Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Dont know how people drink cider its a horrible drink altogether and leaves you with the dirtiest hangover ever.

Lots of different ciders and they all taste different.On a hot summers day, a pint of cider is top notch.
    You just need to find the right one.Tried a fair few ciders over the years including bulmers, relorderlig, kopparberg, westons etc. Stella Artois brought out a new cidre recently ,and its top notch.Although their beer is piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Not a fan of beer at all really even the German and Belgian ones all it seems to do is make me drowsy.Spirits all the way for me(Captain Morgan and Vodka)Dont know how people drink cider its a horrible drink altogether and leaves you with the dirtiest hangover ever.

I agree with you on the cider part as i woke up the day after and my whole body looked like i had smallpox lol it was covered in red dots, never drank cider since. yep i would be a spirit guy myself but man the hangovers are bad, must be getting old.

someone said dutch gold will go to a tenner for 8 cans was it, i'm saying nothing as my psychologist bluntly fingers me in the left rib. umm dutch gold, after drinking it for a few days it tastes lovely while chilled though but after not drinking it for a few days and then drinking one well what can i say...puke city, tripple filtered becks all the way goes down like paris hilton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I actually gag at the smell of cider. Years of puking the stuff out in fields has soured my taste for it forever. Do also love my Czech beer. Budvar forever.
    Oh yeah, love the Budvar. So happy that you can get it just aobut anywhere these days.
    kingtut wrote: »
    You can get cider in the czech republic, all the night shops "potravinis" (sp?) have them :) I was there for 3 months last year.
    Thanks, I'll stick that on my list of things to tell my younger self when I build my time machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

jester77 wrote: »
    Beer is my religion.

One of the best things about living Germany, quality beer at quality prices. Love being able to pick up a 6-pack of quality beer on the way home from work for €3.50 in my local supermarket. I could lower my standards and get a 6-pack of crap beer for around €2 but feck that, what's the point!
    I'm planning on working inGermany this summer, and I am genuinely excited for the beer
    ****ing love beer, of many kinds. I can enjoy Heineken and Carlsberg because IMO, they're really not that bad. Not the best obviously, but definitely acceptable. And I like Stella. There has to be some level of beer-snobbery when these are put down so harshly though-I prefer craft beer, but these mainstream ones are fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Nobody's yet mentioned Bishops Finger, Available in Tescos and independent off licences, about 2 euros for 500ml bottle

Serve chilled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Love a good beer!

The only mass produced beer / main stream beer I really drink is Guinness. Mostly I tend to drink Belgian or Czech beers and sometimes a nice IPA from the UK or US.

In comparison Heineken, Carlsberg, Budweiser, Smithwicks, etc is just plain dishwater. Open your eyes and your tastebuds to proper beer people. In fact insist on it in your local pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I was on a bewery tour the other night. So much beer samples :D I like almost all of them, but a couple had a very strong flavour and didn't go down so easy for me. So I like most beers. My fave is the one made from iceberg water, yay Canada!

They had a display of commemorative labels they have done up, one with Bertie Ahearne. The tour guide has been telling people he is popular in Ireland, I set him straight :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Anything but Carlsberg I'll drink, the taste of that makes me want to vomit, hate the stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

The Irish generally drink muck and lots of it, German and belguim tradition beers are lovely. When I was in London I thought I would try a Bitter, I took a sip and it was so foul my face contorted, I genuinely thought the barman was winding me up and serving me slops.

But I have since learned that the Bitters in the north of England are brewed by small breweries and are meant to be gorgeous. I haven't tried one though I haven't being to the north of England in years.

My beer is usually a Heineken.

• Advertisement

44leto wrote: »
    The Irish generally drink muck and lots of it, German and belguim tradition beers are lovely. When I was in London I thought I would try a Bitter, I took a sip and it was so foul my face contorted, I genuinely thought the barman was winding me up and serving me slops.

