Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

algae and plant update

Options
  • 20-02-2012 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Just an update!

As recommended here, I got a magnet cleaner (JBL floaty) and a gravel cleaner and have got rid of the algae. I have cut back on feeding a tiny bit and overall the tank is clean again!

Its a small 10 gallon tank. Just have a thin layer of gravel on the bottom. Added 2 plants. The first one I added I just took out of its pot and stuck into a little mound of gravel that i bunched up in one corner and plan on doing the same with the other once it has settled in.

i would love to have the whole bottom of the tank covered in green!

I am not sure if this is possible given that the tank is already set up with fish on board!

How might i go about doing this?

Do I just need a decent layer of gravel throughout? Can i just get another bag of gravel and add it in and slowly build up the plants?

Is there some sort of grass or something like it that will grow around my plants in gravel alone or does this need special substrate.

If it does I assume I cant do this with a tank which is already set up?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

What fish have you got in the tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Thanks for reply!

A couple of goldfish and tetras I think they are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Well, first off the goldfish need a tank that's at least 140 litres, and secondly they cannot be kept with tetras. Goldfish are coldwater / temperate, whereas tetras are tropical. If you change the tank to suit one, the other will suffer.

Goldfish in that small of a tank would explain the algae levels.

If you want carpeting plants, you'll need to rehome the goldfish, as they will dig in the substrate so no plants will root.

A lot of carpeting plants need specific Co2 levels and lighting, and my advice is to sort out your stock first before getting into that.

They may not be tetra's, they kinda look like that, they are small shoal type fish. They are cold water fish whatever they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Probably White Cloud Mountain Minnows

wcmm.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks, I think they are the ones!

Ok, so if we accept that unfortunately I wont be able to re-house my goldfish in a larger tank (and its a rookie error with noobie tanks I understand from reading here, what they say in the shop is not always the best thing!).

Anyway my algae problem is gone and I would like to add some more green to y tank. I have one plant of uncertain name and one anubias.

Any suggestions as to what I can add next? Without any substrate other than gravel as obviously I assume I cant ADD substrate other than gravel at this stage (I dont have an option to temporarily re house the fish).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hatgirl

As you have goldfish, the best plant for you is probably Elodea. Nearly every fish shop sells it, it is relatively cheap and it thrives in coldwater. It is a floating plant, but if you weigh it down (the local fish shop you buy it from will probably be able to supply you with something like a little twist of lead) it'll live happily on the bottom of the tank and you won't have to worry about "planting" it. Your goldfish will eat it, though. You're better off thinking of it as goldfish food that happens to double as a decorative plant ;)

Advertisement