Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Fire Brigade Recruitment 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Lezdid

Tintin8 wrote: »
    Just seen on the telly that cork city get 3000 calls a year. 94 calls on bonfire night

That's one busy fire station!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭maddog1983

just saying what i heard a guy i know who was in army passed his medical and said two failed on eye sight and hearing,just going by what i heard nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tintin8

maddog1983 wrote: »
    just saying what i heard a guy i know who was in army passed his medical and said two failed on eye sight and hearing,just going by what i heard nothing else.

I hope your wrong. You have me paranoid now. What makes it worse is waiting around. Surely if one of us failed medical we would have been told by now. It was 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Justme007

I hope your wrong. You have me paranoid now. What makes it worse is waiting around. Surely if one of us failed medical we would have been told by now. It was 3 weeks ago.
    When leaving the medical you would have been told if you passed or not so don't worry you've passed the hearing and eye test. Your urine is tested for drugs so that was probably ok too. The doctor in the medical told me the urine would then be sent away to see if you had an alcohol dependence problem. So the only way that I can see that two guys failed would have been on the tests done on the day and they would have been informed of their failure immediately, in which case the guy that's no.19 on the panel would gave been called for a medical. So I'm not saying it's not true but it doesn't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭maddog1983

lads dont get me wrong here im not trying to stir anything, maybe my friend heard unreliable info, if they failed eye they would have been gone right away as you know, whoever got out without being told that has passed pending drugs test so no panic.he just told me he heard two failed eye test so i cant say for certain if true tho,i just asked on this first day to see if any of you had heard or know anyone that didn't pass medical that's all.

• Advertisement

lads dont get me wrong here im not trying to stir anything, maybe my friend heard unreliable info, if they failed eye they would have been gone right away as you know, whoever got out without being told that has passed pending drugs test so no panic.he just told me he heard two failed eye test so i cant say for certain if true tho,i just asked on this first day to see if any of you had heard or know anyone that didn't pass medical that's all.
    No bother

Ye in fairness the doctor said everything was cool before I left. I asked about ten times to make sure. Ha.
    I hope it's this week, 4 weeks this Friday since my medical. No doubt it'll be another month. Slowest council ever.

Ye in fairness the doctor said everything was cool before I left. I asked about ten times to make sure. Ha.
    I hope it's this week, 4 weeks this Friday since my medical. No doubt it'll be another month. Slowest council ever.
    I asked my referees were they contacted by phone or mail and they haven't. So let's be honest if they wanted this to finish up quickly this would be going on in conjunction with the vetting and it's not. I'm not holding my breath on it it'll happen when it happens if it happens.

Has anyone contacted HR recently to see of they have any more info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If you send in a CV on spec is it kept on file for contact the next time positions arise, or do you just have to keep your ear top the ground. Would like to at least give the FB a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Zorroman

gimmick wrote: »
    If you send in a CV on spec is it kept on file for contact the next time positions arise, or do you just have to keep your ear top the ground. Would like to at least give the FB a shot.

You have to keep your ear to the ground. When a local authority is recruiting they will advertise in the local and national papers. You'll probably hear through the grapevine before that.

gimmick wrote: »

Register with public jobs and pick the job types you want to be alerted for & you'll never miss fire brigade recruitment.
    If your looking to go retained you should call to local station.

Lezdid wrote: »

And we are in the lucky 18 :-)

Well hopefully if they hurry up and put us out of our WAITING misery ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 corkbackdraft

Has anyone heard back from the City Council reguarding jobs offers, training, start dates e.t.c?

Has anyone heard back from the City Council reguarding jobs offers, training, start dates e.t.c?

Absolutly nothing yet. This week is 5 weeks since the medicals. I was told Garda vetting takes 4-6 weeks so could be another couple of weeks (thats assuming they were sent a few weeks ago). Hoping to hear something before Christmas!!!

It'll be after Christmas I rekon. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

Come on county council. This is way beyond a joke now.

Fire1985 wrote: »
    Come on county council. This is way beyond a joke now.
    I know there's a lot of rumours going around but one of them is that training won't start until march. With this in mind we probably won't hear until the new year. There's some stuff doing the rounds in the labour court so the promotions are slowed by this and until this is sorted we'll be put on the back burner. It's fairly hard on everyone concerned but try to put it out of your mind and enjoy Christmas and if something happens sooner it'll be a bonus.

Justme007 wrote: »
    There's some stuff doing the rounds in the labour court .

What's going on in the Labour court?

• Advertisement

Lezdid wrote: »

What's going on in the Labour court?
    I'd be lying if I said I knew exactly but whatever it is it won't be sorted until after christmas and somehow it effects us. I wish I knew more but that's what I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭echo.lima

Fair Play to ye all for getting through :)

Just two questions for future reference.

What certificates did you send down, surely if you've got anything higher than the junior cert you'd send that down for instance i've a fetac level 5 certificate as well as a fetac level 6 and a fire engineering diploma so i'm assuming thats all i'll need to provide?

also was anything mentioned about tattoos as i've a half sleeve on my left forearm, although the subject matter of the tattoo is not offensive or offensive.

echo.lima wrote: »
    Fair Play to ye all for getting through :)

Just two questions for future reference.

What certificates did you send down, surely if you've got anything higher than the junior cert you'd send that down for instance i've a fetac level 5 certificate as well as a fetac level 6 and a fire engineering diploma so i'm assuming thats all i'll need to provide?

also was anything mentioned about tattoos as i've a half sleeve on my left forearm, although the subject matter of the tattoo is not offensive or offensive.

Nothing mentioned about tattoos. I could have 2 sleeves for all they know.
    They ask for all certificates. Junior, leaving and anything else's.
    Yours would be good.

Ah Balls,

The reason I ask is I was a serial underachiever in school, as I failed junior cert maths and english, did a bad leaving it was only after I left I copped on and took education seriously. I wonder if it'll stand against me? I made up for it with getting distinctions in everything in both fetac exams and did well in the fire engineering which covered some fairly heavy maths :(

I wouldnt want them to think of me in a negative light even though I've more than made up for it. :/ I could understand any reservations they'd have.

Ah Balls,

The reason I ask is I was a serial underachiever in school, as I failed junior cert maths and english, did a bad leaving it was only after I left I copped on and took education seriously. I wonder if it'll stand against me? I made up for it with getting distinctions in everything in both fetac exams and did well in the fire engineering which covered some fairly heavy maths :(

I wouldnt want them to think of me in a negative light even though I've more than made up for it. :/ I could understand any reservations they'd have.

As far as I'm aware you need 5 passes in your junior cert including maths & English.
    This is requirement.
    You will need to do them again . If you went back & did it, it would look great for you.

i'll have to mail them, i've been told that you only send your highest qualification. The level of maths far outweighs that of junior cert maths and is higher on the NFQ so surely they couldnt turn me away.. :(

i'll have to mail them, i've been told that you only send your highest qualification. The level of maths far outweighs that of junior cert maths and is higher on the NFQ so surely they couldnt turn me away.. :(

Maybe they wouldn't turn you away. Sure you have a leaving cert so you be grand.

Please god we hear this month.
    I rang just before Christmas and they gave me no information whatsoever.

Well if rumours of a March start are true, we would need to know 4 weeks in advance to give notice to work. That means finding out towards the end of Jan/beginning of Feb...hopefully. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

My boss received letter today looking for reference !

Advertisement