But I have since learned that the Bitters in the north of England are brewed by small breweries and are meant to be gorgeous. I haven't tried one though I haven't being to the north of England in years.

Some of the local ales in England are savage, although some are pure muck too in fairness.

Belgium and Germany both have mass produced beers too, and they're muck as well IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I've become accustomed to drinking bitter here in Wales. The local brewery here in Cardiff is called Brains and they do a few varieties. It's quite funny at first asking for a "Pint of Brains", lol.

It's generally only around £1.99 to £2.20 a pint too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I hate, hate, hate beer snobbery. It used to be the only beverage type to have escaped the clutches of the pedantic and the pretentious. Such was its very character and purpose - to be relaxed, laid back, not giving a f*ck.

Personally, yes I agree that there are a number of continental beers available on the market which are far more palatable than some of the old stock (Heineken, Carlsberg, Smithicks, Harp (lol), and so on).

But I'm also sick of having a trip to the pub with co-workers turning into an "Obscure Beers of the World Treasure Hunt" for the sake of it. It is getting slightly mad. I really don't care that your beer tastes "floral, with full, cherry aromas and the sharpness of pin to pull it all together. I don't care that this beer was produced by hand in one of the legendary small london breweries... I don't give a shit about how hard it is to find.

I just want beer that tastes nice, so we can move on and talk about something else. I really think some people are just discovering Headless Dog and Desperados and quite losing the run of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I usually drink Heineken but after tasting the Heineken in Amsterdam I just dont seem to enjoy it in Ireland anymore, they taste completely different .

I tried a Japanese beer in a sushi restaurant a while back, it was actually gorgeous, it was red it looked like rose wine when poured into a glass, does anyone know the name of the beer?

later12 wrote: »
    I hate, hate, hate beer snobbery. It used to be the only beverage type to have escaped the clutches of the pedantic and the pretentious. Such was its very character and purpose - to be relaxed, laid back, not giving a f*ck.

Personally, yes I agree that there are a number of continental beers available on the market which are far more palatable than some of the old stock (Heineken, Carlsberg, Smithicks, Harp (lol), and so on).

But I'm also sick of having a trip to the pub with co-workers turning into an "Obscure Beers of the World Treasure Hunt" for the sake of it. It is getting slightly mad. I really don't care that your beer tastes "floral, with full, cherry aromas and the sharpness of pin to pull it all together. I don't care that this beer was produced by hand in one of the legendary small london breweries... I don't give a shit about how hard it is to find.

I just want beer that tastes nice, so we can move on and talk about something else. I really think some people are just discovering Headless Dog and Desperados and quite losing the run of themselves.

Bollox!

People are discovering proper beer as opposed to mass produced, over-priced muck. Why pay €5+ in a pub for a pint of something that you can buy a case of for €15 in Tesco?

You explore a little and you'll find out what real beer is all about! ;)

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Bollox!

People are discovering proper beer as opposed to mass produced, over-priced muck. Why pay €5+ in a pub for a pint of something that you can buy a case of for €15 in Tesco?

You explore a little and you'll find out what real beer is all about! ;)
    That's not really what he was getting at at all

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Pussies drink beer, men drink liquor.

That's not really what he was getting at at all

I know yeah, but the thing is the rade is dying on its knees for the simple reason that nearly every pub provides the same thing, with nothing intersting to entice new / return business. He sees them as beer snobs, I see them as the people who will turn aound the industry through demand for better beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

This has nothing to do with Tesco, you can buy crates of the common beers in tesco, generally not the artisan or unusual beers I'm talking about.

And i have no problem with anyone preferring these beers at all. like I said, I prefer many of these newer beers myself. Just please don't subject others to a meandering treatise on beers of the world.

later12 wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with Tesco, you can buy crates of the common beers in tesco, generally not the artisan or unusual beers I'm talking about.

And i have no problem with anyone preferring these beers at all. like I said, I prefer many of these newer beers myself. Just please don't subject others to a meandering treatise on beers of the world.

20 years ago most restaurants would have max 12 wines on their menu. 4 French white, 4 French red, 1 of each Australian, a sparkling and a Champagne. The only coffee you could get was filter or instant, the only tea - Lyons. These days you have a whole range of choice and it's down to world travel and demand. Consequentially prices of same have come down due to increased competition. Same goes for beer.

Personally I would prefer not to drink in a pub with only main stream / mass produced beer but most of my friends think that's a load of toff and their taste buds aren't able for anything other than the p1ss that is served in most pubs. It's the people that you are criticising that will encourage publicans to provide an alternative to the sh1te we are subjected to in most pubs in Ireland.

I know yeah, but the thing is the rade is dying on its knees for the simple reason that nearly every pub provides the same thing, with nothing intersting to entice new / return business. He sees them as beer snobs, I see them as the people who will turn aound the industry through demand for better beer.
    I'd be the same tbh, only drinking the usual stuff if there's nothing else there, because there is far better stuff. What I don't get is that there's a kind of attitude that I can't enjoy both the great beers and the average (which I do)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Guinness would be the only mass produced drink in your usual pub that I could stomach as it tends to have higher quality standards than the other drinks. I can never drink those sweet fruity beers(except Chocolate stout!), I just don't have those type of taste buds.

Thanks to supermarkets and offies, they have introduced us to good foreign beers!

I'd be the same tbh, only drinking the usual stuff if there's nothing else there, because there is far better stuff. What I don't get is that there's a kind of attitude that I can't enjoy both the great beers and the average (which I do)

I mostly drink Guinness in a pub and I think it's an exceptionally good beer when right. During the week I would drink Staroprammen at home and spend a little more on good Belgian Trappiste / Abbey beers at the weekend. With all the extra taxes and increases on mortgage rates we're down about €1000 a month on expendable income so my Staro consumption has been cut short. Tonight I'm drinking Prazsky, a Czech beer that is brewed by Staroprammen. It's far, far better than Heineken or Carlsberg and while not as good as Staroprammen it is €4 for 4 cans in my local Centra as opposed to €10 for 4 bottles of Staro.

Cheap beer can be good too! ;)

I mostly drink Guinness in a pub and I think it's an exceptionally good beer when right. During the week I would drink Staroprammen at home and spend a little more on good Belgian Trappiste / Abbey beers at the weekend. With all the extra taxes and increases on mortgage rates we're down about €1000 a month on expendable income so my Staro consumption has been cut short. Tonight I'm drinking Prazsky, a Czech beer that is brewed by Staroprammen. It's far, far better than Heineken or Carlsberg and while not as good as Staroprammen it is €4 for 4 cans in my local Centra as opposed to €10 for 4 bottles of Staro.

Cheap beer can be good too! ;)
    Never knew that. Love Staropramen, must check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

The ones that agree with me are warm Bavaria, Carling, Leffe and Duvel. Somehow the rest taste like piss tbh (of those that I've tried).

Oh wait, I tried one that was something like 42% before, wasnt bad...it fcuked me up though, yet somehow I met a nice lady that night...hmmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Well a big part of the problem is a lot of mass produced beers are the most popular because they are the easiest to drink as they have little or no taste. In a country that is obsessed with getting drunk as oppossed to actually tasting beer, the variety that is easy to drink and gets you drunk quickly will always be the most popular which is why everywhere has their Heinken, Carlsberg, Bud etc.

I have never been a big drinker and would always have drank the regular stuff when younger. Then lived in the US where there is a lot of microbreweris and also fortunate enough to have lived in Belgium which is beer paradise. Naturally enough I was initially skeptical of all these strange beers but grew to appreciate them and now would rather have a good tasting beer over the regulars anyday.

I have organised beer tasting nights for friends but they mostly didnt like anything different as they are so stuck on their Heineken, Bulmers.

