Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graveyard for Unbaptised Children

• 20-02-2012 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I'm trying to find out about a Wicklow graveyard for children who were unbaptised. I'm sure I passed signs for one in the past in West Wicklow, around the lakes or near Glendalough. I'm sure it had an Irish name. Which is why I have no memory of it!

Does this ring any bells for natives? These places aren't always recorded and so can be hard to find unless you're a local. I'd like to find it and visit it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I can't help with that particular graveyard, but most old graveyards have unbaptised babies buried around the boundary. Of couse they were not allowed be buried in consecrated ground, so the parents under cover of darkness, often buried them on the boundary.

I know of a couple of graveyards in Wicklow that have put a marker or memorial to these poor children in the main graveyard and had a mass/blessing for them in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

There is one 500m past Lackan on the left hand side of the road on the way towards Ballyknockan. I would imagine there are others.

The marker stone says 'Cillín Children's Burial Ground'

Cillín is pronounced 'Kill-een' and translates as 'Little Church'.

TempleBoden Church ruins are further down the road on the right, and behind that is the adult grave yard.

Advertisement