Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nightclub marketing gone too far?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

I can't believe a nightclub advert of a woman promoting an event has got so much attention in here. It's 2012 and *shock horror*, adults are actually having sex and enjoying it...

F*ck this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I sow those ****y adds on telly and I still can't put my finger on this.. Wtf are they advertising? Rent-a-slut?! Some dating number?! Night club? I am 25, and honestly I can't understand wtf they advertising in there. Can anyone explain me?!

Lulz! That cannot be a real ad! "go fcuk yourself!" That said, 10 yoyos a month is pretty good... I don't get why it has to be so overtly sexual though? would they not have some young wan phoning her ma to tell her want she wants for dinner? Probably more realistic!

RE: sluts&suits.... they're just giving the people what what they want, I guess. At least you know what you're getting when you walk into a place like that...

*slips off wedding ring*

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

On the plus side, crappy tacky ads like that at least make me want to stay away from those kind of nightclubs, kind of reverse psychology type thing. So it's not all bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

I'll stick with Coppers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

And if their lawyer manages to secure an acquittal based on the argument that the flyer created a perception in the rapist's mind that any woman in Alchemy on a Monday would be up for it?

Not to mention the fact that this does not occur in a vacuum. Perceptions regarding the boundaries of acceptable conduct are shaped by what a person sees and hears around them. That's why shaming drunk drivers worked so well; it changed the perception around the act of driving drunk in a real and measurable way. Will a non-rapist become a rapist because of Alchemy's flyer? Probably not, but the flyer will have an impact upon how some people view the female patrons of the nightclub - and the women in the city who might be dressed like the women who were in the nightclub. Add all those social cues up and perceptions are changed significantly - and Alchemy's contribution to that perception has been crassly negative and unpleasant.

What we should ban this because the legal system is f*cked? Maybe we should fix the legal system if this is happening.

We should organise a book flyer burning. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Alchemy - where the lads look about 14 and the lasses are skanks!!:cool: Or maybe it's just that I'm getting old...

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

The only people that advertising like that is gonna attract is horny men.
    I doubt much females would attend..

But to answer the question, nah I don't think it has gone too far. That kinda stuff sells these days. Advertisements like that would attract the type of people who just wanna get wrecked drunk, i.e., people who will spend a lot of money there. Can't blame the place for trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sex sells and nightclubs need all the business they can get,

Enjoy lambay OP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Barbara3

Nothing new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Id still bet you have dry ****e birds who wont do anything going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Horchata

Has anyone mentioned that the 7th of March is a Wednesday and not a Monday??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

wasnt there a place in dublin last year that had a promo that gave cheap/free drink to women that came in their underwear or something like that?

as for this ad, meh, sex sells and if people are that offended by teh ad then they are pridish IMO

Soes the ad say "i'm here and i want it"? so all peopel in the club are fair game? only an idiot would think that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Faolchu wrote: »
    wasnt there a place in dublin last year that had a promo that gave cheap/free drink to women that came in their underwear or something like that?

It was a free drink when you handed in a pair of underwear. There was uproar for no reason. Basically it was a free shot or crap drink and people arrived with packs of pennies 5 for €2 underwear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Midnight/Alchemy have released this statement:

Jamie White -
    "After a lengthly review on these matters, Aoife Campbell and all other members of this group on behalf of Midnight thank you for bringing these issues to our attention.

You were right to raise concerns and establish this group, the graphic should have never been published. Not only that but the matter in which your initial complaint was addressed was, upon review an embarrassment.

I have introduced a new complaints procedure throughout our business whereby we will welcome complaints and will address them immediately to better our business.

There was a massive breakdown internally whereby this graphic and indeed others in the past were published. I have introduced a brand manager within Midnight to oversee all events, flyers, graphics etc. In future we will strive to be a market leader in this area with the highest standards achievable.

Likewise there was a considerable breakdown in communication internally whereby individuals within our business thought it right to comment and interact with this group. On behalf of Midnight I unreservedly want to apologise for any offense that was made through these comments. The views and comments made by the individuals concerned are not that of the business as a whole nor my own and again I would like to apologise on their behalf.

I want to thank all members of this group for bringing these matters to our attention, had you not, we would have never known what offense we had caused. I can assure now that we have reviewed our strategy going forward and all comments, suggestions etc. within this group are being taken on board. Furthermore, I would like to invite anyone that has recommendations or suggestions for our business going forward to meet with me. Again, in future our goals to be a market leader in this area with the highest standards achievable.

Ultimately we are trying to build a business that caters to the needs and wants of students and that supports them. The idea that something we've done has led to offense is a complete contradiction to our goals for this business.

