Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone giving up anything for Lent?

• 20-02-2012 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

I decided to have a binge fest on junk food last weekend after convincing myself that after a pancake binge tomorrow, I wouldn't eat any more junk food until Easter Sunday. I'm not religious just curious to see if I have enough willpower to do it. Anyway I'm disgusted with myself after the weekend binge so need more Wii fit and less Kettle chips. Anybody else giving anything up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Kettle Chips are nice but Bistro ones are way nicer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I gave up religion one year and haven't looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Considering giving up on giving up things. :)

Pancake binge....mmmmmmm, roll on Fat Tuesday :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

Mc Love wrote: »
    Kettle Chips are nice but Bistro ones are way nicer!
    Ahh if only it had stopped at kettle chips. It was all the rest of the junk that did the damage.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Not sure what this thread is doing in the Limerick forum. I'm sure there's something in After Hours for this conversation...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Not sure what this thread is doing in the Limerick forum. I'm sure there's something in After Hours for this conversation...

Moral support for all the Limerick boardsie's

I'm thinking beer meself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

no

Moral support for all the Limerick boardsie's

I'm thinking beer meself.
    My other half is thinking the same thing. He announced tonight that he's giving up booze for Lent. Then, not having been brought up Catholic, asked me when Lent starts. He thought he'd be able to get another weekend in first. He seems determined enough though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I gave up giving up things for lent when i was 12 still going strong ;)

I gave up giving up things for lent when i was 12 still going strong ;)
    You sound like a man with strong willpower. I don't usually do anything for Lent. Don't even bother with pancakes usually, so I'm not sure whats got into me this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

People who give up stuff for lent. Are you regular church goers etc or is Lent something you do because you/your family always did it?

t
    Kess73 wrote: »
    People who give up stuff for lent. Are you regular church goers etc or is Lent something you do because you/your family always did it?
    No I'm not a church goer and to be honest I can't remember my parents ever giving anything up for Lent. All we did as kids in primary school was put money in those little cardboard Trocaire boxes we were given at school.

I usually don't give it a second thought, it just occurred to me last week that it might be an interesting test of willpower to try to stay off junk food for Lent, purely due to the length of time really. I wondered if anybody else still does anything similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

t
    No I'm not a church goer and to be honest I can't remember my parents ever giving anything up for Lent. All we did as kids in primary school was put money in those little cardboard Trocaire boxes we were given at school.

I usually don't give it a second thought, it just occurred to me last week that it might be an interesting test of willpower to try to stay off junk food for Lent, purely due to the length of time really. I wondered if anybody else still does anything similar.

Can see the logic in using it for something like that alright. I was just curious if anyone did it for religious reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bronze age rituals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Every little helps. :D

Troika-Box.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

sex and drugs and rock n roll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Irregular church goer, giving up stuff as a test of will-power/excuse to live healthier/reviving of the New Year's Resolutions. Gonna give up booze, chips and possibly fizzy drinks/chocolate bars. Not chocolate itself, that would mean giving up not eating McVities Chocolate digestives with tea/coffee, that would just be torture.

Haven't decided yet if St Patrick's weekend is being excluded.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Every little helps. :D

Troika-Box.jpeg
    Very good, that actually did make me laugh out loud

Its interesting to see the effect cutting stuff out of your diet has on the body. Years ago I did Atkins for 6 months and lost 6 stone. But the first 3 days when you cut out caffeine and wheat etc was horrendous. I've never felt so ill in my life. I think it comes as a shock to the system eliminating so many things at once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I am just now considering giving up pancakes for lent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

If I go off the beer, i'll use the money saved to go buy something for the car. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭jay phelan

Naaaah!

I could lie but can't be arsed :rolleyes:

If I go off the beer, i'll use the money saved to go buy something for the car. :)
    Its amazing how quickly that cash builds up even for a moderate drinker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

regular churchgoer myself, i take the young lad to mass on a sunday, the odd time popping into the redemptorists for a quick prayer during the week.

i love, love, LOVE, my steak, big juicy, well done steak with plenty of onions, but it being lent, coupled with the fact that after a visit to my doctor this morning i've been advised to cut down on red meat (i tried to reason with him that there was plenty of iron in it, but he countered with 'yes, but too much iron is not good!).

so i've decided to substitute red meat for fish (i really dont eat enough fish, and i've no excuse because rene cusacks is only across the road from me!), so lent for me is going to be the tester to give up red meat for the forty days, like im going 'cold turkey' on it so to speak, and i've stocked up on my cod liver oil and glucosamine supplements and tomorrow i'll have to start including vitamin D supplements in that regime.

quite honestly, it sucks donkeyballs, but the whole idea behind lent is that you sacrifice something you actually WILL miss, so im also going to have to stay out of restaurants to avoid temptation like the 8oz steak dinner for €10 out in punches (bargain!) that i saw as i was making my way home from snipers this morning... :(

oh, and sniper? im never offering to walk you home again- wrecks the hips! :D and the knees, and pretty much sore all over, lol :D

if only i'd been sober when i thought to be a good samaritan, lol, maybe i should give up the drink for lent too, although i wouldnt miss the drink, well, not as much as im going to miss the steak! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

My other half is thinking the same thing. He announced tonight that he's giving up booze for Lent. Then, not having been brought up Catholic, asked me when Lent starts. He thought he'd be able to get another weekend in first. He seems determined enough though.

Hey little Kitty, sounds like he'll be no fun at all for the next 40 days.....

- Wanna head out for a few drinks later? :P

(Only joking, am allergic to pets......)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

Iang87 wrote: »
    no

Or Me!:D

Raiser wrote: »
    Hey little Kitty, sounds like he'll be no fun at all for the next 40 days.....

- Wanna head out for a few drinks later? :P

(Only joking, am allergic to pets......)
    Hee hee, I'm VERY happily married thanks raiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

RonMexico wrote: »
    I gave up religion one year and haven't looked back.

I gave up reminiscing and haven't looked back either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

xsiborg wrote:
    oh, and sniper? im never offering to walk you home again- wrecks the hips! :D and the knees, and pretty much sore all over, lol :D

Told you not to, that is be in home 10 mins later, not at 4:30 in the morning xD

• Advertisement
Advertisement