Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Fire Brigade Recruitment 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Lezdid

Anyone else hear back today? Happy to say i got through to the video tests. Just have to get time off work now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

I got through.. :)
    In the top 100 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Balls, missed out by 8. Wish all the lads who got through the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Through to next round, well done to all and best of luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭2mature

Well delighted to have made it through ! Condolences to those who didn't. Anybody have any sample ways of preparing for next part they would be appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rallye150flyer

Got through by the skin of my teeth mind you..... Anybody know how many people actually applied just curious as to by how much they cut the numbers by.

seen as the waterford process is still ongoing is it a possibility that cork wants to try catch up and send both classes to England to train together might be some money savings there ?

And what numbers have people heard about how many are needed 16 ish ???

Got through by the skin of my teeth mind you..... Anybody know how many people actually applied just curious as to by how much they cut the numbers by.

seen as the waterford process is still ongoing is it a possibility that cork wants to try catch up and send both classes to England to train together might be some money savings there ?

And what numbers have people heard about how many are needed 16 ish ???

Hey man, I heard something like 1600 did test so its a big cut.
    Theyll probably half the 360 for next round.
    It would make sense 4 cork & waterford to run courses 2gether wouldnt it!

I heard 18 recruits but maybe 12 now due to MONEY.

Do u know where I can see the recruitment process in detail on the internet? I cant find it. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lonfire1

Didn't make it myself unfortunatly , the very best of luck to you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DOBBER112

made the next round...now it gets really interesting **shifty eyes** :D

Hard luck to any that didn't get it, tough times with lack of spending and the fierce amount of competition out there... Yeah it was myself who spoke to public jobs, they said 2400 original applicants, around 1600 sat the tests, now that's down to 360.. Works out at around 1 job for every 30 applicants (if it's 12 positions)....

Just out of interest, where's everybody from? Many here from Cork?

Im Dublin...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DOBBER112

djor88 wrote: »
    Hard luck to any that didn't get it, tough times with lack of spending and the fierce amount of competition out there... Yeah it was myself who spoke to public jobs, they said 2400 original applicants, around 1600 sat the tests, now that's down to 360.. Works out at around 1 job for every 30 applicants (if it's 12 positions)....

Im Dublin...

Isn't it better to just make the phone call rather then speculating, its simple to just give them a call and ask, the worst they could have said was that they couldn't supply the information requested.
    These competitions are tough, the amount of jobs on offer is always low and as you said the competition is fierce. There's plenty that can be done to up your chances but motivation is a must. No matter how far you go, its an opportunity to learn.
    I'm from Limerick myself but currently based in Cork for work.

DOBBER112 wrote: »
    Isn't it better to just make the phone call rather then speculating, its simple to just give them a call and ask, the worst they could have said was that they couldn't supply the information requested.
    These competitions are tough, the amount of jobs on offer is always low and as you said the competition is fierce. There's plenty that can be done to up your chances but motivation is a must. No matter how far you go, its an opportunity to learn.
    I'm from Limerick myself but currently based in Cork for work.

Ah cool, yeah defo, the woman I spoke to was really helpful actually. I had a problem, I posted it up here before. Basically, I had flights booked to Thailand, meant to be going next Tuesday for 3 weeks, back 29th May, I didn't think the process would be so quick..Turns out the tickets are non-refundable, non-changeable, so It looks like I'm gonna drop around 700 quid....Made the decision tonight to cancel trip and go for the tests... If i went and missed this chance to become a firefighter I know I'd always wonder whether or not I could have gotten it...Tough but worse things happen!

Im Dublin...

I'm from Dublin too. Will be makin the trip down to cork again.

Lezdid wrote: »

Cool, hopefully we'll become regulars on the Dublin-Cork train over the next few weeks!

I'm gonna call them up tomorrow and try get some information on the timeframe for the rest of the process, I wonder when they'll look to have their 12 or so potential recruits..Anyone have any solid info?

Cool, hopefully we'll become regulars on the Dublin-Cork train over the next few weeks!

I'm gonna call them up tomorrow and try get some information on the timeframe for the rest of the process, I wonder when they'll look to have their 12 or so potential recruits..Anyone have any solid info?

Nice one, post up here if u find out anything. Iv read on here that the training course is due in Sept. I'm just hopeing this is the case. I'm going away to get married in august so if anything is happening in august there will be no point in ne continuing in the process.

Congratulations! Yeah I've heard that they'll be doing most of the selection process by the end of this month sort of time frame, gives people that time in the summer to sort their job notices out, move if necessary etc... Hopefully September, they were talking about having recruits working by Xmas, which would make sense if training is in September... Here's hoping!

I'll post tomorrow after I talk to the Public Appointments Service

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭The Villain

Ii had no problem finishing the understanding segment of the test , I'd say there was only a select few(100-200)who didn't . I don't think that will factor out many .

The maths part was very easy in my opinion .

Did the people who missed the halve part not listen when the example questions were being re-capped and answered . That's the part that is confusing me .

I'm not trying to be big headed but reading through previous post gives me more confidence in the competition .

Hi Mark, just wondering if you're through? I thought 45 questions just wasn't enough to be seperating 1600 candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭maddog1983

anybody know exactly what the video tests consist of??

Hey all, been on to Public Appts and Cork City, the Public Appts have said that after this next stage (the observation tests), it's down to Cork City Council, so it's out of there hands... But the person I spoke to did say that they believe fitness tests are around 11th June, not to be guaranteed, but it's what they heard.

Cork City Council due to call me back with an approximate timeframe for the whole process, I'm trying to get this as I've to re-arrange flights that were booked... I'll keep you all posted...

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rallye150flyer

Hey all, been on to Public Appts and Cork City, the Public Appts have said that after this next stage (the observation tests), it's down to Cork City Council, so it's out of there hands... But the person I spoke to did say that they believe fitness tests are around 11th June, not to be guaranteed, but it's what they heard.

Cork City Council due to call me back with an approximate timeframe for the whole process, I'm trying to get this as I've to re-arrange flights that were booked... I'll keep you all posted...

This is the same response i got from public appointments, im from dublin myself quite enjoyd the train down so looking forward to the trip again !!!

Do the other Dublin guys think it will go against us much being from Dublin when it comes to the interview stage ??

• Advertisement

This is the same response i got from public appointments, im from dublin myself quite enjoyd the train down so looking forward to the trip again !!!

Do the other Dublin guys think it will go against us much being from Dublin when it comes to the interview stage ??

Hard to know really, we are at a disadvantage alright not knowing the area etc. Just try not to make it an issue if u get to the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭imonboard

Sat the tests yesterday as well, same as, happy enough with how they went, as expected the hall was full, arrived to see about 150 lads standing outside the Arena, I knew i was at the right place haha!

As regards the Observation tests being sit on the 15th, I'm due to be out of the country that day, anyone else have similar problem? I've flights booked and everything, not sure on what can be done, I sat the tests for Waterford and passed them back in December, has anyone contacted Public Appointments Service over something like this before? I wonder how accomodating they are...Any advice appreciated!

To any of the lads that sat the waterford observation test. Would you be able the list the items to look out for? Also do you just have to name the items or do you have to mark on a sheet or plan where they were located.
    Thanks

Quick question for anyone in the know..... Are CFB looking to simply take on one recruits class or will they also be forming a panel from which further classes can be taken??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

imonboard wrote: »
    To any of the lads that sat the waterford observation test. Would you be able the list the items to look out for? Also do you just have to name the items or do you have to mark on a sheet or plan where they were located.
    Thanks

Moderator note - Sorry but this question is in breach of the Forum Charter. It is not permitted to discuss the details of tests , role plays , video's , etc.
    Giving specific details as suggested above is a no-no.
    This extract from the charter should provide clarity.

Thanks

Quick question for anyone in the know..... Are CFB looking to simply take on one recruits class or will they also be forming a panel from which further classes can be taken??
    Hey man,
    I havnt heard bout that. It would be great if they did tho wouldn't it.?
    I just hope it's 18 recruits and not 12.

The observation tests aren't too bad, just keep focussed and I'd say get a good nights rest before hand, the tests aren't tough it's just about keeping cool and not stressing during it...Best of luck to all who are sitting the tests!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 markmaguiree

Ii had no problem finishing the understanding segment of the test , I'd say there was only a select few(100-200)who didn't . I don't think that will factor out many .

The maths part was very easy in my opinion .

Did the people who missed the halve part not listen when the example questions were being re-capped and answered . That's the part that is confusing me .

I'm not trying to be big headed but reading through previous post gives me more confidence in the competition .

Hi Mark, just wondering if you're through? I thought 45 questions just wasn't enough to be seperating 1600 candidates.

Hey , thanks for asking ,

No I was 372 in the order of merit :( . Just missed out , I'll look forward to the feedback at the end of the month .

I can't see them needing to refer back to the panel , never mind 12 places from the cut off .

I was sure I done enough . But it's not to be . I wish all the progressed candidate the best of luck . It will be an amazing career

Hard luck on this one Mark, hopefully you'll get another shot soon enough!

I wonder how many will get through the videos?
    I'd say about 100-150 will get through and then fitness tests!
    Roll on 15th may ;)

• Advertisement

They may not know themselves yet, will prob just be the top group going through again.

Advertisement