Again, I really want to apologise to all concerned.... We've built this business over the last six years, we've invested these years in to building something we can be proud of. This whole situation has been a horrible slur on our image and our part a massive embarrassment."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

But the problem is that this isn't sex, it's rape. I don't see how people aren't getting that I've shown the poster to friends and they all say the same thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

This is their new one
    http://omg.wthax.org/alchemy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Acacia wrote: »
    Lulz! That cannot be a real ad! "go fcuk yourself!" That said, 10 yoyos a month is pretty good... I don't get why it has to be so overtly sexual though? would they not have some young wan phoning her ma to tell her want she wants for dinner? Probably more realistic!

That's the problem with advertisers these days-they imagine the average young person's life is like Skins when it's really like the Inbetweeners :pac:.

By they way am I the only one who thought that 48 ad. was for a new TV show?

But the problem is that this isn't sex, it's rape. I don't see how people aren't getting that I've shown the poster to friends and they all say the same thing...

How does an image of a girl pulling up her underwear beside a beer can autOmatically mean she was raped ?

Do you honestly think anyone is stupid enough to honestly think that this poster means the club condones rape.

At the end of the day , if you dont like the advertising dont go to the club , dublin has an abundance of nightclubs and you can vote with your wallet about their advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

TheZohan wrote: »
    It's not a patch on the new "48" mobile phone adverts from o2.

They're nothing to do with O2, they just piggy-back on the network. Much like Tesco Mobile.

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    They're nothing to do with O2, they just piggy-back on the network. Much like Tesco Mobile.

They're owned by Telefonica who also own O2-all the same company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

How does an image of a girl pulling up her underwear beside a beer can autOmatically mean she was raped ?

Do you honestly think anyone is stupid enough to honestly think that this poster means the club condones rape.

At the end of the day , if you dont like the advertising dont go to the club , dublin has an abundance of nightclubs and you can vote with your wallet about their advertising.

There's nothing wrong with the image itself, it's the line above it, 'if you're not up for it, don't cum'. Are you honestly telling me that with the image and caption combined it's not even hinting at it? Not up for what exactly? And why did the promoter use cum instead of come?

And I'm not saying that the club condones rape either or that encourages people to become rapists, I'm saying that it's not okay to make light of rape or sexual abuse in advertising.

I'm not some prude like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I don't know if it has been mentioned but alchemy have sice come out and apologised. Personally I didnt think the ads were too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I've read two great articles this past week alone which shows up the general public's lax attitudes towards sexism (one came from the USA, the other from Britain, so neither particularly attacking the Irish...though many themes involved still on display in this topic alone).

Putting both together tells a tale of how men feel entitled to seeing women sexualised and how anyone who questions this will be mocked and ridiculed for their views. It also tells of how serious it is when you look at it from a woman's perspective and how this lazy public attitude follows into the legal profession in handling cases of genuine rape.

Here they are:

The 8 Stupidest Defences Against Accusations of Sexism
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-8-stupidest-defenses-against-accusations-sexism/

Time For a Revolution In The Way We Deal With Rape
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/feb/17/revolution-deal-with-rape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Those 48 ads are supposed to feature Irish 18-year-olds but they look like American 25-year-olds.

A club here has a pimps and ho's night - albeit for an older crowd. Just a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Is it sexist- i don't think so!

Does it push things- maybe.

Is it horribly lazy marketing- yep, definetly is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

All sex is rape, duh.

leggo wrote: »
    I've read two great articles this past week alone which shows up the general public's lax attitudes towards sexism (one came from the USA, the other from Britain, so neither particularly attacking the Irish...though many themes involved still on display in this topic alone).

Putting both together tells a tale of how men feel entitled to seeing women sexualised and how anyone who questions this will be mocked and ridiculed for their views. It also tells of how serious it is when you look at it from a woman's perspective and how this lazy public attitude follows into the legal profession in handling cases of genuine rape.

Here they are:

The 8 Stupidest Defences Against Accusations of Sexism
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-8-stupidest-defenses-against-accusations-sexism/

Time For a Revolution In The Way We Deal With Rape
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/feb/17/revolution-deal-with-rape

People use stupid defences for everything. That would be an issue with the legal system.

Men are actually legally discriminated against (in family cases). This is not anecdotal evidence its in the legal system.
    The media portrays men and women negatively and its just as sexist to complain about one side and not another.
    The media report lots of negative stories that pretty much what they have always done.
    People will always tell bad taste jokes that does not mean people take rape less seriously. There's no harm educating people but the last thing we need is more PC.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    People use stupid defences for everything. That would be an issue with the legal system.

