Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orchard

Options
  • 20-02-2012 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any orchards in the North County? I'd like to source a large quantity of locally grown pears and / or apples towards the end of the summer.

edit: Just found Llewellyn's in Lusk through google. Anyone know of any others?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Not so sure of pears, not many grown in Ireland let alone NCD. Only early cultivars of apples and pears would be able to be harvested by the end of summer.

Some options

Iona Fruit Farm in Oldtown

Keelings- just google them.

Lispopple Apples- couldn't find contact details

2007 Apple Census lists 6 culinary apple growers and 1 cider apple grower in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Nice one, thanks. That's very helpful. I could / will wait until Autumn. By end of the summer, that's probably what I meant in my own head anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Khannie wrote: »
    Are there any orchards in the North County? I'd like to source a large quantity of locally grown pears and / or apples towards the end of the summer.

edit: Just found Llewellyn's in Lusk through google. Anyone know of any others?
    If its for cider or perry making David Llewellyn sells the juice ready for fermenting in the Autumn. He also does courses through the year.

Is Lispopple still open? I know there was a big orchard in the Ballyboughal area that used to supply Bulmers but I don't know if it's still there now.

Keelings would be local & have an impressive operation. They have a good portion of their production given over to apples too. You'd need to speak to them directly about the actual sources though.

Keelings grow there own so don't need to buy in Irish. I be more inclined to give my business to smaller growers that don't have a turn over of 200 million euros a year. Makes more sense if your supporting local.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Eoineo wrote: »
    If its for cider or perry making

It is, yeah. I'm firing up some test brews at the moment. If it all works out well I might do a large batch in the autumn with local apples and (to a lesser extent) pears to cover me for the year.
    Eoineo wrote: »
    David Llewellyn sells the juice ready for fermenting in the Autumn.

Thanks. I'll definitely check that out.
    I be more inclined to give my business to smaller growers

Yeah, me too. Not that I'm buying some massive amount.

• Advertisement

TBH unless your making a massive amount of cider/perry you might be able to get enough fruit from peoples gardens that they don't use if you post on here in autumn. Apples for cider arn't the cream of the crop fruit. Or better still why don't you chance your arm and ask FCC whats the story with the heritage apple/pear trees in Ardgillen. Certainly some of them are cider apple cultivars.

Advertisement