Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet media solution for mkv, AVI, Mpeg etc

Options
  • 20-02-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Looking for a tablet which I can use to play the gammut of media that I have be it MKV, AVI, Mpeg, etc. Can I buy an android device, with a suitable media player app, or is that just wishful thinking. Alternatively is the there a simple media player solution in a tablet format?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Niall0001

Been reading up on this myself lately. Useful info here, although I generally use Handbrake to convert video on my PC, then transfer it to phone.

http://androidforums.com/android-media/316831-how-play-avi-mkv-wmv-mov-more-android-phone.html

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Well, now the VLC 2.0 is released and can play many more video formats.
    But for some video converters maybe after converting can get playing smoothly, as now I have keep the iFunia media converter for my videos conversion and works fine for me.
    But this all up to you.

Looking for a tablet which I can use to play the gammut of media that I have be it MKV, AVI, Mpeg, etc. Can I buy an android device, with a suitable media player app, or is that just wishful thinking. Alternatively is the there a simple media player solution in a tablet format?

most reasonably powered tablets will play sd video (most divx). hd video (720p mkv's should be ok but 1080p stuff is tougher) takes more horsepower and a higher speed processor. converting files is a pain as takes too long. so for sd most any tablet will do, for hd (you wouldn't really see the difference of 1080p on a small tablet) get a higher end processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I have an Asus Transformer (TF101) and use the Diceplayer app to play any and all of the file types you listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I'm running Kalemsoft's Media Player on the HP Touchpad in native WebOS. It play's everything that I've thrown at it from my NAS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

Thanks for the replies all..... Do any of these apps have playlist capability. I'd like to avoid playing individual episodes of Peppa pig etc while in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I'm using an Archos tablet which plays all the formats. Newest version is the Archos 80 G9 or Archos 101 G9.

They are a fair bit cheaper than the likes of the Samsung Galaxy Tablets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

I'm using an Archos tablet which plays all the formats. Newest version is the Archos 80 G9 or Archos 101 G9.

They are a fair bit cheaper than the likes of the Samsung Galaxy Tablets etc.

I'm using the G8 101 for streaming video and music and its brilliant! the built in video and music apps are the best of any kind iv used and would highly recommend one especially since it only costs 150 - 250 depending on where you buy it from.. if anyone does get one id recommend vtl launcher over the stock launcher its much faster and smoother and better functionality overall.

Advertisement