Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug testing for a job.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    Ya there is a reason why there are tests .. Company does not need potential of some one coming into work doped up .. U already said that some one had it ( almost ) every day on holiday ... So when they have regular income will the frequency increase ...? Good luck to her though she prob realises now the implications of what ever she was smoking ...

you post is very misinformed, she was on holiday and enjoying herself. she doesnt do it everyday when at home. we smoke when we can afford it and dont when we cant. when people earn more do they drink more? no, not everyone does. so to say the same for weed is silly. and we both agree that drug testing for a soft drug that is less harmful than drink is stupid. harder drugs, yes. but not weed.

Good day ma'am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

you post is very misinformed, she was on holiday and enjoying herself. she doesnt do it everyday when at home. we smoke when we can afford it and dont when we cant. when people earn more do they drink more? no, not everyone does. so to say the same for weed is silly. and we both agree that drug testing for a soft drug that is less harmful than drink is stupid. harder drugs, yes. but not weed.

Good day ma'am.

Are you smoking something now???? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Good day ma'am.

I think once someone is doing their job well it shouldn't matter what they do in their own time.

From my experience and from what I've observed people who smoke dube or drink heavy are, if the opportunity arises more likely to do so during work hours than someone who takes harder drugs.

I wouldn't separate soft drugs use from hard drugs either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Fake urine sample?

Ludo wrote: »
    Are you smoking something now???? :confused:

What, if anything, in my post would lead you to believe that?
    54kroc wrote: »
    I think once someone is doing their job well it shouldn't matter what they do in their own time.

agreed

BUT
    From my experience and from what I've observed people who smoke dube or drink heavy are, if the opportunity arises more likely to do so during work hours than someone who takes harder drugs.

doesnt make sense

I've smoked on and off for over 15 years now, and I've NEVER done it on the job. that same as any sane person would never drink on the job, and i've gone to work the next morning after a night on the smoke feeling much better than a night on the drink.
    I wouldn't separate soft drugs use from hard drugs either though.

I would, so coffee=fags=beer=weed=lsd=heroin in your opinion, yeah?

and its doob, not dube :cool:

• Advertisement

What, if anything, in my post would lead you to believe that?

agreed

BUT

doesnt make sense

I've smoked on and off for over 15 years now, and I've NEVER done it on the job. that same as any sane person would never drink on the job, and i've gone to work the next morning after a night on the smoke feeling much better than a night on the drink.

and its doob, not dube :cool:

Your away with the fairies fella, are you sure you smoke? do you live in the real world or your own little dream world.
    Do yourself a favor stop posting rubbish and stfu

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

U do have to accept the reason behind companies having certain conditions and criteria that they use to screen potential candidates .. If your girlfriend is worried about certain tests get her to suss out if she can post pone the medical exam ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

stfu

no. no no no. that's not polite discourse. not even close.

This is all very amusing and all that but unless someone has something useful to say, that's on topic, this thread has run it's course.

how to pass drug tests, whether or not people should do drugs etc, is all off topic. you can take that to some other forum.

Your away with the fairies fella, are you sure you smoke? do you live in the real world or your own little dream world.
    Do yourself a favor stop posting rubbish and stfu

Before the thread is locked, please point out what's wrong with my statements, and why they are rubbish and refrain from using personal abuse. Also, please answer the question I posed in my previous post as to why you can't separate hard and soft drugs.

With mods permission I'd like it remained open until 54kroc addresses this.

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    U do have to accept the reason behind companies having certain conditions and criteria that they use to screen potential candidates .. If your girlfriend is worried about certain tests get her to suss out if she can post pone the medical exam ..

We both accept the reason, the same way we both accept marijuana is a controllled substance. It does not mean we agree with it.

I'm sorry that the thread is derailed but I can't sit by and let what I believe to be misguided opinions remain unchallenged. My opinions on this thread have been called rubbish.... But no ones has given me reasons why.

Yet another poster says "people who smoke and drink heavily are more likely to do it on the job" really?

Another poster asks that if someone is earning more they're likely to consume more illegal drugs? That's like asking if they'll buy more beer in the offie or put more petrol in their car.

And to say "she probably realises the implications of what she was smoking" is quite patronising. Yes she realises that something she took a month ago which doesn't affect her ability to do work 24 hours later, let alone a month later could prevent her from getting a job now. doesn't that seem wrong?

Apologies for the rant.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Also, please answer the question I posed in my previous post as to why you can't separate hard and soft drugs...
    To be fair to the mods and in the context of the OP, was the girl-friend doing hard drugs or soft drugs on holiday and how do you (or she) differentiate? