Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting concrete shed

• 20-02-2012 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭

Evening all, Hope this is the right place.

Toying with the idea of converting my shed into another room, Will basically be a man cave and will have my Plasma and surround sound plus a few sofas and whatever for matches on a Saturday and such. I'm a complete novice with this type of stuff but i'm looking or a project because I've suddenly got a lot more free time on my hands.

Basically i'm just wondering about how much it would cost in total, I'm planning on insulating the walls and roof and plastering the walls. I'm gonna need new a new window and door as there in a bad way. I'm not sure what the story with the roof is, Its galvanise and has support beams running a long the inside, Has a plastic sheeting under the galvanise which looks like it's housing all sorts of flora. I'll be on a budget as well so the cheapest where available would be great. I've included a few pictures to show you what it's like.

2h6bwcw.jpg

152niwk.jpg

359zoy8.jpg

25690r6.jpg

ivivtc.jpg

352nfqt.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Just a question or two, With regards the insulation would i be right in saying all i have to do for the walls is stick by 2x2 all around the walls insert the polystyrene sheets and then screw the plasterboard over it? What for the roof? The same?

Does wiring need to be done before or after this?

And is it OK to just stick a carpet over the concrete floor or is their something else i have to do first.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Great project, remember to keep us posted with pic's as you progress.

I would start with the windows and door, post the sizes you might be lucky, if not go to donedeal, maybe pick something up 2nd hand.
    Walls look dry, so do wiring first, then timber battens, insulate between, and plasterboard, same with the roof. Check the roof for any leaks first, matbe a coat of bitumen on outside to seal it up.
    On the floor there maybe no DPC, so a big sheet of plastic, to keep moisture out,then maybe plywood, then the carpet.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply Martin, Looks like the door and window are my first priority then. Have been looking on donedeal and other sources and i think a PVC door is out of my price range, They seem to be between 300-400. Have found these galvanised steel doors, They are insulated and deliver nationwide. They look perfect to me?

http://www.doorsecure.ie/index.php/multi-purpose-doors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Those doors look fine on the web-site, I want through the order system and the options for left hung or right, and open out/in are not on the site, just straight to check-out.
    Also can't see what the lock is like, but at those prices seem ok.

See you are in Wexford, try Weatherglaze in Gorey, they used to have a graveyard sale of cancelled orders on a Sat, if still on you might pick up a bargain

Thanks for the heads up with Weatherglaze, Will have to look into that. Will be back with an up-date in the near future. Could be a few days or could be a few weeks but i'll be back.

If anybody has any further information for me they could post up or if anyone has any experiences with similar projects they would like to share it would be great.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,385 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What kind of budget?

Id put a pitched roof on it if money is available

mickdw wrote: »
    What kind of budget?

Very tight! No room for a new roof or anything like that. Really looking to just insulate damp proof plaster and decorate the shed itself as it is.

What kind of budget?

Very tight! No room for a new roof or anything like that. Really looking to just insulate damp proof plaster and decorate the shed itself as it is.

What kind of budget?

Things are hopefully looking up on the jobs front so might get this started sooner than i thought.

• Advertisement
Advertisement