Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donkey scratching

Options
  • 20-02-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a year old female donkey who is after developing a bald patch (skin isn't broken) on her shoulder. She has a some dandruff around her withers. I have checked for lice and can't see any. She is out with my horse and the horse definitely has no lice.
    I bought a spray for lice/ticks/mites but I haven't used it yet as she still has her rug on so I don't want to be leaving her with damp hair under the rug. Is it possible that it is just the dandruff causing it or could it be something else?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Gorteen

A couplee of possibilities spring to mind. You mention that the donkey is rugged. I have had horses who have had a bald patch on the shoulder caused by the rug. It may be the rug isn't a perfect fit?

I wonder is a rug necessary? Donkeys, like native breeds of horses, don't need rugs in our relatively mild winter, unless they are clipped. Once they have access to some shelter, either a shed or some good trees which provide overhead cover, they should be fine.

It could be something else. Is she fond of rubbing against a wall or fence post? She could be itchy or maybe too warm? It could be a reaction to an iritiant, although the rug will have probaly prevented her coming ito contact with such an irritant.

It also could be lice! Dose the donkey anyway and see what happens. A dose won't hurt her. If it desn't resolve, get the vet to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Clogsworth

Thanks Gorteen. I don't think its the rug rubbing her, its been on her all winter so I'd imagine it would have happened before now if it were the rug.
    I'll be taking the rug off her soon anyway if the weather stays this mild. She is a really small donkey that's why I put it on her in the first place, she didn't look hardy enough for the frost! I've been keeping an eye on her and she has never felt too hot under the rug. I think I will take the rug off at the weekend and give her a good dose of the lice spray and hopefully that will sort her out!

Advertisement