Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Shoes at the door in House Share

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I take my shoes off when I come in the door as I hate wearing shoes.
    For someone to take their shoes off in my home shows a level of comfort, as it's usually followed with them throwing their feet up on the sofa.
    I would NEVER ask someone to take their shoes off, as I know some people hate walking bare/ sock footed. It's not for me to dictate what people wear!

I also djimi and quaalude- floors are for walking on.
    I don't understand people who are precious about them.
    Most of the stains I have ever had to clean on my carpets are from spillages, bar ONE from my boyfriend's dirty work boots.
    Most people's shoes (and bodies, for that matter!) are full of a variety of germs, but it is rare that someone will walk through fields to get to another person's house and not acknowledge that their shoes are dirty. I just don't think there is any need for asking people to take off their own shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I'd have thought it would of been pretty common especially in houses with carpets. We all take our shoes of in our house and so does a good few of my mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

In the West Indies where my folks are from, it's expected you leave your shoes/sandals at the door.

I don't mind shoes downstairs. We have a shoe rack in the hall, where we put the outdoor shoes. I also keep a pair of old flip flops at the back door in case I have to put the rubbish out, pick up dog doos, and wear slippers in the house, as there's hardly any carpet and the floors are cold!

One thing I can't stand, it's outdoor shoes in the bedroom and bathroom. I think it's a disgusting habit. But I don't prevent guests from going up to the loo in their shoes. All I do after is get the mop out and wash the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It's a cultural thing in some Asian countries too. I have a Taiwanese friend and take off my shoes when visiting them as is expected. Wearing shoes in their place would be deemed as insulting as spitting on your floor type of thing.

OP, as a landlord, I think it might be a bit too ambitious to expect your tenants to observe this. (fine for your own private home but when you have tenants, you are expecting them and their visitors to observe this rule). If they feel awkward about it, it may just create an atmosphere in the house that you don't want. What you could suggest is that instead of the no shoes rule, just politely state that because you've put down the new carpet, can everyone please ensure their shoes (soles etc) are clean when entering the room, otherwise remove their shoes. That would be a fair compromise, I would think.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

ronjo wrote: »
    If I may dare mention the continent again..... my point is that people dont see it as unwelcoming or making them uncomfortable so no need for anyone to despise themselves...

Yes but here in this country, and in plenty of others, a lot of people do find it unwelcoming and it does make them uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Has anyone implemented a shoes off at the door in a house share? I just got new carpets and my Ukrainian friend says its pretty normal for people to leave their shoes inside the door when they go inside a house in his homeland. I love walking around barefoot in slippers but there must be a lot of germs brought in from the house. I spoke to my house mates about it and they all had faces on them about it. :confused: I said would it be ok to leave the shoes at the hall table and wear slippers or socks around the house but they were all very negative about it. Any thoughts peeps?

"Thats a pain"
    "I prefer to have my shoes on to be honest"

http://shoesoffatthedoorplease.blogspot.com/

most continentals will remove their shoes. I walk through sick, **** and blood on a daily basis. should I really bring that into the house? the fact that you have new carpets should make it easier to enforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Yup its my house, Im the landlord. No nothing about this was in the lease I just thought it up seeing as we just got new carpet laid in the front room and hallways and lounge. It was just an idea i was toying with since its a big deal with them ill probably scrap it to be honest:o

then you are the boss.

iguana wrote: »
    Yes but here in this country, and in plenty of others, a lot of people do find it unwelcoming and it does make them uncomfortable.

It's a question of respect. I smoke, but don't go charging into people's houses expecting to light up. If you're asked to respect the house you are visiting, then you should do that, and not impose your rules and your ideals on others. I think it's equally rude if you do that.

If I am asked to remove my shoes as I enter, then I do just that. I don't see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm Irish and I can't get over the liking people have for walking the filth off the street into their own home :confused:

Its quite disgusting really, dog sh!te , spit and other unmentionables all getting walked into your carpet !!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It's a question of respect. I smoke, but don't go charging into people's houses expecting to light up. If you're asked to respect the house you are visiting, then you should do that, and not impose your rules and your ideals on others. I think it's equally rude if you do that.

If I am asked to remove my shoes as I enter, then I do just that. I don't see the problem.

There are lots of problems as have already been outlined. People may have smelly socks, odd socks, a hole in their socks. They may have athlete's foot or toenail fungus and will then be spreading a contagious, occasionally dangerous (due to the drugs used to treat it) around your house.

The kind of germs that would be at the bottom of an average shoe are just general everyday germs that you need to be exposed to in order to keep your immune system active. On the other hand bacteria like onychomycosis is a nasty bacteria which you will have for years once it gets in your nail bed. It causes incredibly ugly nails and will turn painful as it progresses. The only proven treatment for it is a course of pills which can cause liver failure and the treatment is delivered very slowly over 6-12 months while a doctor monitors your liver. If your liver is shown to be at risk or you don't want to take that chance you will spend years having to treat it topically with no guarantee that you will succeed with anything other than controlling the infection.

In Europe more than 1 in 4 people have onychomycosis in their toenails, so asking people to take their shoes off in your house is more like the opposite of asking them not to smoke as you are actually increasing the risk to your and their health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭ronjo

I actually would be interested too see what is standard around the world. It seems in Ireland and Britain that its normal to wear shoes.

From what I have experienced, in Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Poland and Slovenia its normal to remove shoes.
    I see others have mentioned Finland, West Indies and Ukraine too that this is normal to remove also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

ronjo wrote: »
    I actually would be interested too see what is standard around the world. It seems in Ireland and Britain that its normal to wear shoes.

From what I have experienced, in Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Poland and Slovenia its normal to remove shoes.
    I see others have mentioned Finland, West Indies and Ukraine too that this is normal to remove also.

All my family in Ireland and Britain remove shoes in the house - I think it's a spreading habit. I'm not a clean freak, my house is messy, but wearing shoes from outside just doesn't feel right. Probably due to the wet climate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Amazed at how many people are worried about smelly feet!!! Do you not just have a shower ever day, like??? And wash your socks after 1 wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well in Lithuania we are always take shoes off by the door. We do this at home and if I go to somebodies house I always take off shoes, no matter is it Irish house or foreigners.
    I can't see why people got problem with this?! You don't expect to go in to someone's house after some heavy rain and just walk in with muddy wet shoes?!

There are lots of problems as have already been outlined. People may have smelly socks, odd socks, a hole in their socks. They may have athlete's foot or toenail fungus and will then be spreading a contagious, occasionally dangerous (due to the drugs used to treat it) around your house.

The kind of germs that would be at the bottom of an average shoe are just general everyday germs that you need to be exposed to in order to keep your immune system active. On the other hand bacteria like onychomycosis is a nasty bacteria which you will have for years once it gets in your nail bed. It causes incredibly ugly nails and will turn painful as it progresses. The only proven treatment for it is a course of pills which can cause liver failure and the treatment is delivered very slowly over 6-12 months while a doctor monitors your liver. If your liver is shown to be at risk or you don't want to take that chance you will spend years having to treat it topically with no guarantee that you will succeed with anything other than controlling the infection.

In Europe more than 1 in 4 people have onychomycosis in their toenails, so asking people to take their shoes off in your house is more like the opposite of asking them not to smoke as you are actually increasing the risk to your and their health.

Clearly, common sense has to be applied. If one is being treated for an infectious foot disorder, then fine. But they would not be walking barefoot!

Equally, why on earth would one go out with holes in their socks?:confused: Odd socks I don't see as a show stopper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Its a health and safety issue and you could end up with a tenant sueing you if something fell on their feet.
    These peoples rent are paying for your mortgage why not treat them with a bit of respect , we are in Ireland and we dont like to expose our feet to all and sundry .
    What if they asked for a drop in rent to allow them to pay for fashionable socks and big fluffy dog slippers.
    Or what if you just got a carpet ccleaner in now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I have no idea how knowing what people do with their shoes in Taiwan/Lithuania/France/Japan etc etc is going to help the OP figure out a sensible and workable solution to their problem that both they and their house mates are at peace with. Acceptable cultural norms and practices vary from country to country. The OP & their house are in Ireland, I presume. I can't really see how being told what goes on in Country XYZ is going to help them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

I can't see why people got problem with this?! You don't expect to go in to someone's house after some heavy rain and just walk in with muddy wet shoes?!

Well here, usually people have mats either outside the front door or just inside it for people to wipe their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mrmitty

I'm all for welcoming people into my home, I'll give them a cup of tea or Coffey, I'll feed them and give them shelter if they need but I won't allow anybody to walk in dog dung, spit and god knows what else and then walk on my carpet where my wife and children inhabit.
    If someone hasn't the decency,manners and respect to take off their shoes before walking on my carpet, then they are not welcome in my home.
    It's very unhygienic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

mrmitty wrote: »
    I'm all for welcoming people into my home, I'll give them a cup of tea or Coffey, I'll feed them and give them shelter if they need but I won't allow anybody to walk in dog dung, spit and god knows what else and then walk on my carpet where my wife and children inhabit.
    If someone hasn't the decency,manners and respect to take off their shoes before walking on my carpet, then they are not welcome in my home.
    It's very unhygienic.

Cool, I'll walk my infectious foot disorders around your house then rather than those filthy filthy germs we need to keep our immune systems up to par.
    I don't actually have infectious foot disorders :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Paddythenut

Wearing shoes indoors is disgusting,you're walking on ground that has been urinated,defecated and thrown up and then you're bringing this into your home...nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

I live and work in Asia. It's normal to take your shoes off at the door. Its a mark of respect for the owner as well as being clean and hygenic.

Now in saying that, the majority of apartments etc are heated from the floor which are extremely comfortable on the feet. Whoever thought radiators in a house were a good idea?

I love nothing better than getting out of bed in the morning with bare feet to a heated floor.....a bit of luxury....and they say this part of the world is developing, makes me wonder about Ireland, backwardness and attitudes. 'F- off, i'm not takin me shoes off, dats thick'

Many foot infections are caused by keeping your feet encased in 2 mouldy shoes all day like an incubation chamber. I haven't seen any problem with foot infections in Asia, important to let the feet breathe, the human race wasn't born with shoes on our feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Limericks wrote: »
    Cool, I'll walk my infectious foot disorders around your house then rather than those filthy filthy germs we need to keep our immune systems up to par.
    I don't actually have infectious foot disorders :P

To be honest I think what would be on the bottom of a shoe would be worse than the bacteria on an average foot.

Yes, feet can be diseased, of course, but your average foot bacteria, bacteria that is native to our bodies would be a less harmful than, say, the bacteria from various animal poo, vomit and other unpleasant things like that. Yeah, we need to have some contact with germs for our immune systems but animal feces contain some nasty, nasty things.

But I wish people would stop bleating on about what's done on the continent. This is not the continent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I wash my feet daily, always wear fresh socks, and usually switch shoes at least twice a day (cycling shoes, office shoes, cycling shoes again, then casual runners - and that's before I consider changing for training on Tuesdays and Thursdays).

But I'm painfully aware that my feet still smell bad by 5pm. I get incredibly self-conscious about my feet if I go anywhere I have to remove my shoes. I would avoid living anywhere with a requirement to remove shoes. And I'm not buying this health argument. Has anyone ever actually gotten ill from a foreign body brought to their floor from outside? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely stumped. Surely it's a vastly lesser risk than the likes of athlete's foot?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

I wash my feet daily, always wear fresh socks, and usually switch shoes at least twice a day (cycling shoes, office shoes, cycling shoes again, then casual runners - and that's before I consider changing for training on Tuesdays and Thursdays).

But I'm painfully aware that my feet still smell bad by 5pm.

That seems really odd to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mrmitty

But I'm painfully aware that my feet still smell bad by 5pm. I get incredibly self-conscious about my feet if I go anywhere I have to remove my shoes. I would avoid living anywhere with a requirement to remove shoes. And I'm not buying this health argument. Has anyone ever actually gotten ill from a foreign body brought to their floor from outside? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely stumped. Surely it's a vastly lesser risk than the likes of athlete's foot?

Go see a doctor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

But I'm painfully aware that my feet still smell bad by 5pm.QUOTE]

hmmmm.....I think you must have a foot problem! I'm sure you can get stuff for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Jaysoose wrote: »
    What an embaressing situation for this girl..you say no big deal but putting somebody in a situation like that is beyond rude to be fair.

Her friend in the house was still wearing her shoes when this guest took off her shoes as she'd been wearing them all night and day - simply for her own comfort, nobody had asked her/pointed out to her to take off her shoes.

You might want to remember the old saying "look before you leap" - had you asked me why she took her shoes off before you posted that comment it wouldn't seem such a stupid comment to me and because I'm after explaining it in response it might look like a stupid thoughtless comment to future readers of this thread as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Guess where Ireland is not? Something being the cultural norm in another culture is not a reason to adopt or expect to adopt such a custom here.

What happens when there are 3 continentals (2 German, 1 French) to 1 Irish living in the house - their "cultural norm" becomes the norm of the house and thus shoes are taken off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

What happens when there are 3 continentals (2 German, 1 French) to 1 Irish living in the house - their "cultural norm" becomes the norm of the house and thus shoes are taken off

I wouldn't say so, if i was in that situation I would refuse to take my shoes off just because it is what they are used too. If they come to another country then they should abide by the local cultural norm.

Advertisement