Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcycling Stuff in Aldi - Thursday, 1st March

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Had a nose in the one in Sandyford and there was stuff there, not much mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Picked up some gear in Waterford today aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Had a nose in the one in Sandyford and there was stuff there, not much mind you.

I was there at lunch. Most of the stuff was gone. A guy in the car park told me to hurry up because lads were coming out with trolleys full of bike gear. I must have looked like a man with an obvious mission heading in! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

It's not about them being delicate mate, but they're designed to take one impact. Apparently, even if you drop your own lid (off your seat or handlebars for example) and it bounces off the ground, you're supposed to bin your helmet and get a new one as it's possible that the helmet is damaged internally.

Thats nonsense, they're designed to take an impact with a head in them, dropping them off your bike seat doesnt mean you have to throw them away. the outer shell is tough enough to handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

I've an Aldi lid from about 2001 or 2002, can't be sure which.

Open face, and its grand. Lighter and much more comfy than the Arai I'm issued with.

I'd have absolutely no problem buying another.

Motorcycle Helmets made from Fibreglass have a 'life' of about 8 years max.
    depending on usage. If you regularly use a helmet (daily) then after a max. of 8 years the Fibreglass may have been degraded by Ultra Violet (Sunshine) light to a point when it's performance characteristics will have altered.
    Check for fading of original colour or cracking in the finish, particularly around air vents. If you see this, change your lid.

Most manufacturers supply a Helmet Bag with the Helmet. To maximise it's useful life, and maintain the look of an expensive lid, always bag your lid.
    (NB; Do not bag your lid when riding)

And remember .....

You wear it every time you ride

BUT YOU'LL ONLY NEED IT ONCE

• Advertisement

echomadman wrote: »
    Thats nonsense, they're designed to take an impact with a head in them, dropping them off your bike seat doesnt mean you have to throw them away. the outer shell is tough enough to handle it.

Four basic components work together to provide protection in
    the motorcycle helmet: an outer shell; an impact-absorbing liner;
    the comfort padding; and a good retention system.
    What we see first is the outer shell, usually made from some family
    of fiber-reinforced composites or thermoplastics like polycarbonate.
    This is tough stuff, yet it's designed and intended to compress when
    it hits anything hard.That action disperses energy from the impact to
    lessen the force before it reaches your head, but it doesn't act alone
    to protect you.
    Inside the shell is the equally important impact-absorbing liner,
    usually made of expanded polystyrene (commonly thought of as
    Styrofoam). This dense layer cushions and absorbs the shock as the
    helmet stops and your head wants to keep on moving.
    Both the shell and the liner compress if hit hard, spreading the forces
    of impact throughout the helmet material. The more impact-energy
    deflected or absorbed, the less there is of it to reach your head and
    do damage. Some helmet shells delaminate on impact. Others may
    crack and break if forced to take a severe hit; this is one way a helmet
    acts to absorb shock. It is doing its intended job. Impact damage
    from a crash to the non-resilient liner may be invisible to the eye; it
    may look great, but it probably has little protective value left and
    should be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

echomadman wrote: »

Yup, if I was to replace every helmet I've accidently dropped I'd have died from starvation years ago.

'The outer shell is tough enough to handle it'

do damage.

The only way you will ever know whether your lid is 100% after dropping it is
    (a) checking the outer shell for scratching and shaking it to see if it rattles
    (b) Waking up in A/E and thinking / talking / moving post accident
    (c) Not waking up post accident

It's not your head you're protecting, it's your brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Yup, if I was to replace every helmet I've accidently dropped I'd have died from starvation years ago.

PMSL! Likewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

For Paws wrote: »
    Four basic components work together to provide protection in
    the motorcycle helmet: an outer shell; an impact-absorbing liner;
    the comfort padding; and a good retention system.
    What we see first is the outer shell, usually made from some family
    of fiber-reinforced composites or thermoplastics like polycarbonate.
    This is tough stuff, yet it's designed and intended to compress when
    it hits anything hard.That action disperses energy from the impact to
    lessen the force before it reaches your head, but it doesn't act alone
    to protect you.
    do damage. Some helmet shells delaminate on impact. Others may
    crack and break if forced to take a severe hit; this is one way a helmet
    acts to absorb shock. It is doing its intended job. Impact damage
    from a crash to the non-resilient liner may be invisible to the eye; it
    may look great, but it probably has little protective value left and
    should be replaced.

