Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile 3G. Post your data speeds. Tescomobile dont think there is a problem.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

jonnny68 wrote: »
    This is the 4th test ive done today and this is the best i can achieve,as i said im not far from town so one would assume data speeds would be fast.. ill give it another 2 weeks max and if it doesn't improve im afraid ill have to go elsewhere :confused:

You are on EDGE, not 3G. Change your phone settings to 3G

Caseywhale wrote: »
    They most certainly are not fine now.

I've done speed tests yesterday and today in different parts of Dublin and Wicklow. All have been the usual poor data speeds from Tescomobile.
    I have also asked friends to do speed tests so i know its not just me. All are very disappointed with tescomobile data speeds.

Are you sure anything was fixed at all? I know last week you said it was fixed and then when called out on it, said it would be fixed last Friday. Its not.

Can you post your speedtest from Dublin please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭GIMP

HI Paul

Speeds are not great last night or today, getting max 0.30mb down, pages on average taking well over a minute to load or just timing out like before..

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Caseywhale

You are on EDGE, not 3G. Change your phone settings to 3G

268 Kbits/s Down 139 Kbits/s Up

And thats the best one in months.
    I got a Meteor SIM today. I'm just gonna put it in and port my number to it, and forget tescomobile. I dont believe any changes have been made at all. Just a lot of if we say we've fixed it enough times, people will just get tired of complaining. Well i'm tired of complaining alright, but i'm just walking. I'm sure I wont be the only one.

GIMP wrote: »
    HI Paul

Speeds are not great last night or today, getting max 0.30mb down, pages on average taking well over a minute to load or just timing out like before..

Gimp can you post your speedtest. Sounds like EDGE speeds not 3G. The download bottleneck is removed since 4.30pm on Fri. If you are stlll having download speed issues it's local to site or phone.

There remains an issue with upload speeds that will be resolved early next week.

Regards
    Paul

• Advertisement

Caseywhale wrote: »
    268 Kbits/s Down 139 Kbits/s Up

And thats the best one in months.
    I got a Meteor SIM today. I'm just gonna put it in and port my number to it, and forget tescomobile. I dont believe any changes have been made at all. Just a lot of if we say we've fixed it enough times, people will just get tired of complaining. Well i'm tired of complaining alright, but i'm just walking. I'm sure I wont be the only one.

I don't tell lies so if you don't believe me that is your issue.

We will be sorry to lose you as a customer. I will continue to resolve the upload issue next week when this problem will be closed.

Regards
    Paul

Gimp can you post your speedtest. Sounds like EDGE speeds not 3G. The download bottleneck is removed since 4.30pm on Fri. If you are stlll having download speed issues it's local to site or phone.

There remains an issue with upload speeds that will be resolved early next week.

Regards
    Paul

HI Paul
    I have full 3g coverage on phone, have the H symbol, I am not sure how do do screenshots as I am posting from my HTC, also tried speeds on my partners Nokia, even slower. I will test from another location later and see the speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I've been running speedtests as well. I'm in the midlands. On average I'm getting download speeds of about 350kbps. Upload about 10kbps.

Im going to give tescomobile one more week then.
    Tesco Mobile: Paul, Is next Fridays fix going to actually fix this problem or are we going to be back here listening to you saying "The fix is complete, but part four is next Friday", if speed are still sh1t.
    The "Tescomobile dont think there is a problem" in the title of this thread seems to be spot on though.

Speeds are a little better than previous days, but pages take minutes to load, for example the Tesco Mobile page tonight took almost 4 minutes to load fully on a htc wildfire and 3 and a half on a IPhone 4s, hardly spectacular performance.

• Advertisement

I cant guarantee everyone top speeds everywhere. Mobile data performance is location and local site related as with all mobile networks.

What we have done is remove the download bottleneck that was affecting most people at peak times slowing speeds down.

Data upload is not routing correctly since the change and this will be resolved next week (this was identified after the fix on Friday). Its possible that data upload is affecting overall performance for people so there will be an overall improvement when uploads is finally resolved.

This does not mean that everyone will get top speeds. But if you can get > 1mbps real download speed on O2 then you should get > 1mbps real speed on Tesco Mobile.

I can't offer 100% guarantees on the fix that but to I can inform honestly about what is going on. I apologise that this issue has occurred but I am confident we are near a final fix once we address the upload routing.

regards
    Paul

I cant guarantee everyone top speeds everywhere. Mobile data performance is location and local site related as with all mobile networks.

People here are telling you that they have done speed tests form a lot of different locations and at lots of different times. So its not a location or time specific problem.
    Data upload is not routing correctly since the change and this will be resolved next week (this was identified after the fix on Friday). Its possible that data upload is affecting overall performance for people so there will be an overall improvement when uploads is finally resolved.

You mean that w cant expec any improvement in download speeds :eek:
    This does not mean that everyone will get top speeds. But if you can get > 1mbps real download speed on O2 then you should get > 1mbps real speed on Tesco Mobile.

I just tried my friends O2 SIM in my phone. Did a speed test and got 2843 Down and 323 Up.

Sitting in the same seat 3 minutes later I tried my Tescomobile SIM in the same phone and got 274 Down 115 Up.

Did it with another friends tescomobile sim about 3 minutes later again and got 252 Down 104 Up.

So then we tried all the SIMS in my friends phone and got very similar results.

In all 3 phones were tried with both SIMS. Tescomobile data speed are diabolical.

So thats
    Same location. Same time. Same phone. Dublin city center Full bars.
    O2 - 2843 Down and 323 Up.
    Tescomobile - 274 Down 115 Up.
    Different Tescomibile SIM - 252 Down 104 Up.

Nobody here finds it hard to test this problem and produce results that shows Tescomobile data speeds are dire. Why cant Tescomobile test it properly themselves? Stop asking people for their numbers and go out in the field and test the bloody thing. Clearly its a common problem.

I'm very disappointed that you say download speeds are fixed. They clearly are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Paul,
    I think I speak for most people here in that we are mighty glad for your engagement here on boards.ie and your general helpfulness and forthrightness.

Could we perhaps ask you to post your speedtest results, from your own phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Just tried a speed test here:

200ms ping / 900k down / up failed.

Download better than before to be fair, we'll see how the forthcoming improvements make things.
    nephster wrote: »
    Paul,
    I think I speak for most people here in that we are mighty glad for youengagement here on boards.ie and your general helpfulness and forthrightness

+1. I share the same frustrations as everyone else but I don't see the benefits of lashing someone who's trying to be helpful amid tough goings.

nephster wrote: »
    Paul,
    I think I speak for most people here in that we are mighty glad for your engagement here on boards.ie and your general helpfulness and forthrightness.

Could we perhaps ask you to post your speedtest results, from your own phone?

Sure, here are 2 I just did. Upload clearly still has issues as I outlined before but download is much improved. The issue with upload may be affecting overall performance including download and pings so the final picture will be clearer next week.

Tests done with iPhone 4 in Kildare

Photo%2006-05-2012%2019%2052%2013.png

Photo%2006-05-2012%2019%2048%2036.png

Hi Paul

I am getting good speeds tonight (see attached) but pages are not loading, timing out a lot and if they load at all take ages to do so, any ideas? I tested on two phones HTC and Iphone 4s in two locations today and again tonight. My partner is also having exact issues at a separate location!!! Seems speed issue is sorted hopefully but pages not loading and timing out is a new problem.

Hi Paul

I am getting good speeds tonight (see attached) but pages are not loading, timing out a lot and if they load at all take ages to do so, any ideas? I tested on two phones HTC and Iphone 4s in two locations today and again tonight. My partner is also having exact issues at a separate location!!! Seems speed issue is sorted hopefully but pages not loading and timing out is a new problem.

Hi GIMP,

This is likely related to the upload speed issue. Team are looking at this and hopeful to have resovled tomorrow.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭IrishPsychic

Hi Paul

Hi GIMP,

This is likely related to the upload speed issue. Team are looking at this and hopeful to have resovled tomorrow.

regards
    Paul

All new networks will have issues you will not be happy with but the motto "Good things come to those who wait" is a clear motto for Tesco I am switching over from Vodafone I mean most places have Wi Fi and you have to remember what do you use your phone for personably it's a phone and I text and make calls of Tesco Mobile can do that for me I will be more then happy I have switched my Dad over also the top up offer beats any deal and also I have to give credit to Paul who comments honestly and professionally and he must have to bite his lip sometimes as he is only human so if anyone reads this go easy on him please, Vodafone were overall just horrible the data prices and bundles they offer are a joke 25 Euro Top up gives you 150mb of Data and Free Calls and Texts it's simply rubbish, Tesco is giving me double Top Up so texts to other networks not Tesco are basically free as of the Free Credit, again loyal customers of Tesco it will improve and I have about 10 euro left on Vodafone and I am switching over to Tesco Data Issues or no data issues, the extra money is more then enough for me and the customer service they actually listen and very nice overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I ported over to Tescomobile a few weeks ago my 3G speeds are really bad still, speedtest.net reporting

362ms ping
    DL 138kbps
    UL 18kbs

Is the network still having problems, or is something wrong on my end?

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

A friend of mine uses his phone Nokia 6303/Waterford to browse and to get lotto and racing results, and used to find it great but last few weeks he says it's hopeless and frustrating and a waste of time.

A lot of ppl seem to be having probs so I guess even if he had a 3g enabled phone it wouldn't make any difference or would it.

• Advertisement

Updates related to this issue will be posted here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056640409

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Updates related to this issue will be posted here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056640409

.......no need for both.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement