Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiction crime suggestions from Dublin City Public Libraries

Options
  • 20-02-2012 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

European fiction crime writers, particularly Nordc writers, have always been favourites of mine. My personal favourite is Italian Andrea Camilleri, whose novels are based in Sicily, and they contain humour, food, the Sicilian landscape, and the crime too of course! And right now you can see the TV spinoff 'Inspector Montalbano' (Italian with subtitles) on BBC4 at the weekends.

Other personal favourites among the Europeans include Norway's Jo Nesbø and Karin Fossum; Sweden's Henning Mankell, Steig Larsson, Håkan Nesser and Karin Alvtegen; Iceland's Arnaldur Indriðason; Finland's Sofi Oksanen; Denmark's Jussi Adler-Olsen; France's Fred Vargas; Italian-based but english-speaking Donna Leon and Michael Dibdin (RIP).

But right now I am reading south-east Asia-based but english-speaking Colin Cotterill (lots of humour and sense of place here). His investigative coroner Dr. Siri is a real character.

A very useful resource, if you are looking for suggestions regarding crime fiction writers, is the Dublin City Public Libraries' blog; it contains a wealth of suggestions with links to the library catalogue for good measure. EB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

I just had to reply to a fellow Dr. Siri fan! I enjoy the Nordic authors you mention, especially Arnaldur Indridason and Henning Mankell ( I really miss Wallander). I thought Jussi Adler-Olsen's debut was excellent and am looking forward to the follow up. Other Nordic authors I enjoy and can recommend are Asa Larsson, Yrsa Sigurdardottir, Mari Jungstedt and Michael Ridpath (try his Fire & Ice trilogy, very very good).

• Registered Users Posts: 36 de Faoite_girl

I too love all the authors you mentioned here. I cannot get enough of scandinavian authors. Have read all the ones you mentioned and currently going through the 10 book series written by Sjowall and Wahloo. It was written in the 60s and I highly recommend it.

I too have really enjoyed Jussi Adlers debut and I can't wait for more.

I highly recommend Frank Thilliez too, he's French but some of his books have been translated into English. They are all five stars in my opinion.

Will try that Sicilian author next because I have indeed heard great things about his books.

Are you guys on goodread? There are a lot of useful resources there and reccos in terms of fiction/crime/scandi authors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ebyrne41

Am on Librarything, have registered on Goodreads but not done much there. You will looove Camilleri!

Franck Thilliez in english translation? Can you tell me where? Have checked Amazon, no joy there or elsewhere.

Apologies OP because I have just realised that Thilliez hasn't indeed been translated into English. There seem to be some Dutch or Catalan translations but no English ones. What I thought were books in English are apparently DVDs like Room of Death. I didn't even know that some of his books had been made into films.

Sorry about giving you false hopes. Having read all his books, I'm actually surprised that they haven't yet been translated into English...

As for Fred Vargas, I've never read anything by her (even though I'm French). Might give her a chance too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

The Fred Vargas books are very good.
    Apologies OP because I have just realised that Thilliez hasn't indeed been translated into English. There seem to be some Dutch or Catalan translations but no English ones. What I thought were books in English are apparently DVDs like Room of Death. I didn't even know that some of his books had been made into films.

Sorry about giving you false hopes. Having read all his books, I'm actually surprised that they haven't yet been translated into English...

As for Fred Vargas, I've never read anything by her (even though I'm French). Might give her a chance too.

Should I read the Vargas books in any particular order or it doesn't matter? Any recommendation on which one to start with?

Thanks

It is not essential that you read the Adamsberg series in order, but better if you can. You should note that they have been translated into english out of sequence, unfortunately, but my post on our library blog on Vargas will help you figure out the correct order. 'The Three Evangelists' is not in the series but a wonderful read also!

Thanks for the info ebyrne41.

Vargas and Camilleri are next on my list. I'm currently going through the whole Inspector Sejer's series.

I'm French so I can read Vargas' books in order, that will help!

Thanks.

Advertisement