Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Shoes at the door in House Share

Options
  • 20-02-2012 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Has anyone implemented a shoes off at the door in a house share? I just got new carpets and my Ukrainian friend says its pretty normal for people to leave their shoes inside the door when they go inside a house in his homeland. I love walking around barefoot in slippers but there must be a lot of germs brought in from the house. I spoke to my house mates about it and they all had faces on them about it. :confused: I said would it be ok to leave the shoes at the hall table and wear slippers or socks around the house but they were all very negative about it. Any thoughts peeps?

"Thats a pain"
    "I prefer to have my shoes on to be honest"

http://shoesoffatthedoorplease.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Mad idea and impossible to enforce. It may be a part of other cultures to do that, but it is not a part of ours. I prefer to walk around barefoot too, but no one has the right to dictate to me that I can't wear shoes in my own home if I want to. It is their home too. If you had made it a condition of their moving in in the first place, fair enough. You didn't (I presume) so its unfair to want to do so after the fact imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Each to their own. I can see why you would want to but its not really something that you can force on others in your house share.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Has anyone implemented a shoes off at the door in a house share? I just got new carpets and my Ukrainian friend says its pretty normal for people to leave their shoes inside the door when they go inside a house in his homeland.

It is common practice here in Finland. Also in Sweden, Germany and several other countries where I have lived or visited often. Of course, we also have good central heating.:):)
    I love walking around barefoot in slippers but there must be a lot of germs brought in from the house...

There's a solution to that problem. We call it "keeping the floor clean".:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

I like to walk around in my own house in my socks to let my feet breathe.
    But i really hate it when I call to a friends house and am asked to leave my shoes at the door. It pisses me off big time. So much so that I dont call around to them again. Im not the only one who hates that either.

The problem I have with it is that in my own house it doesnt matter if there is a hole in my sock when i take my shoes off, or if my feet have been sweating all day. But I really hate it when i have to remove shoes in someone elses and might have a hole in my socks or smelly feet.

At least in my own house I can quickly change socks or put some shoes on. Imagine being in a friends house with your big toe sticking out or a pong off your socks. And since they have asked you to remove your shoes they just sit there and bare it. Uncomfortable for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I would be a bit shy in case my feet were a state but I can understand why people implement it. Perhaps spare slippers for visitors?

Is it your house op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I spoke to my house mates about it
    A) Do you own the house?
    B) When your house mates moved in, was there anything in the lease about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

the_syco wrote: »
    A) Do you own the house?
    B) When your house mates moved in, was there anything in the lease about this?

Yup its my house, Im the landlord. No nothing about this was in the lease I just thought it up seeing as we just got new carpet laid in the front room and hallways and lounge. It was just an idea i was toying with since its a big deal with them ill probably scrap it to be honest:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Yeah scrap the idea OP. You're a landlord, not a kindergarten teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭OUTOFSYNC

It's the norm in Canada and Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I'm in the same position - owner occupier - and although there isn't a "rule" per se we have a shoe rack in the hallway and the housemates take off our shoes MOST of the time - sometimes we run upstairs if we're in a hurry (I'm the worst offender tbf)

I'm living with 2 Germans and a French student and all their friends are from the continent mainly so they will also take of their shoes when the come over, they're used to doing this at home.

you could try putting a shoe rack in the hallway and tell them they can use it if they want, no obligation to do so. If your living with all Irish though I'd say they won't, it doesn't really seem to be in our culture - except maybe for people who have lived abroad/married non-Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

If you're my landlord and you've just paid to have a new carpet put it, I would have no problem in kicking off my shoes before going into that room. Especially if it is a light colour. Anyone who can't respect the fact that you've paid money for something that looks nice, and that might be ruined by muddy footprints is an a-hole IMO. I have a friend who re-carpeted and asks that we don't wear shoes in his front room when we're visiting, and I have no problem with it.

What's the big deal, people, in kicking off your shoes in the hall? If you're worried about the smell maybe you should wash your feet more often! And buy some new socks! Unless someone I am visiting is wearing shoes in their own house, I would kick mine off. I wouldn't need to be asked!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

I'm in the same position - owner occupier - and although there isn't a "rule" per se we have a shoe rack in the hallway and the housemates take off our shoes MOST of the time - sometimes we run upstairs if we're in a hurry (I'm the worst offender tbf)

I'm living with 2 Germans and a French student and all their friends are from the continent mainly so they will also take of their shoes when the come over, they're used to doing this at home.

you could try putting a shoe rack in the hallway and tell them they can use it if they want, no obligation to do so. If your living with all Irish though I'd say they won't, it doesn't really seem to be in our culture - except maybe for people who have lived abroad/married non-Irish people.

What do you do when your housemates have guests over. What if someone arrived up to see their friend and had stinking, sweaty feet after being out all day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If you're that worried put down some rugs for the duration of the houseshare. When tenants move in it becomes their home too, and I'm sure they didn't ask you for nice new carpets. Bringing in a new rule afterwards is not on IMO.

I'm with the poster who said they wouldn't call round to a friend's house again if they were asked to take their shoes off. It shows a lack of hospitality. A friend had an even worse experience...on a visit to a relative she wasn't allowed to sit on the cream couch in her dark jeans in case some of the dye transferred!

All this is tempered by the fact that I hate feet. I would much rather people kpt their shoes on around me and I hate flip flop and sandal season :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

As a compromise could you maybe suggest that your housemates have a pair of house shoes they change into when they return home? Some people hate slippers etc. and it's not fair to change the rules after the fact. But a cleaner house pair would be much better for the carpets than an outdoors pair with all the mud and muck on them. I would have no issues with designating a pair of flats or light trainers to be worn around the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

athtrasna wrote: »

I'm with the poster who said they wouldn't call round to a friend's house again if they were asked to take their shoes off. It shows a lack of hospitality.

I wouldn't ask people to take off their shoes.....you're right, it shows a lack of hospitality.

But at the same time, not taking off your shoes without being asked (if your friend whose house it is isn't wearing them) and then walking around on their carpets is ignorant beyond belief!!!!

Agree it is a very inhospitable thing to ask guests to do. If I knew someone had a very expensive antique rug that they were very picky about people walking on, I think that I would be happy to accommodate them. But average, common or garden carpets? Nope. If I am going to let part of my home out to strangers, I wouldn't be getting pale coloured installed in the first place.

When it comes to house mates, I think that a 'no shoes' policy is unworkable overall, unless it has been agreed to ahead of time. What if I am getting ready for work in the morning, I get dressed in my own room, I head to front door, I put my boots or shoes on at the door and I forget something that I left in my room. Do I have to go thru the rigmarole of taking the bloody boots off, go back to my room, and then head back to the front door and repeat the process all over again?

Also, everyone doesn't wear easy to kick off slip on shoes. Boots and lace up shoes are much easier to put on and take off if you are sitting down. You can't really do that in a hall way.

Agree with the suggestion of putting down rugs instead. That could solve a lot of the OP's problem. Also agree with putting a shoe rack in the hall, and hope that people take the hint without pissing them off. Who knows, they may appreciate somewhere else to store their shoes, that will free up space in their wardrobes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I love to take my shoes off as soon as I get in the house, though rather illogically I am well into the house before I take them off so it doesn't improve hygiene issues. If I am in a friend's house where I know they wont mind I would take my shoes off, but mostly I don't.

I would quite like a system where shoes are routinely removed at the door, there must be an awful lot of dirt walked into houses, but it is not accepted enough here to do it. Maybe a kind of disposable slippers would work for guests, though someone dressed up and in heels might feel a bit uncomfortable in them. I did have someone once destroy a hall parquet floor by trotting around in steel tipped stillettoes so i have limited sympathy for that situation :D

I couldn't see myself asking random callers such as workmen to remove footwear, so I don't think it is going to happen!

What do you do when your housemates have guests over. What if someone arrived up to see their friend and had stinking, sweaty feet after being out all day?

It happened the other night, one of the lads has a friend over from the States who had literally travelled overnight and hadn't taken off their shoes until they got to our house - of course her feet stank. She said sorry, ran upstairs and quickly washed them - no big deal.

Most of the continentals seem to take better care of their feet/body hygiene than we Irish though as no-one else ever had bad smelling feet when they took off their shoes.

Its not a hard and fast rule, no-one HAS TO take off their shoes or leave the house if they won't, its just a nice curteous thing to do.

My brother and his wife also have the same rule and its never bothered our wide range of friends. Most people now know you take off your shoes in that house so they are more careful what they wear for socks

ProudDUB wrote: »
    When it comes to house mates, I think that a 'no shoes' policy is unworkable overall, unless it has been agreed to ahead of time. What if I am getting ready for work in the morning, I get dressed in my own room, I head to front door, I put my boots or shoes on at the door and I forget something that I left in my room. Do I have to go thru the rigmarole of taking the bloody boots off, go back to my room, and then head back to the front door and repeat the process all over again?
    We're not that rigid here, its more of a "if you can take them off great, otherwise no worries mate!"
    Also, everyone doesn't wear easy to kick off slip on shoes. Boots and lace up shoes are much easier to put on and take off if you are sitting down. You can't really do that in a hall way .

I wear high workboots normally as I have a sore foot and am afraid of people stepping on my feet - its hardest for me to take on/of my shoes out of all 4 housemates but tbh its not that difficult, couple of seconds instead of 2 seconds
    Also agree with putting a shoe rack in the hall, and hope that people take the hint without pissing them off. Who knows, they may appreciate somewhere else to store their shoes, that will free up space in their wardrobes.
    Its already become a second wardrobe :p I'm looking at extending the shoe rack upwards - it can only hold 10 pairs at the moment and we need more space with, funnily enough, the one who has the most being myself, the sole male in the house:eek:

Has anyone ever seen the Sex and the City ep where Carrie was made take her shoes off prior to entering the home of newly married friends for their house warming party? Another guest made off with her $500 Manohlo's. When she approached the hosts for some sort of compensation, or the phone numbers of other guests so she could potentially track down the shoe thief, she was told to eff off & buy cheaper shoes.

Then to add insult to injury they said that they were not responsible for supporting her extravagant life style. All this to a woman who had brought an equally expensive house warming gift to their home, and bought them an equally expensive pressie for their wedding, that they were only too happy to accept. End of friendship. People & relationships are always more important than things imo.

It is one of my favorite episodes of the show as unlike most eps of the show, it deals with every day stuff that real life folks like us have to deal with. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

steve9859 wrote: »
    But at the same time, not taking off your shoes without being asked (if your friend whose house it is isn't wearing them) and then walking around on their carpets is ignorant beyond belief!!!!

For real? I'd find it the exact opposite. Just because I choose not to wear my shoes in my own house doesn't mean I am ok with someone taking off their shoes in my house. Most people tend to wear slippers/stockings around their house sometimes, it would be extremely presumptuous to assume that just because you called around on one of those times that you can take your shoes off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭ronjo

iguana wrote: »
    For real? I'd find it the exact opposite. Just because I choose not to wear my shoes in my own house doesn't mean I am ok with someone taking off their shoes in my house. Most people tend to wear slippers/stockings around their house sometimes, it would be extremely presumptuous to assume that just because you called around on one of those times that you can take your shoes off too.

I am with Steve on this one.
    In the continent its totally normal and people always leave spare slippers or house shoes by the door.
    The only person ever to comment to me about it was my sister in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Am I the only person who feels that carpets/rugs are on a floor to be walked on, and as such the idea of tiptoeing around on them seems somewhat laughable? I can understand that carpets are expensive and look nice when new and clean, and obviously noone wants to have someone walk muck or whatever onto their carpets, but by the nature of their function I dont think its practical to expect them to stay spotless forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

theres enough athletes foot in this country without us going around promoting the fecking ****, keep the shoes on just have a good mat at the front door.

this idea that everybodies traipsing around fields before they arrive at your door is madness, wtf? surely if they have dirty footwear they'll simply ask if its ok to remove them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

djimi wrote: »
    Am I the only person who feels that carpets/rugs are on a floor to be walked on, and as such the idea of tiptoeing around on them seems somewhat laughable?

I'm with you, djimi. It reminds me of people who leave plastic on couches to keep them "nice" - which I've only seen once in real-life, thankfully.

And what adult tracks mud onto floors and carpets anyway? Make sure you have a nice welcome-type mat, OP, and people will wipe their feet on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

It happened the other night, one of the lads has a friend over from the States who had literally travelled overnight and hadn't taken off their shoes until they got to our house - of course her feet stank. She said sorry, ran upstairs and quickly washed them - no big deal.

What an embaressing situation for this girl..you say no big deal but putting somebody in a situation like that is beyond rude to be fair.

ronjo wrote: »
    I am with Steve on this one.
    In the continent its totally normal and people always leave spare slippers or house shoes by the door.
    The only person ever to comment to me about it was my sister in our house.

Guess where Ireland is not? Something being the cultural norm in another culture is not a reason to adopt or expect to adopt such a custom here.

Personally I don't really care if my guests wear their shoes or not in my house. As long as they don't have stinky feet, an infectious foot disease or shít on their shoe they can dress their feet however they like. I would despise to become the type of person who cares more about something as inconsequential as a floor than I do about the comfort and welcome I give my guests.

But seeing as how the germs a lot of people carry on their feet are more infectious than whatever dirt is on the sole of the average shoe, anyone who actually cares about health and hygiene should ensure their guests keep their shoes on. They should also never, ever, ever get a carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

Guess where Ireland is not? Something being the cultural norm in another culture is not a reason to adopt or expect to adopt such a custom here.

Personally I don't really care if my guests wear their shoes or not in my house. As long as they don't have stinky feet, an infectious foot disease or shít on their shoe they can dress their feet however they like.

So how would you know they dont have ****e on their shoes when walking in? :o

So how would you know they dont have ****e on their shoes when walking in? :o

If they do it unaware then it's just an accident so I'd clean it up and laugh it off so they weren't embarrassed. No biggie.

If they trod on crap on purpose and then walk it around my house with evil glee then I'd find a new friend and consider myself lucky that I found out what an utter nutter my 'friend' was before they boiled my dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭ronjo

I would despise to become the type of person who cares more about something as inconsequential as a floor than I do about the comfort and welcome I give my guests.

If I may dare mention the continent again..... my point is that people dont see it as unwelcoming or making them uncomfortable so no need for anyone to despise themselves...

Advertisement