Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get to Marine Institute by public transport

Options
  • 20-02-2012 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

I've an interview for summer work with the Marine Institute in Oranmore soonish, but I don't own a car and can't figure out how best to get there on time.
    If it's not too far I could walk, but I don't fancy that in stinking Galway weather, and I'm not sure how long it'd take me, or how possible it is to get lost.
    I don't mind getting a taxi for the interview, but if I get the work, there's no way I can be doing that every day.
    What's my best plan?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202387297-418b.pdf

If this Institute is were I think it is -even if you get of in Oranmore there is about 20min walk to get there.
    Hard life in Ireland without car, I've been through this fro few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

I've an interview for summer work with the Marine Institute in Oranmore soonish, but I don't own a car and can't figure out how best to get there on time.
    If it's not too far I could walk, but I don't fancy that in stinking Galway weather, and I'm not sure how long it'd take me, or how possible it is to get lost.
    I don't mind getting a taxi for the interview, but if I get the work, there's no way I can be doing that every day.
    What's my best plan?

A small boat would actually be the handiest here but on a more practical note - this place is awkward to get to even if you live in Oranmore - you could bus it to Oranmore and then cycle out maybe but (in my opinion) it's quite a dangerous stretch to cycle. I think a lot of people carpool to/from Marine Inst - that is probably your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

AFAIK its actually very easy to get there.

I think the MI run a bus from the CIE bustop in Oranmore over to the institute, morning and evening.

I'd imagine if you get the placement you'd be able to use this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Ask at the interview. If you get the job, Im sure someone in there would let you car pool.

You could cycle from oranmore, prob take around 20mins, not the best road but it'll be bright so you'd be fine. You could also cut down through the forest to save time.

Walking would Defo take longer than 20mins from oranmore and wouldn't recommend it as a daily routine. its a rank enough walk in the wind and rain. You could hitch outside the church in oranmore, its a busy enough road and anyone going to maree would drop you to within a reasonable walking distance.

Good luck with the interview

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Google maps says 59min walk! I'd say bus to Oranmore and get a cab the rest of the way, there's a cab company in the village (Ocean Cabs IIRC). As someone said, MI run a shuttle bus for staff, or you'll prob be able to get a lift if you get the placement. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

get the taxi as it takes about 25mins for me to walk from oranmore to there (and thats speed walking). If you then get the job, buy a bike, but be careful if you do as its a dangerous enough stretch of road.

According to google maps, its 5.7kms from the bus stop in oranmore to the marine institute and would take 1hr and 11mins to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Just phone them and ask! The receptionist will answer and it won't be held against you in the interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

dinneenp wrote: »
    Just phone them and ask! The receptionist will answer and it won't be held against you in the interview.

+1

Why on earth are posters prattling on about google maps, buying a bike, taking a short cut through a forest and how bad the road condition is?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

I think the MI run a bus from the CIE bustop in Oranmore over to the institute, morning and evening.

They do.The bus leaves Supervalu at 8.45am and leaves the Institute at 5.30pm.Additional services are provided during the summer, if needed, due to the bursary scheme, which is what I assume the OP is applying for.

If you are living in town you can get Citylink or Bus Eireann to Oranmore and get the bus from there,it drops you at supervalu,you might be even able to find someone who works there and lives in town who will give you a lift out in the mornings. If you live in Oranmore it should be even easier as quiets a few of the staff live in the area.

Good luck with the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dinneenp wrote: »

In fairness, while in this particular case the receptionist probably will know, it's not true for many companies in Galway.

Some of 'em have only the most vague idea of public transport, and lots of companies "how to get here" directions start with "Drive to the end of the motorway, right at the roundabout , 2nd left from the next roundabout ..."

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They actually have very helpful directions on their website OP.
    If you phone up the receptionist and ask, it may look like you have not done your homework..which you haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

snubbleste wrote: »
    They actually have very helpful directions on their website OP.
    If you phone up the receptionist and ask, it may look like you have not done your homework..which you haven't.

The directions on the website aren't very helpful if you're not driving, and I seem to have been advised against cycling/walking that stretch of road in terms of safety, which is something I wouldn't have known from their map.
    I had emailed reception, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here too incase they were no help or took a long time.
    As it was they pretty much told me to get a taxi from Oranmore, but didn't mention the special bus, which is good to know about if I do get the work.
    Looks like a taxi it is.
    Thanks to those who replied with info, this thread could be closed now.

Advertisement