Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Shoes at the door in House Share

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

What happens when there are 3 continentals (2 German, 1 French) to 1 Irish living in the house - their "cultural norm" becomes the norm of the house and thus shoes are taken off
    When in Rome do as the Romans
    Why are there so many people on here thats soul arguement is well in lithuania they do this , in Germany they do that.
    I love Ireland and I love Irish customs and ways of life. Why do we need to be globalised into one big barefooted nation . If a swedish man wants to live in a culture where taking his shoes off is the norm , why cant he just stay in Sweden

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What happens when there are 3 continentals (2 German, 1 French) to 1 Irish living in the house - their "cultural norm" becomes the norm of the house and thus shoes are taken off

The OP did not say that that was the case in their original post, so that argument is kinda irrelevant imo. They mentioned a Ukranian friend who said that "shoes off" was the policy in his country. They did not mention their own nationality, or the nationality of their house mates. So I assumed (as I suppose did many others) that they were all Irish. If that is indeed the case, I think that discussing Irish societal norms and customs re footwear would be more beneficial in helping the OP solve their problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭pawnacide

Anyone know what thresholds advise is in relation to forcing tenants to remove their shoes ?

I've searched the ptrb website and found nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Lived in Finland once and its normal there, I got into the habit and have kept it upon returning home. I lived in New Zealand too and the owner there insisted on it as he didn't want his carpet fluffed up with boots and shoes.

I prefer having just socks on to be honest but I wouldn't enforce it on guests. I think the Scandinavians/Japanese/Russians/Canadians mainly do it because there is snow on the ground 6/7 months a year which means shoes are wet coming inside and often have picked up all sorts of debris.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

If people want to live like pigs, it is a matter for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Has anyone implemented a shoes off at the door in a house share? I just got new carpets and my Ukrainian friend says its pretty normal for people to leave their shoes inside the door when they go inside a house in his homeland. I love walking around barefoot in slippers but there must be a lot of germs brought in from the house. I spoke to my house mates about it and they all had faces on them about it. :confused: I said would it be ok to leave the shoes at the hall table and wear slippers or socks around the house but they were all very negative about it. Any thoughts peeps?

"Thats a pain"
    "I prefer to have my shoes on to be honest"

http://shoesoffatthedoorplease.blogspot.com/[/QUOTE]

I think your floor would be cleaner with socks or bare feet walking around than shoes than have come in off the street. Its a no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭pawnacide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

If people want to live like pigs, it is a matter for themselves.

Which are the pigs - people who take their shoes off, or those that leave them on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

pawnacide wrote: »
    Anyone know what thresholds advise is in relation to forcing tenants to remove their shoes ?

I've searched the ptrb website and found nothing.

Are you serious?? There is of course nothing on those sites because it's not a law. You can't force anyone to do anything in their home that's not enshrined in law.

I'm amazed at the length of this thread. Any landlord who expects tenants to remove outdoor footwear on entering the house is going to shrink their market. It's a tenants' market these days so if a carpet is that big a deal and the landlord can afford to stick to their guns it's up to them.

The only place I was ever asked to remove my shoes was in the home of someone going through chemo whose immune system was extremely compromised. There were lots of other things we did in that house, excessive handwashing, hand sanitiser used before and after going outdoors etc but that was for very specific reasons. For normal healthy people, with doormats, wearing footwear inside and outside is not dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Limericks wrote: »
    I wouldn't say so, if i was in that situation I would refuse to take my shoes off just because it is what they are used too. If they come to another country then they should abide by the local cultural norm.

As I said I'm the sole Irish person living here and it doesn't bother me, most people take off their shoes when they see us doing it, however if you took that attitude with me in my own house I'd tell you to get out - for the simple reason of your bad manners. When your in someone's house follow their rules, otherwise sod off to your won house and your set of rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The OP did not say that that was the case in their original post, so that argument is kinda irrelevant imo. They mentioned a Ukranian friend who said that "shoes off" was the policy in his country. They did not mention their own nationality, or the nationality of their house mates. So I assumed (as I suppose did many others) that they were all Irish. If that is indeed the case, I think that discussing Irish societal norms and customs re footwear would be more beneficial in helping the OP solve their problem.

The OP didn't say what the nationality of his tenants were either so you can argue that Ukranian/German/French societal norms are just as relevant in this situation. Anyway I like to see it in my own house so in my case the Irish norm is to take off the shoes.

Mind you none of this helps the OP. If the tenants don't want to take off their shoes there is nothing he can do to force them. Maybe buy a shoe rack and use it themselves and the tenants might follow the example, other than that there is nothing to be done

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

quaalude wrote: »
    Which are the pigs - people who take their shoes off, or those that leave them on?

Did you ever see a pig wearing shoes? No jokes about the Garda either!

Advertisement