Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying Grass

Options
  • 20-02-2012 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of putting grass down in my front garden. I was thinking of using those rolls of grass you see in Woodies etc...
    Currently the garden is covered in plastic sheeting with pebbles on top. So I reckon there wouldn't be a huge amount of preparation (probably wrong in that assumption!). Obviously I would need to prepare the soil and level it etc...

So I've a couple of broad questions...

1: How difficult a job is this?

2: I'm not against the idea of getting someone to do this for me provided its reasonably priced. So anyone have any idea how much on average it would cost per square foot to lay grass? (ballpark) and how long would it take? Any recommendations of companies/gardeners that could do it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

what size is you garden? where are you based

you have to remove stones and plastic sheeting, then you have to dig up/rotovate garden, and add some compost/top soil (depend on quality of top soil), remove any rubbish, roots, stones from soil. then level garden with rake, and at the end lay down rolls of grass. check few garden centers for good price and quality grass.

good luck

if you need more information or looking for good gardener send me PM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I did this last year fatlog. Laying the grass was by far the easiest part - it literally rolls out like a series of mats. Overlay them slightly, keep watering them so the edges don't dry out and you're off!

The preparation is the difficult bit. As blackharvester says, you'll need to take up the plastic and the stones. There'll hardly be any weed underneath that at this stage so a quick session for a half-day with the rotovator, followed by a good levelling-off with a rake to get the bigger stones out and you'll be ready to roll...!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

fatlog wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm thinking of putting grass down in my front garden. I was thinking of using those rolls of grass you see in Woodies etc...
    Currently the garden is covered in plastic sheeting with pebbles on top. So I reckon there wouldn't be a huge amount of preparation (probably wrong in that assumption!). Obviously I would need to prepare the soil and level it etc...

So I've a couple of broad questions...

1: How difficult a job is this?

2: I'm not against the idea of getting someone to do this for me provided its reasonably priced. So anyone have any idea how much on average it would cost per square foot to lay grass? (ballpark) and how long would it take? Any recommendations of companies/gardeners that could do it?

Thanks

Hi Fatlog how you getting on? Did you get the grass rolls? Im looking for some at the moment checked woodies and had none. Also how much per roll? ;)

Advertisement