Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P.T.S. Do all pounds/shelters use the same method and...

• 20-02-2012 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Is the same method used in all pounds/shelters to put dogs asleep,(put down).
    Also what happens to all the dogs after this. Where and how are their bodies disposed of.
    I vaguely know what happens at the pound I'm at but not for any others.

Big changes in these areas over the last 20 years i.m.o.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

All dogs in pounds are put to sleep by lethal injection. They are then bagged and incinerated. Some are stored for a period of time in a cooling/freezer compartment but all are incinerated as with veterinary waste.

Not a pleasent thought at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

This is the truth of what happens....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6xI7xt99zA

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

All dogs in pounds are put to sleep by lethal injection. They are then bagged and incinerated. Some are stored for a period of time in a cooling/freezer compartment but all are incinerated as with veterinary waste.

Not a pleasent thought at all.
    I think the youtube video is very accurate but where do they go then I wonder.

garkane wrote: »
    This is the truth of what happens....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6xI7xt99zA
    yes the video is very accurate to what I know but are they incinerated in Ireland. A few years ago they ended up in Germany as routine.
    Plus you hear him say rendered. Does this mean they end up in some animals food chain?

What about the horses. How are they p.t.s. It is probably still a bullet I think. Terrible waste of nice animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

time lord wrote: »
    What about the horses. How are they p.t.s. It is probably still a bullet I think. Terrible waste of nice animals.

It depends on the circumstances and reasons. Injection is often not suitable or possible for various reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Horses are usually shot in the head - it's quick and the animal doees not suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have had to euthanise a lot of animals especially following road traffic accidents. There is no question in my mind that shooting is preferable to lethal injection because it requires little preparation. No only is death instant but the animal is not subjected to any further stress.

However the graphic nature of shooting & the problems with safety/licensing mean that lethal injection is the standard method. I believe that some Pounds did use a captive bolt gun & I have heard rumours of gas being used in the past. I am not aware of any legislation that defines the method only that it should be humane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

i watched that you tube clip a yr or so a go and oh my god did i cry.i was out gunning for all the pounds. how dare they do this to the poor dogs. but when i calmed down and looked into,while, dont get me wrong, im sure more pounds could do a lot more, its not the pounds fault, its the people who dont bother getting their dog nuetered. its the backyard breeders who think will make a few pounds. its the people who think its ok to let their dogs wander with no collar/id. its the puppy farmers who when they cant sell or their breeding bitch is finished. its these people fault.
    i have heard that the rescues/pound have never been so full as they have already this year. so i suppose when the pounds are full and their seems to be no one claiming, wanting these poor dogs, what else can they do with them. i suppose in some cases there is worst things than been pts. until something is done in this country the reality is, that clip, is the norm everyday in the pounds in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bullet in the head would be routine for horses. As said, it's quick and painless. The size of the animal means that you need very large quantities of chemicals to induce a painless death, and without an accurate way to weigh a horse lying in a field, it would be guesswork as to how much to use - so you risk causing additional suffering to the animal.

Someone who has experience putting horses to sleep in this way can bring about an instant and painless death.

I imagine in the United States a bullet is still the preferred option for dogs as it works out more cost effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

seamus wrote: »
    I imagine in the United States a bullet is still the preferred option for dogs as it works out more cost effective.

I had to have a horse put down & the "knacker" (official title in the UK :)) came out. The horse had no sense that anything was wrong & no fear. The guy gave him a carrot with one hand & a second later the horse was dead.

I totally accept that Vets couldn't do it but I would prefer the same thing for my dogs when the time comes. It is so much less stress than having to visit the Vet, prepare the vein etc. I also think that a lot of people find the whole process, at the Vets, to be very traumatic. It would be wonderful if science could invent a safe method where you could administer a pill & the dog would just pass in it's sleep.

Advertisement