Men are actually legally discriminated against (in family cases). This is not anecdotal evidence its in the legal system.
    The media portrays men and women negatively and its just as sexist to complain about one side and not another.
    The media report lots of negative stories that pretty much what they have always done.
    People will always tell bad taste jokes that does not mean people take rape less seriously. There's no harm educating people but the last thing we need is more PC.

Huh?

I mean, I don't dispute your points, just don't see how they're in any way relevant?

Essentially, what you seem to be doing is responding to two well-thought out articles that are very relevant to the discussion at hand, and said "Yeah well a lot of things happen to a lot of people." Then attempting to tie it into a conclusion that "that doesn't mean people take rape less seriously".

...how? How does men being discriminated against in cases of child custody have anything to do with whether or not people take rape seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

There's nothing wrong with the image itself, it's the line above it, 'if you're not up for it, don't cum'. Are you honestly telling me that with the image and caption combined it's not even hinting at it? Not up for what exactly? And why did the promoter use cum instead of come?

And I'm not saying that the club condones rape either or that encourages people to become rapists, I'm saying that it's not okay to make light of rape or sexual abuse in advertising.

I'm not some prude like.

I'm a photographer, if I take a photo insinuating rape and titled it as such would you be in a big huff if I Hung it on a wall in a gallery? Or what if I took a photo of nothing got to do with rape, titled it in a way that was a pun for a Target group and Hung it up, would you also het so high and mighty.

You are looking too far into it, as it says - if you don't like it don't come. Ie. Don't go there, don't like their Facebook page, and don't pay notice to them.. and that's from someone who's never went out in dublin.

Everything nowadays is too politically correct - everything you say offends someone, if you don't like it, don't pay attention and move on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Everything nowadays is too politically correct - everything you say offends someone, if you don't like it, don't pay attention and move on!

Relevant quote

• Advertisement

Huh?

I mean, I don't dispute your points, just don't see how they're in any way relevant?

Essentially, what you seem to be doing is responding to two well-thought out articles that are very relevant to the discussion at hand, and said "Yeah well a lot of things happen to a lot of people." Then attempting to tie it into a conclusion that "that doesn't mean people take rape less seriously".

...how? How does men being discriminated against in cases of child custody have anything to do with whether or not people take rape seriously?

I'm refering to points raised by you and in the article. Your point on sexism: "shows up the general public's lax attitudes towards sexism" ie you ignore the fact that men are legally discriminated against.
    The second point is regarding the article that states it's a problem that the media report false rape cases in the news and that rape jokes are told on the internet.

You're getting quite bogged down in the semantics and seem to be missing the point though.

Nobody, certainly not me, is arguing that men don't suffer from sexism in certain circumstances. Nor am I defending the media for always reporting accurate information. And neither are relevant to the discussion, nor do they in any way offer a counterpoint to the issues raised.

If anything, they loosely reinforce my point. You acknowledge that sexism exists on both sides and the media is often guilty of lazy reporting on it and other issues. So if you can just narrow down that general stance and make it relevant to the discussion, that'd be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

You're getting quite bogged down in the semantics and seem to be missing the point though.

Nobody, certainly not me, is arguing that men don't suffer from sexism in certain circumstances. Nor am I defending the media for always reporting accurate information. And neither are relevant to the discussion, nor do they in any way offer a counterpoint to the issues raised.

It's raised as an issue in the article you linked. That's why I mentioned it.
    If anything, they loosely reinforce my point. You acknowledge that sexism exists on both sides and the media is often guilty of lazy reporting on it and other issues. So if you can just narrow down that general stance and make it relevant to the discussion, that'd be great.

That's my point in relation to the media in those articles it ignores the fact that the media deals with all topics in this manner. I'm bringing it up because it was not mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Nightclubs are shit, no matter how you dress it up with sexualised advertising.

Pint, good company and good music ftw

Nightclubs are s[SIZE="2"]h[/SIZE]it, no matter how you dress it up with sexualised advertising.

Pint, good company and good music ftw

Yeah but your chances of getting tugged off by some drunk slut in the corner of a trad session are a lot lower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Yeah but your chances of getting tugged off by some drunk slut in the corner of a trad session are a lot lower

you'd be surprised eric, many's a comhaltas ceoltori trip i spent up the country in some árse hole of nowhere pub, inside in the snug, having a sexually enthusiastic young cailin tugging at my tin whistle while i strummed her harp! :eek:

ahh we did make sweet music, thems were the days... :D

Weirdly I've always had way more success with the ladies in pubs and at parties than in all these "mad up for it" nightclubs.

I must just be strange :pac:.

Advertisement