Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

door to door sales pests Grrr

• 20-02-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

Has any of you guys been pestered by dood to door sales people selling anything from sky tv to rubbish colecting==
    I am sick of these persons calling even though I have sky and its clearly visible by the dish,bin service,insurance,gutter cleaning,grass cutting even though i have tarmac, also sick of junk mail and leaflets that I dont want.
    any good ways to deter these pests (legally) I put up notices in 15 languages saying NO LEAFLETS OR JUNK MAIL but to no avail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

How about 'door-to-door salespeople will be treated as trespassers on my property under the new legislation allowing force to be used to safeguard said property!' :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Think there's something about that, that says, a person is not trespassing on your property (enabling you to use that new law) unless they cross your threshold. They can however walk up to your front door. Now to did out where I found that out! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

LB6 wrote: »
    Think there's something about that, that says, a person is not trespassing on your property (enabling you to use that new law) unless they cross your threshold. They can however walk up to your front door. Now to did out where I found that out! :D
    I would like that to include my drive or pathway,,pity we dont have US laws,,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭ObviouslyJesus

the cheek of some people trying to start,maintain or grow a business during reecessionary times :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Eire sun

the cheek of some people trying to start,maintain or grow a business during reecessionary times :eek:

This be true, the hard work involved in opening a door and saying "No thanks"...Its all too much :P

• Advertisement

You try saying "no Thanks, I'm not interested" to somebody who is determined not to hear you and only wants to get the banter out, even if it means talking over you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

TBH, I think there's a huge difference in door to door salesmen for newly started industry and the likes of Sky, UPC, Insurance firms, etc.

Recently, I posted here about a guy that was starting a milk round, he was selling bottled milk from a farm in Clonlara. As I felt it was a local business and instead of I buying milk from Tesco/Superquin/Dunnes which probably originated outsdie the country I gave him my small order. If he didn't so door to door then the chances are I'd never have made the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

for me it all comes down to the tone and the approach of the salesman

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Just remember that these sales people are just doing a job like everyone else (I'm in sales myself but nothing to do with either door to door or cold calling).
    Sales people working for these large companies are looking for your business (1) can often save you money (2) May offer you added benefits that you do not possess with your existing insurance, cable, broadband etc provider.

Boards is a great place for people complaining about the price of x & y but when we get someone coming to our door with the possibility of saving us money the O.P. and others are a step away from forming a mob

I can understand that some of the door to door sales people may not have the basic training they should have in dealing with the public but a vast majority of them will be nice and polite and apologise for wasting your time or disturbing you. All I’m saying is be polite, work is hard for everyone these days and just like the rest of us these people want to finish work at the end of the day and spend it with their families or friends like everyone else.

Buglim wrote: »
    Just remember that these sales people are just doing a job like everyone else (I'm in sales myself but nothing to do with either door to door or cold calling).
    Sales people working for these large companies are looking for your business (1) can often save you money (2) May offer you added benefits that you do not possess with your existing insurance, cable, broadband etc provider.

Boards is a great place for people complaining about the price of x & y but when we get someone coming to our door with the possibility of saving us money the O.P. and others are a step away from forming a mob

I can understand that some of the door to door sales people may not have the basic training they should have in dealing with the public but a vast majority of them will be nice and polite and apologise for wasting your time or disturbing you. All I’m saying is be polite, work is hard for everyone these days and just like the rest of us these people want to finish work at the end of the day and spend it with their families or friends like everyone else.

I agree to an extent but the bigger companies should ensure their cold callers are properly trained and they should also be in a better position to advertise their "reduced prices" and allow potential customers to contact them directly rather than being door stepped just as you're about to sit down for dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

phog wrote: »
    I agree to an extent but the bigger companies should ensure their cold callers are properly trained and they should also be in a better position to advertise their "reduced prices" and allow potential customers to contact them directly rather than being door stepped just as you're about to sit down for dinner.

Most of them are properly trained. The door to door sales is just another sales/marketing tool used in conjunction with advertising and if you are being honest, how many times has your dinner been disturbed?
    It's just fact that quiet often the decision makers in a household are there after 6pm in the evening and this is the time to make these sales.
    I agree that it is not ideal but many people on this forum who would take the same tack as yourself would not have jobs without the salesman either in their companies or someplace along the supply chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

I do agree that these people are trying to make a living,unlike the dossers who just live on handouts,but when you try to say no in a civilised manner some just dont take no for an answer and even get a bit peed off.
    I remember getting 8 callers in one week and thats annoying when they are selling what i already have.