I do like a good wheat beer.
    I drank Duvel in Belgium which only required 2 before I was on my ass.
    Delerium Tremmins is another lovely Belgian beeer, Kwak too. I am not huge into the very strong Monastery beers or very hoppy beers. Redmonds in Ranelagh is a fantastic place for getting a great variety of beers.

In saying all that, I can still easily go six months without touching beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

Never knew that. Love Staropramen, must check it out.

If you like Staroprammen then try and get you hands on Krusovice. It and Budvar are much better Czech beers if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

I really pity the show offs who go on and on about "rare and fancy beer". Its all a cry for attention to show off how much better they are than everyone else.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good beer myself but I don't yack on and on and on and certainly don't let on I'm an expert. These people need to know that most people know about and also like good beer but don't feel the need to be snobby about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I really pity the show offs who go on and on about "rare and fancy beer". Its all a cry for attention to show off how much better they are than everyone else.

Or maybe they... um like unusual / rare / fancy beer?

Sky King wrote: »
    Or maybe they... um like unusual / rare / fancy beer?

What ? Most people who drink beer like them, its no secret. Just because you (not Sky King personally) like it doesn't mean you gotta yack on and on like an expert in an effort to prove to people how superior your taste in fine beer is. :rolleyes:

Most of these beers are fantastic, but they're considered uncommon because they are purposefully not advertised much ect. This gives the so called "experts" the impression that they are drinking a very rare liquid that not many people know about. Sad is the word for them.

Take a look at beer Blue Moon, its owned and imported by Coors, but they don't advertise this because the pretentious people wouldn't drink it then.

I would think beer is like food, the more you try, the more you will find you like or dislike. I wouldnt think discussing it is being snobbish although I am sure people treat it as such.

This sounds like the typical bitter Irish attitude of regarding anyone who is intersted in anything other than the accepted norm is weird or a show-off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭jay phelan

Desperados Tequila beer is deadly. I'd drink buckets of the stuff. I used to hate the taste of beer until I turned 17 and then it became my usual beverage on a night out.

This sounds like the typical bitter Irish attitude of regarding anyone who is intersted in anything other than the accepted norm is weird or a show-off.

However I would not think these types of beers are anything other than the accepted norm. A lot of people drink them, they just don't feel the need to go on about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Meh, I drink Budweiser or Tiger beer. I'm common like that :o

Would love a beer now, god damn it!

However I would not think these types of beers are anything other than the accepted norm. A lot of people drink them, they just don't feel the need to go on about them.

If you don't hear about them by people talking about them how would you even know they existed?

If you don't hear about them by people talking about them how would you even know they existed?

Shelves in the offo, if I wanted to ask any questions I would ask the people who wok here as they know what they're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Ha really? The guy in my local is like the dude off the savage eye. He would think I was a quare for buying anything other than guinness

He stays open till 12.30 though so I am not complaining

Shelves in the offo, if I wanted to ask any questions I would ask the people who wok here as they know what they're talking about.

What were ya lookin' for? Tsingtao? :D

What were ya lookin' for? Tsingtao? :D

Wheely so solly.

Sky King wrote: »
    Ha really? The guy in my local is like the dude off the savage eye. He would think I was a quare for buying anything other than guinness

He stays open till 12.30 though so I am not complaining

That's a pain in the arse too, when the people working there haven't got a clue. I was having a night in one evening and rang a local offo (it was one I hadn't rang before as we were in my gfs house). I asked him if he had fruli to which he replied he didn't know and went off to check. Came back saying he had erdinger. No i said fruli, he went off, came back on the blower and said no sorry, but we have hunky dorys. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Yes, give me all beer. I'll drink piss from a willy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

What ? Most people who drink beer like them, its no secret. Just because you (not Sky King personally) like it doesn't mean you gotta yack on and on like an expert in an effort to prove to people how superior your taste in fine beer is. :rolleyes:

Most of these beers are fantastic, but they're considered uncommon because they are purposefully not advertised much ect. This gives the so called "experts" the impression that they are drinking a very rare liquid that not many people know about. Sad is the word for them.

Take a look at beer Blue Moon, its owned and imported by Coors, but they don't advertise this because the pretentious people wouldn't drink it then.
    Craft beers are often produced in very small batches mate.

Love the reverse snobbery. People cant stand when others take an interest in finding and enjoying rare or fine versions of anything, be it wine, beer, food, art or whatever.

People who spend their time involved in the craft scene do have superior knowledge of beer than your average Heineken drinker. Its a fun thing for people to do. Theres no need to get upset about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭el oh el

While I certainly agree that there are great beers and bad beers, I'd rather drink a ****ty beer than not drink any beer at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

el oh el wrote: »
    While I certainly agree that there are great beers and bad beers, I'd rather drink a ****ty beer than not drink any beer at all.

If I had a fiver in my pocket and walked into a pub and only saw Heineken, Carlsberg or other crap on tap, I'd take the fiver into a butchers and buy a nice steak instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Don't get me wrong, I like a good beer myself but I don't yack on and on and on and certainly don't let on I'm an expert. These people need to know that most people know about and also like good beer but don't feel the need to be snobby about it.
    I don't think it's showing off. It's just an opinion that most beers actually taste like slop and the nicer ones are rarer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I love strong ales, Belgian and English like Old Crafty Hen and Hens Tooth , pale ales during the summer like Innis And Gunn IPA or a nice cold bottle of tyskie. Always looking for new ones. I have totally given up on wine. Pretentious waynkers drink.
    It absolutely kills me to go to the pub as I have to drink Heineken or Guinness spending more time pissing than drinking.

• Advertisement

el oh el wrote: »

Agreed, I'm a Guinness drinker and I am not too fond of largers such as Heineken, carlsberg etc (Bavaria is by far the best larger imo) but I've drank myself into a ball many times on them when it was either larger or nothing.

That said I'd rather drink Heineken than the gack from brewery pubs that some people go mad for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

When I was in London I thought I would try a Bitter, I took a sip and it was so foul my face contorted, I genuinely thought the barman was winding me up and serving me slops.

Can't speak for many bitters but I personally find Tetley's Bitter delish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Beer is pretty much fantastic.

Everyone's tastes change the more they exercise them, I think. I used to only like Bud, then got a liking for the fuller taste of Heineken, then Guinness draught, and eventually room-temperature Guinness from a bottle. In much the same way I used to love Cadbury's and now love 80% dark chocolates.

There are so many different beers and styles of beer - don't be a beer-monogamist, play the field :) This weekend, try something you've never had before, for better or worse.

How is people talking about beer they like different than people talking about what movies, music, travel destinations or bars, restaurants they like. If you have a friend and they tell you they seen this great movie, do you diss them and suggest they are snobbish or actually consider having a look at it.

I know I have discovered many movies, music groups and places from suggestions made by people I have met. Sometimes people discover things by themselves, sometimes they get ideas or suggestions from other people, its normal. I dont feel like I should only read a movie review or ask people in a music shop for advice. At the end of the days, their opinions are exactly that, opinions. Dont mean they are right.

Like everything there is probably the hipster group who are only interested in being cool but that doesnt apply to everyone who would talk about different beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I'm planning on working inGermany this summer, and I am genuinely excited for the beer
    ****ing love beer, of many kinds.

Over 1300 breweries in germany ,so you won't be stuck for choice.They even make some beers only at certain times,christamas beers etc.I have been over about 7/8 times and I have only tried about 50 different beers.:(
    I'll Just have to go over again...........soon.:D

http://www.german-breweries.com/all_breweries.htm

That does'nt include the vineyards and distilleries:):):):):):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement