Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcycling Stuff in Aldi - Thursday, 1st March

• 20-02-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Biking gear is back in Aldi from Thursday 1st March. Not linked on the website yet but should be shortly.

Compression gear.
    Socks.
    Boots.
    Helmet.
    Gloves.
    Lock.
    Tool Kit.
    Paddock Stand.
    Cover.
    Neck Warmer.
    Balaclava.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

you can never go wrong with socks, compression wear and neck warmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Excellent i just got my bike and need gear, think i'll bypass the helmet from aldi :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

pa990 wrote: »
    you can never go wrong with socks, compression wear and neck warmers.

Yep. Stock up every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

No tank/tail bags this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

positron wrote: »
    No tank/tail bags this time?

Maybe in April when they do it again. Their helmets are rubbish, but their tank bags are great value!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Are their helmets really rubbish?

I was just reading this:

http://www.visordown.com/product-news/a-40-helmet-from-lidl/20133.html

... and wondering if anyone here had actually bought and used one.

Are their helmets really rubbish?

I was just reading this:

http://www.visordown.com/product-news/a-40-helmet-from-lidl/20133.html

... and wondering if anyone here had actually bought and used one.

Apparently, it passes the regulations and tests and has the stamps/stickers to confirm this, but personally - I wouldn't trust it. If you were REALLY short a few quid, you could get one as a temporary fix, but I'd be mindful that it's only this between your head and the road. Using their gloves and boots is fine, but a helmet?? I don't know man. I won't be using one thanks very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

No, no - I actually agree with you dude. I'd be sceptical that my precious brains would be safe inside a 40 Euro bucket, no matter how many safety stickers are on it.

I'd love a Schuberth SR1, as my current lid is battered/scratched/old/smelly and I need a replacement, but, as you said youself, the Aldi one might do as a temporary fix... I was just curious if anyone had tried any "real world" tests on it (experience wearing it I mean.)

I'd love a Schuberth SR1, as my current lid is battered/scratched/old/smelly and I need a replacement, but, as you said youself, the Aldi one might do as a temporary fix... I was just curious if anyone had tried any "real world" tests on it (experience wearing it I mean.)

The Schubert is a good lid. Just save like mad and get one of those instead. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

are the gloves & boots waterproof ?

• Advertisement

Notch000 wrote: »
    are the gloves & boots waterproof ?

Yeah, they're not bad at all! Obviously not as good as Rukka or other Gore-Tex products, but they'll certainly do the job for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I have a Lidl lid. Used it for a few months. Never had any issues with it and feels very solid.

I think why they are so cheap is because of the Lidl way of doing business and the helmets are not as advanced as others out there. They are a little heavier, bulkier and not as aerodynamic.

I'd have no safety concerns with them.

The visor does fog up after a while though. But I've had this will all visors. I use a pinlock now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

One of the reasons that a Lidl/Aldi lid couldn't be trusted is how they're treated by customers in the shops.

I saw a kid bounce one off the floor several times before his parent took it off him, put it back in the box and closed it up.....don't think I'd like that on my head if it were needed!!

(yeah, I know, we may not know how lids are treated elsewhere, but I don't think that regular bike shops let 5 yr olds play with them!!)

gipi wrote: »
    One of the reasons that a Lidl/Aldi lid couldn't be trusted is how they're treated by customers in the shops.

I saw a kid bounce one off the floor several times before his parent took it off him, put it back in the box and closed it up.....don't think I'd like that on my head if it were needed!!

(yeah, I know, we may not know how lids are treated elsewhere, but I don't think that regular bike shops let 5 yr olds play with them!!)

Very good point! You can bet that RPM or Dog's Box or Bikeworld wouldn't let kids NEAR their lids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've an Aldi lid from about 2001 or 2002, can't be sure which.

Open face, and its grand. Lighter and much more comfy than the Arai I'm issued with.

I'd have absolutely no problem buying another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I've an Aldi lid from about 2001 or 2002, can't be sure which.

Open face, and its grand. Lighter and much more comfy than the Arai I'm issued with.

I'd have absolutely no problem buying another.

Please tell me you're not a guard :eek:! The thought of being stopped by you would have me confessing to kidnapping Shergar :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

gipi wrote: »

+1

If you can be first into the shop at opening time then I'd trust one. But once other customers have entered I wouldn't trust them.

I've never needed a lid from Lidl or Aldi so never asked, does anyone know if the staff are trained on handling lids? It's not like most of their other stock that can take a bit of rough handling, do they carefully load them into the cages?

Del2005 wrote: »
    I've never needed a lid from Lidl or Aldi so never asked, does anyone know if the staff are trained on handling lids? It's not like most of their other stock that can take a bit of rough handling, do they carefully load them into the cages?

Are you serious?...

Thats one quango FF/Greens overlooked - a regulator to issues licences out to handle, load & unload motorcycle helmets.

Honestly, motorcycle helmets aren't that delicate.

It's not about them being delicate mate, but they're designed to take one impact. Apparently, even if you drop your own lid (off your seat or handlebars for example) and it bounces off the ground, you're supposed to bin your helmet and get a new one as it's possible that the helmet is damaged internally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

I agree what 'Please Kill Me' above said seems to be the agreed version of it, but I always wondered what happens if a crash involves more than one impact to head. So, yeah, no, they can't or shouldn't be that delicate, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

So, what happens when you buy a lid online, and it is posted to you?

Are all the postmen trained on how to handel the lid? Do they even know they are delivering a lid? Or do they just throw it around, and drop it like all the other post?

P.C. wrote: »

Are all the postmen trained on how to handel the lid? Do they even know they are delivering a lid? Or do they just throw it around, and drop it like all the other post?

I don't (and never will) buy a lid online, for that very reason. A trip to Cotters, or RPM, or Crossans is much more fun. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

It's not about them being delicate mate, but they're designed to take one impact. Apparently, even if you drop your own lid (off your seat or handlebars for example) and it bounces off the ground, you're supposed to bin your helmet and get a new one as it's possible that the helmet is damaged internally.

Maybe you should change your username to "please wrap me in cotton wool"
    But seriously though the dropping off the seat example applies to a thousand euro top of the range ARAI as well as a forty five euro cheapy.
    I cant remember ever reading any statistics stating a rider would have had a lesser injury in an accident if they had been wearing a better quality helmet, other than those wearing open faced helmets.

Maybe you should change your username to "please wrap me in cotton wool"

Why????? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Looks like they moved the offers to Thursday 1st Match - details online now:
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week09Thursday12.htm?WT.z_src=main

Can a mod edit the thread title to reflect the correct day ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Are you serious?...

Thats one quango FF/Greens overlooked - a regulator to issues licences out to handle, load & unload motorcycle helmets.

Motorcycle helmets aren't that delicate, but my head is. Have you ever seen the way stock is handled in shops?

There's no need for a quango, but we've all seen the customers in Lidl/Aldi bouncing the helmets off the ground and they are all just placed back in the bin for some sucker to purchase.
    P.C. wrote: »

That's a risk you take when buying cheap. It may save you a few Euro when buying, only thing is you may never know how much it'll cost you in the end.

Could be the same in a bike shop. But at least when a lid is being shipped from the manufacture/whole seller to the shop they are using trained couriers, which is a requirement for quality certs. And the sales people in the shop know not to drop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

rgfuller wrote: »
    Looks like they moved the offers to Thursday 1st Match - details online now:
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week09Thursday12.htm?WT.z_src=main

Can a mod edit the thread title to reflect the correct day ?

Done.

Motorcycle helmets aren't that delicate, but my head is. Have you ever seen the way stock is handled in shops?

There's no need for a quango, but we've all seen the customers in Lidl/Aldi bouncing the helmets off the ground and they are all just placed back in the bin for some sucker to purchase.

We all have?.

That's a risk you take when buying cheap. It may save you a few Euro when buying, only thing is you may never know how much it'll cost you in the end.

And the risk is that it might have been dropped?.. You think if someone in a reputable motorcycle shop dropped a helmet that it wouldn't be put back on the shelves?.. Unless its chipped you can bet your life they'd put it back out.
    But at least when a lid is being shipped from the manufacture/whole seller to the shop they are using trained couriers, which is a requirement for quality certs. And the sales people in the shop know not to drop them.

Your making this up as you go along, do you really think couriers give a toss?.

I'm not being argumentative for the craic of it, but you really haven't been around that long if thats what you believe.

Don't let good marketing make up feel you've to part with your hard earned money for the most expensive lid, same goes for leathers and other gear - how many rider's do you see with knee sliders which will never slide or aero-humps on the backs of jackets. Or Rossi replicate gloves & boots etc.

Anyway, looked at the link. I was looking for a new open face for the summer, so the one on offer won't suit me anyway thanks for the heads up OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

Did aldi change the date for these to go on sale was up in my local store and there was no motorbike gear to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭rgfuller

It should be there, I'm just back from an Aldi with the motorcycle tool kit and was very tempted by the axle stand (a bit bulky in the box).

Advertisement