Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surf board size

Options
  • 20-02-2012 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

hi,
    can anyone shed some light on this. i am looking to buy a surf board. i have read all the stuuf on the net and they all vary in opion. So if anyone has any experience their advice would be great. i am 6 foot 2 and fifteen stone. what size surf board would you suggest. also anyone got any sites for second boards or some reputable sellers that they know of......
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

elheffe depends on h much surfing you plan to do, if you are only going to get out every few weeks go for a board over 9ft that has plenty of float. you will catch a hell of a lot more waves more often and progress faster. I fyou want to then start moving down but once your into longboarding you rarely leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭elheffe

thanks for the help all

elheffe depends on h much surfing you plan to do, if you are only going to get out every few weeks go for a board over 9ft that has plenty of float. you will catch a hell of a lot more waves more often and progress faster. I fyou want to then start moving down but once your into longboarding you rarely leave it.

i have been getting lessons on a 9 foot four board. am looking to buy a 9 foot. Not looking to carve it at the moment, just cruise along. i usually get out on the water once if not twice a week. In your opion does that sound about right size wise.. Hard to get second hand. looks like may have to buy from new.... thank for your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

There's usually good deals on Donedeal and Adverts, also if you go to your local shop/surf school. Ask them if they know of anyone shifting a board. I always think around now to April/May more boards appear on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

For longboards, check out longboardsireland

http://homepage.eircom.net/~longboardireland/new/index.html

Need to register but some good prices on second hand boards

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

Yeah longboard is the way to go for you. You'll catch more waves and generally have a more psoitive experience. It'll help you progress and then consider coming down to something shorter. Width is also important for you and look for something around 3" thick.
    have an old longboard that you are welcome to try out if in the Clare area. Not for sale though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

http://www.surfing-waves.com/board/board_size.htm

This is a good guide for someone starting out.

noserider wrote: »
    Yeah longboard is the way to go for you. You'll catch more waves and generally have a more psoitive experience. It'll help you progress and then consider coming down to something shorter. Width is also important for you and look for something around 3" thick.
    have an old longboard that you are welcome to try out if in the Clare area. Not for sale though!!

thanks alot. thanks for advice too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭jarv

Check out these boards from nine plus the magic carpet has loads of volume and easy to paddle cool brand as well I have a 9"8 form them as well.
    http://uk.nineplus.com/nineplus-magic-carpet/401-magic-carpet-12345.html

Advertisement