Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City Fire Brigade Recruitment 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭rallye150flyer

just got the email with the information for the video test now, its unreal how lazy public appointments are, it says cork city firefighter in the title box but then one line down says
    "This purpose of this document is to introduce you to the format of the tests that you will shortly be sitting as part of the Waterford City Council Firefighter selection process"

would it kill to change the Waterford to cork we know you copy and paste this stuff at least try hide it !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

just got the email with the information for the video test now, its unreal how lazy public appointments are, it says cork city firefighter in the title box but then one line down says
    "This purpose of this document is to introduce you to the format of the tests that you will shortly be sitting as part of the Waterford City Council Firefighter selection process"

would it kill to change the Waterford to cork we know you copy and paste this stuff at least try hide it !!!
    I'm delighted it's same as Waterford though.
    I got top group there so hope I get same for cork!
    They are lazy tho ;)
    Early start next Tuesday. I'll b leaving Kildare at 6am

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Lezdid

I'm at the 9am test so an early start for me too, travelling from Dublin.

Been a dub or from Kildare is a big disadvantage in this competition. I'd say it will be all cork lads who get employed. I'm gona try but not knowing or living in area won't help. We have to drive trucks and know the place. Granted I will move down if I get job . Gotta try anyway

Fire1985 wrote: »
    Been a dub or from Kildare is a big disadvantage in this competition. I'd say it will be all cork lads who get employed. I'm gona try but not knowing or living in area won't help. We have to drive trucks and know the place. Granted I will move down if I get job . Gotta try anyway

I dont think those lucky enough will be expected to drive straight away usislly there is a time period in which u cannot apply to become a hgv driver in dfb its 2 years

On another note im not looking forward to the early start either i will have to drive from dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 soldier boy

Hey All,

Just a quick question in relation to the familiarisation document issued on public jobs in relation to the video testing!!

In the document is it both test that we will be doing as they both seem very similar.

Any information would be appreciated, Nervously looking forward to it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 watch999

There seems to be a few of you driving down early on Tuesday morning early! Just a thought, if you phoned the hotel where the tests are on you will surely get a good rate for b & b the night before if you tell them you are attending the tests there. It would mean a proper nights sleep and a good breakfast before the test starts.

Could well be the difference in a pass or fail.

I read somewhere that 2 out of the 3 lads who got the recent waterford jobs were from outside of waterford so you never know!

Also,

Would anyone know where i can get another copy of the document that showed what is entailed in the fitness test etc.
    put mine away safely, but a bit too safely to be honest, ha.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭imonboard

Also,

Would anyone know where i can get another copy of the document that showed what is entailed in the fitness test etc.
    put mine away safely, but a bit too safely to be honest, ha.

Thanks

http://www.2shared.com/document/i8qe3pK9/Candidate_Information_Booklet_.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭2mature

3 Quick queries :)

1. Is there any sample video tests as thier was for the aptitude test?

2. Is it just a video test as the information booklet has a verbal reasoning component

3. Has anybody got a date for physical/interview if we progress past this stage

Many thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

2mature wrote: »
    3 Quick queries :)

1. Is there any sample video tests as thier was for the aptitude test?

2. Is it just a video test as the information booklet has a verbal reasoning component

3. Has anybody got a date for physical/interview if we progress past this stage

Many thanks!!

Hi 2mature, its a set of 2 video tests only, no numbers, no verbal reasoning, that's all been done...

They'll show samples on the day, that's about it, no way of preparing really except resting beforehand and staying alert. As for dates for physical, I've heard it should be around the first 2 weeks of June, then I'd imagine those that pass are on to the interviews, probably 2 weeks after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭2mature

Thanks for that!!! much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Learyface

I'm delighted it's same as Waterford though.
    I got top group there so hope I get same for cork!
    They are lazy tho ;)
    Early start next Tuesday. I'll b leaving Kildare at 6am

Personally I think it is a disgrace that Public Jobs are using the same psychometric test material now in Cork for the forth time in Ireland. Some people in the next stage have sat the exact test 1,2 or even 3 times before in Dublin, Limerick and Waterford which puts them at a massive advantage. In Neptune at first round they were boasting about being an "equals opportunity" company. Its not very equals opportunity if some people have sat the test before due to the fact Public Jobs are lazy using the same material in four different counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DOBBER112

Learyface wrote: »
    Personally I think it is a disgrace that Public Jobs are using the same psychometric test material now in Cork for the forth time in Ireland. Some people in the next stage have sat the exact test 1,2 or even 3 times before in Dublin, Limerick and Waterford which puts them at a massive advantage. In Neptune at first round they were boasting about being an "equals opportunity" company. Its not very equals opportunity if some people have sat the test before due to the fact Public Jobs are lazy using the same material in four different counties.

Just to let you know that the Aptitude test for Limerick was completely different and was run by a private company. Totally unrelated to the format used for Waterford and Cork. I agree though, some people do have an unfair advantage if the same test is being used. This is my first crack at it, so far so good. Fingers crossed now for next stage.

I completely agree with u. I couldnt believe that it was the same as Waterfords tests. To be honest it was november when I did it so i cant remember any of the videos. I wish I could remember. If i had of known at the time i would have come straight home from waterford and wrote everything down on the tests. Limerick were different and and supposed 2 be way harder than the tests we are doing.
    Mind u from what I hear the jobs are half gone already to relatives of lads in CFB. Its all a big family click in the fire brigade. A guy in Cork told me this the oter day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

the two jobs in waterford were given to retained fire fighters in waterford city i was told this friday night by a retained waterford city fire fighter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gannonalls

I completely agree with u. I couldnt believe that it was the same as Waterfords tests. To be honest it was november when I did it so i cant remember any of the videos. I wish I could remember. If i had of known at the time i would have come straight home from waterford and wrote everything down on the tests. Limerick were different and and supposed 2 be way harder than the tests we are doing.
    Mind u from what I hear the jobs are half gone already to relatives of lads in CFB. Its all a big family click in the fire brigade. A guy in Cork told me this the oter day.
    lads i wouldnt believe every rumour goen around about the relative thing.. the apptitude tests are completly unbiased..but its a disgrace that they are using the same tests..unreal

djor88 wrote: »
    Hard luck to any that didn't get it, tough times with lack of spending and the fierce amount of competition out there... Yeah it was myself who spoke to public jobs, they said 2400 original applicants, around 1600 sat the tests, now that's down to 360.. Works out at around 1 job for every 30 applicants (if it's 12 positions)....

Just out of interest, where's everybody from? Many here from Cork?

Im Dublin...
    im through aswell.im from wexford but living in cork..im workin down here.. glad to get through the first stage... a couple of more wrong answers and ud be gone

• Advertisement

imonboard wrote: »
    What is the top group? Some seem to think over 90% in both. I really dont think many will get this. Maths was the easy part and lots messed up on this. Possibly half will get over 90%. Then for the understanding information. How many here actually finished it not to mind get only a couple wrong? I cant see more than the 100 getting into this bracket.
    the maths was easy...hard to know how the first one went..i got thru but im curious to c my grades in the first tests..i finished both with time to spare

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lonfire1

Lads I heard from a reliable source that two of the lads who got Waterford were in the retained service and not from Waterford . At least ye got through I just missed my chance so in my opinion put yer heads down and do yer best and don't worry about who's from where. Best of luck to all.

gannonalls wrote: »
    lads i wouldnt believe every rumour goen around about the relative thing.. the apptitude tests are completly unbiased..but its a disgrace that they are using the same tests..unreal

No jobs are going straight to relatives, those days are long gone, if a relative does get it they will have earned it. If you dont pass the test your out....simple as, no matter who you are. However if you pass the test because you have sat it before, that is just wrong!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

My brother is in CFB, no relations, no connections, he just got in. He's from Kerry, not Cork. And from how he talks about it, its a great place to work, seem to have a great vibe going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lonfire1

I know its too late now but for the lads that have got through did ye do any courses or get any tuition to help yourselves to prepare for the aptitude tests ?maybe I can better my chances for the future.

lonfire1 wrote: »
    Lads I heard from a reliable source that two of the lads who got Waterford were in the retained service and not from Waterford . At least ye got through I just missed my chance so in my opinion put yer heads down and do yer best and don't worry about who's from where. Best of luck to all.
    one of the lads is defo a retained waterford city fire fighter as i was told by a reliable source in waterford city fire service who is also a retained fire fighter

have any of the lads/ladies who are going down for the video tomorrow managed to get a decent room rate for the hotel i think i will head down tonight just so i dont have to get up super early tomorrow.

i think the web rate is €69 which is ok, but would be nice if there was any discount as we are sitting the test there tomorrow

oh and good luck to all tomorrow

Alot harder today. How many sessions are there?
    Will we need to get over 90 in both again? How many going forward?

Alot harder today. How many sessions are there?
    Will we need to get over 90 in both again? How many going forward?

It's even tougher when you're sitting in the last seat at the back of the room and can't see the bottom of the screen, far too many were squeezed into a room :rolleyes:
    All the info you need is in your familiarization document that was available from Public Jobs.
    Nobody sitting at the back of the room was a happy camper today, serious disadvantage, swaying left and right trying to see the whole screen was a nightmare. Best of luck to us all anyway!

• Advertisement

It will be top group again lads. 90%+ will be needed in both. A guy told me earlier that 15% are going through which would be about 45 people. Those 45 will b interviewed if successful in fitness! If a few fail fitness they will pick the next highest scored applicant from today to do fitness. I was about halfway and the amount of heads in my way. I envy the lads up the front .

Has everyone completed the tests? dont want to give away otherwise

[QUOTE=

has everyone completed the tests? dont want to give away otherwise

I counted 4 centres this morning, approx 30 people in each so looks to be a few sessions. Dunno if they are all today though.

It will be top group again lads. 90%+ will be needed in both. A guy told me earlier that 15% are going through which would be about 45 people. Those 45 will b interviewed if successful in fitness! If a few fail fitness they will pick the next highest scored applicant from today to do fitness. I was about halfway and the amount of heads in my way. I envy the lads up the front .

It will be more than 45 going through, numbers of between 140 - 200 are being discussed. The physical and work related will knock numbers down to about 50 for interviews then.

How did people find it

It will be more than 45 going through, numbers of between 140 - 200 are being discussed. The physical and work related will knock numbers down to about 50 for interviews then.

How did people find it

Fast paced! Especially the second test. U really had to be on the ball!

How did people find it

Well I hope ur right.
    What if most of the 140-200 pass fitness? Then what?
    Can't interview every1.
    U either pass fitness or u don't. There prob won't be like top 100 fittest coz it's a can do it or can't do it test.
    Unless it boils down to a beep test?
    Highest scores get interviewed.

• Advertisement

How did people find it

Well I hope ur right.
    What if most of the 140-200 pass fitness? Then what?
    Can't interview every1.
    U either pass fitness or u don't. There prob won't be like top 100 fittest coz it's a can do it or can't do it test.
    Unless it boils down to a beep test?
    Highest scores get interviewed.

Don't forget about the work related tests. Room for failure there if ppl fail to complete a test in the 3 attempts or in the given time. This may reduce numbers.

Hey all, anybody have any idea of when we'll hear back about our results for the observation tests? Is it next Friday? Also, anyone get any solid information on when the fitness tests would be held? Cheers!

djor88 wrote: »
    Hey all, anybody have any idea of when we'll hear back about our results for the observation tests? Is it next Friday? Also, anyone get any solid information on when the fitness tests would be held? Cheers!

Friday 25th May for results, most likely be sent out on the Thursday again though!
    Fitness tests early June is what was said.

they seem to be moving a lot faster than the tests in waterford as we were waiting good few weeks for our results

It's great it's quick. Waiting till next week is long enough when ur impatient like me.

• Advertisement

Cheers, here's hoping, best of luck to all still in it!

Any more news on the rumour mill? This waiting is not easy, second guessing my answers. You would think a computer scanner system could correct them all in an hour.

It's been a long week waiting alright. Couple more days......

Ughhhhhhhhhh , tomorrow it is then.....

Looks like it, was wishing for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Zorroman

Mate of mine rang them guy's. Going to have to wait until Monday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36 natian08

Are they for real.Leave us sweating this long and now want to leave us the whole weekend.They have less papers to score so whats the problem?

**** sake.
    Joke that is...

Did everyone else get the text off them at least they are keeping us in the loop somewhat

Did everyone else get the text off them at least they are keeping us in the loop somewhat

Keeping us in the loop...that's hilarious, we've been waiting all day and they send out a short text at the end of the day, no explanation, no apology, just wait until Monday. Even the last test was badly run, lads at the back couldn't see the bottom half of the screen at times and no feedback forms were handed out...I mean what's fair about that?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement