Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT54/IT51 advice

Options
  • 20-02-2012 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just a quick one on IT54/ IT51.

I work as a contractor and am based in Dublin with a Dublin client. Occasionally I do outside work for others and charge a nominal fee. If I need to travel to meet clients (when speccing out a new project/ drumming up some new business) I gather I am able to claim substance/ mileage for this at civil servant rates.

I don’t own a car and resort to hiring cars when needed. Am I right in saying that the following applies for a given 24hr travel:
    1. I can claim 1 / Normal rate overnight (either 108.99 or 107.69).
    2. Mileage at 46.25 for 1.4litre car hire

but I cannot claim the cost of the hire car (as I guess this is the running cost of the car and included in mileage).

Additionally if I travel to the UK (as I very occasionally do) I can claim:
    1. Overnight rate
    2. Cost of flights/ taxi

I will of course check with my accountant, but I like to try and get an Idea first!

Thanks,
    km

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭smeharg

You can only claim civil service rates if you are an employee. If you are a sole-trader you can only claim for vouched expenses, ie the actual cost.

You can only claim for legitimate business travel.

Your accountant should be advising you the best method for you without you having to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

smeharg wrote: »
    You can only claim civil service rates if you are an employee. If you are a sole-trader you can only claim for vouched expenses, ie the actual cost.

You can only claim for legitimate business travel.

Your accountant should be advising you the best method for you without you having to ask.

Thanks for the reply. I am a director of a ltd - not a sole trader. I will double check with the accountant when we next meet - I have no travel planned in the next while - I was just curious when poking about the revenue.ie site (and want to make sure that when I claim I claim correctly).

cheers;
    km

Advertisement