Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber Frame Insulation

Options
  • 20-02-2012 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi there,

I would be so grateful to get some advise on the following. I'm turning timber frame barn into a workshop. The walls have been studded out with 3 x 2" and overlapping horizontal larch boards have been used to clad the external walls. I realise i may have made some mistakes though. There is no house wrap and i'm not sure whether the studding is deep enough.

- Does there have to be an air gap between the insulation and cladding ?, if so how could i achieve this on the project ?

- What would be the best insulation to use ?

- Any recommendations on internal cladding, again most cost effective ?

- Would it be worthwhile building doors with insulation in ?

Thank you for any advice, see pics attached

Rupert

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

as you say there is no building paper or battened air-gap between the structure and the larch cladding. what happens when the larch skin lets in moisture and there is no barrier between it and the post and beam structure? your not going to want to hear this but my option would involve taking down the cladding putting up frame between the main post and beam with osb outside, then bitumen paper, then batten, then clad, then worry about insulation..

Advertisement