Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennel Cough

• 20-02-2012 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to let anyone in the North Dublin type area know that there seems to be a dose of kennel cough going around. I know of 6 dogs from 3 households who have had it in the last couple of weeks.
    1 of these dogs has definitely been vaccinated against it so it seems this strain is not being kept at bay by this years vaccine.
    My JRT's best friend came down with it today so I'm watching my lot like a hawk as she spent most of the weekend playing with him.

It's a heads up really to people to keep an eye on their dogs.
    The cough generally sounds like the dog has something in their throat that they are trying to clear. If you suspect that your dog has it and want them checked by the vet, tell the vet your suspicions as some would prefer to check the dog in your car ( or outside the clinic) so other dogs are not exposed.
    It is highly contagious.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Just wanted to let anyone in the North Dublin type area know that there seems to be a dose of kennel cough going around. I know of 6 dogs from 3 households who have had it in the last couple of weeks.
    1 of these dogs has definitely been vaccinated against it so it seems this strain is not being kept at bay by this years vaccine.
    My JRT's best friend came down with it today so I'm watching my lot like a hawk as she spent most of the weekend playing with him.

It's a heads up really to people to keep an eye on their dogs.
    The cough generally sounds like the dog has something in their throat that they are trying to clear. If you suspect that your dog has it and want them checked by the vet, tell the vet your suspicions as some would prefer to check the dog in your car ( or outside the clinic) so other dogs are not exposed.
    It is highly contagious.

My cocker has had kennel cough twice, even though he has been vaccinated and gets all his shots plus kennel cough each year... It's like the flu in humans.. Loads of different strains!

Second time he got it I gave him infant calpol (my vet had suggested this first time he got it) if you catch it early enough they won't need vet treatment.. And sure enought two days later he was grand!

Although it does sound horrible when they are coughing ... My guy was like an old man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My 2 had it a couple of years ago the little one was fine but my big guy got a nasty dose. I found honey brilliant and they loved it.

I'm hoping my dads old girl doesn't get it as she already has problems with her lungs. The vet has given me some antibiotics so at the first sign we can start treating her. So fingers crossed. I'm sure the rest of our bunch will just shake it off.

Advertisement