad you have the best interests of your customers at heart. Then you will be interested to see results of your customers speed tests posted here also.

Hi there

I have no issue whatsoever with people posting their speeds in this thread. If there is an issue outside the cap to resolve I will take it on.

Can I ask that (if possible) you rerun your speedtest at a low contention time like very late at night or very early in the am to see if your results vary for the location you are in. If the speeds are higher then it is linked to local factors on the O2 site.

I am not saying that this would make your experience any better but it helps isolate the reason (which we can then discuss with O2 or our technical team)

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

Just did a couple of speedtests in office building located in D4 and get 600-700 kbps down and 300-500kbps up.

I was aware of the Tescomobile cap before I ported over, I'm happy with the speed I get and I don't think there's a general problem with the Tescomobile (O2) network.

I wouldn't expect 1.2mbps in the speedtest same as I wouldn't expect any speedtest being close to any advertised line speed from other companies (e.g. Eircom).

To be fair to Paul the only info ever mentioned was that Tescomobile were looking into removing the cap some time in 2012.

Hi there

I have no issue whatsoever with people posting their speeds in this thread. If there is an issue outside the cap to resolve I will take it on.

Can I ask that (if possible) you rerun your speedtest at a low contention time like very late at night or very early in the am to see if your results vary for the location you are in. If the speeds are higher then it is linked to local factors on the O2 site.

I am not saying that this would make your experience any better but it helps isolate the reason (which we can then discuss with O2 or our technical team)

regards
    Paul

I run the speedtests at various locations and at various times.
    I have been on to your support and they just say the same things as you tbh. Contention, location, time, etc. All mean nothing as I vary the tests and still they are rubbish.
    They are always crap. I am interested to now see what speedtest results other tescomobile data customers get too.

Even your own speed that you posted isnt great, though much better than the speeds I get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

CAP201202201407.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ordinary O2 customers get crap speeds too. Try late at night some time. I'd get very suspicious if nobody got near 1.2mbits at 2am though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Do you know anyone on O2 who could also run a speedtest?

I never got more than 1.2Mbps when I was with Tesco (as expected), but then I never got above 1.2Mbps when I was with O2 either :)

If there is congestion on the O2 network then you're going to experience it just as much on Tesco Mobile also.

Kensington wrote: »
    Do you know anyone on O2 who could also run a speedtest?

I never got more than 1.2Mbps when I was with Tesco (as expected), but then I never got above 1.2Mbps when I was with O2 either :)

If there is congestion on the O2 network then you're going to experience it just as much on Tesco Mobile also.

Yes. Work phone is O2.
    Just ran a speedtest now (in Cabinteely) from and its 3808kbps down and 344kbps up.
    Straight after I ran it with the Tescomobile phone and its 288kbps down 161 up.

So I swapped the sims and ran again.
    O2 sim is 3650kbps down and 258kbps up
    Tesco mobile is 256 kbps down and 140kbps up.

I didnt run the speedtests at the same time. There was a break of about a minute between them.
    I could keep doing it all night, as I have done before, and I would still get crap tesco speeds.

Ive tested this late at night before. Tesco is never good.
    For anyone with tescomobile, what speeds are you getting usually. Make sure you test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

down 14893kbps
    up 2013kbps

dunno if thats good bad or indifferent. roll on summer and get rid of the cap. at least tesco is progressively improving.

emo72 wrote: »
    down 14893kbps
    up 2013kbps

dunno if thats good bad or indifferent. roll on summer and get rid of the cap. at least tesco is progressively improving.

Obviously no cap on your tesco mobile data then.
    What do I have to do to get this?

nothing. i just posted some feedback like you asked. hope you get it sorted. have to say sometimes its noticeably slow. most of the times its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭GIMP

Did 3 speed tests just now 22.15pm, got 0.66,0.73 and 0.65mbps, not too bad but speeds can be lousy at times in Dublin 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

mine hasnt gone above 0.50Mb/s with Tesco in ages i used to get the full 1.2Mb/s not anymore it's the same where ever i go!

Also i never get uploads more than 0.10Mb/s

done a test with Meteor there shows the differance in service pings with Tesco are really high too mostly over 200ms!:mad:

1786009448.png

I got a ping of 1340ms which is really high for any network. And the highest download I have ever gotten is 0.73mbps but normally averages around 0.30 to 0.50, which is well below the speeds I used to get on 3.

was really slow this evening between 5 and 6. pages taking an eternity to load and sometimes not loading at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Interesting thread ... I am in Dun Laoghaire and on O2 getting 4.57Mbps down,2.85 up and 148ms ping at mo

• Advertisement

Excellent speeds

Hi All

We are seeing higher speeds since yesterday. There was an upgrade of one of our platforms on Monday night that may have had a positive side effect. Its not the ultimate planned upgrade removing the cap but rather a first step on our upgrade program.

Following up with the technical team today on this.

What I am getting in Dun Laoghaire this morning.

213342909.png

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

Hi All

We are seeing higher speeds since yesterday. There was an upgrade of one of our platforms on Monday night that may have had a positive side effect. Its not the ultimate planned upgrade removing the cap but rather a first step on our upgrade program.

Following up with the technical team today on this.

What I am getting in Dun Laoghaire this morning.

213342909.png

regards
    Paul
    All those speeds are outside?
    What about inside in the buildings?
    Will you check speed in Gort.

Still the same speeds for me. Havent got more that 360 kbps down in various locations all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭ofcork

Was thinking of changing to tesco but those speeds are slow,in cork on vodafone getting 4.9Mbps down 2.6 up and 58ms ping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

emo72 wrote: »
    down 14893kbps
    up 2013kbps

That's 14Mbps down - I find that hard to believe
    Any chance you could try again ?

Lower than ever today. less than 100kbps all day in Drumcondra.

Speeds today very slow and impossible to use at times in Dublin 13, 5 and 3. I have an o2 sim for same phone getting 2.5mb all day vs Tesco 0.1mb. Clearly there is something wrong with the Tesco set up.

Paul do o2 prioritize their own data over Tesco, as I'm not the only person on this thread noticing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

im with the network 48 on the o2 network im getting 1.18Mb/s download 0.13Mb/s on upload ping was 184ms Tescos network cant even get above 0.50Mb/s something wrong there.

They both use liffeytelecom for providing data service o2 also own liffeytelecom so its possible for them to prioritise data speeds for 02 and now 48 while slowing down tesco .

• Advertisement

<100k again today in dublin city center.
    cant take much more of this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement