Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic designers ruining the web?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

p wrote: »
    And therefore, you continue to think that's the only way it could possibly be in the entire world.
    How boring.

I never said it's the only way it could possibly be. But it's the most cost efficient and productive way to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

smash wrote: »
    I never said it's the only way it could possibly be. But it's the most cost efficient and productive way to be.

But it often diminishes quality. There are very few designers that I'd trust to code even front end code and particularly JavaScript with any degree of competence. I know many do but many don't. And those who don't, quite often, are very talented creatively.

But it often diminishes quality.
    Then people should use a different agency if they feel the quality of the product is crap.
    There are very few designers that I'd trust to code even front end code and particularly JavaScript with any degree of competence.
    And I've yet to meet a developer that I would trust to chop up a design without losing quality.
    I know many do but many don't. And those who don't, quite often, are very talented creatively.
    I never said you can't be creatively talented just because you can't code. I said if you can't code then I don't consider you a web designer, I consider you a graphic designer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Then people should use a different agency if they feel the quality of the product is crap.

I'd agree.
    And I've yet to meet a developer that I would trust to chop up a design without losing quality.

I code pixel-perfect every time. You're obviously working with crap developers.
    I never said you can't be creatively talented just because you can't code. I said if you can't code then I don't consider you a web designer, I consider you a graphic designer.

What if you're designing for the web? Your own personal definitions and what you consider to be a 'web designer' doesn't really count for much. If you're designing websites for a living, whether you code or not, you're a web designer. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You need to get out of the company you are in then! I mean.. how?! I might not be a designer but I'll be damned if I don't know a **** load about image processing, quality and typography.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

What level do they need to code to?

Giblet wrote: »
    What level do they need to code to?
    CSS and HTML at a bare minimum. Even at that level they can have placeholders for jquery related content that someone else can drop in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Fecking Indians

Advertisement