Buglim wrote: »
    Most of them are properly trained. The door to door sales is just another sales/marketing tool used in conjunction with advertising and if you are being honest, how many times has your dinner been disturbed?
    It's just fact that quiet often the decision makers in a household are there after 6pm in the evening and this is the time to make these sales.
    I agree that it is not ideal but many people on this forum who would take the same tack as yourself would not have jobs without the salesman either in their companies or someplace along the supply chain.

I'm not knocking the door to door salesman. I do think the 6pm call is bound to disturb dinner. I also think the bigger companies should be able to survive without door to door salemen.

As for training, the most recent one I can think of, was a guy from one of the electrical companies asking me to make the switch and he was anything but trained. All he wanted was for me to sign on the dotted line. He seemed to have been trained on the nod when the customer talks, then come back with a sale pitch rather than answer my questions - ignore everything but the sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This reminds me, Airtricity are due their bi-monthly "I'm still not interested." answer at my door.

BTW most of these people do not work directly for the companies they are representing at your door. And their training on how to deal with the public leaves alot to be desired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

AFAIK if they open your gate they are trespassing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Them guys that sell the frozen fish just drive right up to the back door give a knock then sit back in there little white van waiting for you to answer the back door bloody cheek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 madnad1234

what would people think of a fruit and veg run door to door good prices and excellent quality

That was done for years in Dooradoyle, when I was younger. Every Friday afternoon.

Just as long as you don't go knocking on doors. Ppl will come to you, once they get to know your routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 misswhat

I worked as a door to door charity fundraiser for a couple for weeks, and aside from the feel-good factor or helping an Irish charity, it was the worst job I have ever done. I would go to a door immediately show ID, and give "the shpeale". I hated disturbing people who clearly weren't interested but didn't want to be rude. I saw others in the job (the manager imparticular) who would clearly and purposely make people feel uncomfortable. After that I felt so horrible I would go to a door and state that I was doing a survey. Ask a simple question and leave. I then left the job! If someone is interested, they will tell/ show you, if not, leave them alone for God's sake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Guy was going around our estate yesterday putting fliers in doors, god knows what he was flogging as all we got was a blank a4 piece of paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 misswhat

bodonnell wrote: »
    Guy was going around our estate yesterday putting fliers in doors, god knows what he was flogging as all we got was a blank a4 piece of paper.

That's hilarious!!!!!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That was done for years in Dooradoyle, when I was younger. Every Friday afternoon.

Just as long as you don't go knocking on doors. Ppl will come to you, once they get to know your routine.

That was most likely the Jordons. They have/had a house on the road that was between Dooradoyle and the golf links road (the road if one keeps going in a straight line after going beyond Oakleigh Woods heading towards the golf course direction). Pretty sure that road is closed off by the old railway crossing now, turning it into two cul de sacs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

What happens if Crazy Bob the Gutter and Window guys falls from his ladder in my back garden and is hurt ? It'd probably be better for me if I finish him off and bury him .. ?

Had a lunatic ( and sidekick ) doing my windows a few weeks ago - they needed doin, and I answered the door to this chap with bucket and ladder, but after 5 mins I was regretting it .... he was on speed, his partner was dumb as a doughnut, and they left my windows in worst state than when they arrived. They were running up and down the ladder, leaning to reach corners - was sure someone was gonna fall !!!

He broke my outside tap. Left with parts of my hose, smeared the windows, and was just generally crazy !!!

Never again ... beware of Crazy guy doin windows ......

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

madnad1234 wrote: »
    what would people think of a fruit and veg run door to door good prices and excellent quality

I'd love this service.., have a milkman the last few months and it's really great.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

I had a sky salesman call to my house at quarter past in the evening.

That's just fcking stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Figerty

Just put a sign.

"Jehovahs Witnesses inside.. if you knock we will try to convert you!"

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

My god getting up of your sofa to answer some1 who does not know u hate been disturbed or have had others at your door, shocking stuff alright......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I don't like people calling to my door.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Stay away from Frank the painter too, left my house looking like a horror house, black paint dribbling down over white.....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

hatz7 wrote: »
    I had a sky salesman call to my house at quarter past in the evening.

That's just fcking stupid.

I had one call at 8.15pm one evening.....politely told home to get lost.

Advertisement