Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abbey Road Vinyl Original 1969 or not?

Options
  • 20-02-2012 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hey guys I got this Abbey Road record supposedly 1969 1st pressing not sure how to tell though. The Number on the spine of the sleeve is PCS 7088, and 'Her Majesty' Is not on the credits, but is there any other way to tell if this is 1st pressing or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I'd a quick look on the net about this and found a discussion on an audiophile message board, which I've assembled into the following:

The early pressing matrix numbers for Abbey Road were:

Side One: YEX 749-2
    Side Two: YEX 750-1

Some claim the very first pressings had no credit for Her Majesty, a misaligned Apple on the back cover, an Apple ad insert and a black inner sleeve. If that is correct, then the -2/-1 matrices were also used for the second pressing, which credited Her Majesty, came with a white Apple inner and an aligned Apple on the back cover. Others claim that both were first pressings.

The -4/-3 matrices are likely third (or second, depending on one's take of the above) pressings from the early or mid-1970s. This also comes in a laminated cover. The inner sleeve is of the 'EMI' type, and the vinyl is thinner compared to first/second pressings.

Some believe that original UK copies of Abbey Road were issued simultaneously with the infamous black inner sleeve and the generic EMI white one. Also, only some copies of the album had the Apple advertising inner, and - to confuse matters further - there were two different advertising inners: one that folded and one that was about 10" x 10".

There doesn't appear to be a rhyme or reason to the early issues of Abbey Road. Misaligned Apple, aligned Apple, Her Majesty, no Her Majesty, white inner, black inner ... it seems that all combinations were available early on. The least plentiful combination appears to be misaligned Apple, no Her Majesty, black inner.

---

Of course, the really sad thing is that Abbey Road was never issued in mono, apart from some stereo fold-down mixes for foreign issues. :(

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

Whats the story then if there is no -1/-2, just YEX.749 and 750 for side 1 & 2 respectively?

EDIT: Pardon me, just wasn't looking hard enough sorry! (Was looking at the label rather than the imprint!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Whats the story then if there is no -1/-2, just YEX.749 and 750 for side 1 & 2 respectively?

EDIT: Pardon me, just wasn't looking hard enough sorry! (Was looking at the label rather than the imprint!)

Put the catalogue number into discogs.com you should get average price for it depending on condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

or register for popsike.com

My Record Collector price guide for 2010 says GBP 35 for a UK first pressing. The export copies are worth GBP 700. Not common.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

PCs 7088 seems to cover all issues in 1969 of the album (different pressings and countries), you would need to check the runout etchings for more specific identifiers (all records have them) and put them (one at a time) in to Discogs search to find which version it is (this is how I found out that a copy of Dark Side by Floyd I bought in a market here is a rare Irish pressing).

http://www.discogs.com/Beatles-Abbey-Road/master/24047

• Advertisement
Advertisement