Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ivy on a north facing wall

Options
  • 20-02-2012 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Just looking for some suggestions on what is the best ivy to grow on a north facing wall. The wall is about 30 yards in length. I have trellis's put up along the wall and want to grow some ivy in the next few weeks. I would like to get a mixture of different colours etc to brighten it up. I am afraid though that it will find it hard to grow as not getting much sun. any advice appreciated. Seen ivy in woodies 2 plants for €15.00. Can you get cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

try the climbing hydrangea,it comes out in white flowers and does ok in the shade i find.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I second the hydrangea. Trouble is with ivy, if it gets going it is inclined to get thicker and less controllable. It becomes a nightmare to try and keep cut back and the variagated type tends to become dominated by dark bits anyway. It will tend to accumulate at the top of the wall looking for a bit of sun, then there is a danger of the wall being pulled down in high wind (happened to us). It looks very appealing and innocent when you buy it, but I would not have any more!

Incidentally you don't need trellis for ivy, in fact it will be a liability as the ivy will pull it off the wall, and the ivy is more than capable of attaching itself to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OP - check the variety, not all (but most) are self clinging and do not require support.

Ivy does bulk up and the variagated ivies with age tend to lose the white/yellow variagation and revert to green.

A good evergreen alternative to ivy and easier to keep in check is Cissus Striata.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

OP, I can just see your post in a few years. "How do I get rid of this ******* ivy"? If you already have trellis up then, along with the hydrangea, maybe something like akebia quinata for early flowers or a rose like zepherin drouhin, virtually thornless and very scented. Of course all of these suggestions require a fairly decent soil and maybe you don't have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Just looking for some suggestions on what is the best ivy to grow on a north facing wall. The wall is about 30 yards in length. I have trellis's put up along the wall and want to grow some ivy in the next few weeks. I would like to get a mixture of different colours etc to brighten it up. I am afraid though that it will find it hard to grow as not getting much sun. any advice appreciated. Seen ivy in woodies 2 plants for €15.00. Can you get cheaper?

Ivy is very-shade tolerant, its natural habitat is woods.

I just removed it from my house. It looks good but requires cutting back each summer. I took it down because it had a massive root growing into the drains, a shame really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement