Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 2.0 engine ok for a motorhome

• 20-02-2012 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have my eye on a 4/5 berth coachbuilt motorhome. 5.5 metres in length, so quite a neat van compared to some of the 6 berths out there. It's 2006 and has a 2.0 Tdi engine on a Ducato chassis. The majority of MH's I've seen are 2.3 or 2.8 so I'm wondering if this is an issue. Will it be up to the job? I know that on hilly terrain I'll be lacking a bit and I'll be overtaken. I also know that the engine will have to work harder if I push it up to 120Kmh, but I really can't see myself doing this. We mainly stick to national roads when on holidays, doing 80-100Kmh - so in this respect I'm guessing it could prove to be quite an economical choice.
    We're also concerned that when it comes to selling on in a few years, it may not be the most desirable choice, and other people would avoid it.
    Would appreciate some feed-back
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

kelbal wrote: »
    Hi,
    ................ It's 2006 and has a 2.0 Tdi engine on a Ducato chassis. ...............

I assume you are talking about the 2.0 JTD which in fact is a Citroen/Peugot engine which FIAT use as they don't have a 2.0 engine themselves for that year.

You are the only one who can answer the question about has it enough power.
    If all else is ok take it for a good spin with as much as the usual kit on board as possible, take the other half and the kids (if you have any) and fill the water tank, in other words load it up as much as possible to simulate your holiday weight. Include a few hilly bits on your test drive and see if you are happy with how it drives.

Remember, for 'motor caravans' the engine size does not effect the road tax and insurance price, so no real advantage there for a small engine. A small engine can be more thirsty that a larger one as it will have to work harder in certain conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

Is 2.0 engine ok for a motorhome

it's very thirsty indeed, i now have 2.8 and there is no comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

well I've driven a good few of the PSA 2.0 ones , and tbh , it's a gutsy wee motor for its size . A fair bit ahead of the Fiat 1.9 . If you're not into hilly country , it'd probably work away the finest . Sure a 2.8 would be torquier , but if the camper and price is right , I wouldn't rule it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

thanks, test driving it soon. We'll see!

decided to stay clear of 2.0 engine just in case, got a 2005 with a 2.4 in it, picked it up last night :) Thanks for advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Transit so , I assume?

yes, well spotted!

Advertisement