Sorry, but I hate this stuff. Sales people write this stuff (maybe from their www, maybe through a reviewer) and people take it on as gospel. This is a sales pitch, of course it is. Cause this way we buy more helmets.
    If I paid E400 for helmet that became useless after a little drop, I wouldn't want to be wearing it in an accident.

• Advertisement

ogriofa wrote: »
    Sorry, but I hate this stuff. Sales people write this stuff (maybe from their www, maybe through a reviewer) and people take it on as gospel. This is a sales pitch, of course it is. Cause this way we buy more helmets.
    If I paid E400 for helmet that became useless after a little drop, I wouldn't want to be wearing it in an accident.

He cut and pasted the info from HERE (its a PDF doc) and chose not to provide a link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

This "ha ha Aldi helmet" thing comes up over and over and over, doesn't it? Fair bit of snobbishness goes on, even to the extent of sneering at safety stickers as though they are meaningless in themselves - it's the fancy paintwork that really protects you afterall!! ;)

I remember reading - though can't remember where now - how cheaper helmets are often far better protection in real world situations precisely because they can stand multiple impacts whereas high end helmets were designed with the idea of protection against very high speed, catastrophic impacts - after the rider hit the ground once, the second impact can do serious damage. Definitely would be very wary myself of buying a lid in Lidl, or Aldi, that had been sitting about a while but this idea of "most of us have seen helmets being bounced on the ground" is just farcical (presumably, the electric pancake makers, kettles, and what not, are also being bounced too while all the staff stand by enjoying the spectacle?).

art wrote: »
    this idea of "most of us have seen helmets being bounced on the ground" is just farcical (presumably, the electric pancake makers, kettles, and what not, are also being bounced too while all the staff stand by enjoying the spectacle?).

Thats a very good point.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I got a few bits last week, the neck warmer and the pants for underneath. Will come in handy. I would have got a helmet tot have as a spare but they did not have small size. I want to bring my girlfriend out on my bike - I already have a ladies leather jacket for her but I do not have a help met yet. Yes I know you should not buy cheap helps etc etc - but there's no way I'm spending €200 when she might only come on the bike with me once and then never again. Any other idea where I can get a really cheap one?

Zascar wrote: »
    I got a few bits last week, the neck warmer and the pants for underneath. Will come in handy. I would have got a helmet tot have as a spare but they did not have small size. I want to bring my girlfriend out on my bike - I already have a ladies leather jacket for her but I do not have a help met yet. Yes I know you should not buy cheap helps etc etc - but there's no way I'm spending €200 when she might only come on the bike with me once and then never again. Any other idea where I can get a really cheap one?

Scooter Island on Usher Quay has some nice open face helmets for less than €100.

I seen some really nice small helmets over in Bikeworld during the week too.

Scooter Island on Usher Quay has some nice open face helmets for less than €100.

I seen some really nice small helmets over in Bikeworld during the week too.

Yeh, but he said "where can I get a cheap one?" :pac:

Cotters do good deals in helmets, as do RPM in Drogheda. Up to recently he was clearing out last year's stock for f**k all to make room for 2012 stock.

Yeh, but he said "where can I get a cheap one?" :pac:

Cotters do good deals in helmets, as do RPM in Drogheda. Up to recently he was clearing out last year's stock for f**k all to make room for 2012 stock.

The lad said he was looking for a S size, they're usually cheaper as not as many sell.. Tbh, I found Cotter's useless but I was looking for a specific open face and in Bikeworld I was spoilt for choice.

Cheapest for what I wanted believe it or not was Bikeworld or Scooter Island on the quays.

Bikeworld - always try negotiate a lower price, they need the sales ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

The lad said he was looking for a S size, they're usually cheaper as not as many sell.. Tbh, I found Cotter's useless but I was looking for a specific open face and in Bikeworld I was spoilt for choice.

Cheapest for what I wanted believe it or not was Bikeworld or Scooter Island on the quays.

Bikeworld - always try negotiate a lower price, they need the sales ;)
    If they had their prices lower in the first place they'd get the sales.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    If they had their prices lower in the first place they'd get the sales.

There ya go!! biggrin.gif

Advertisement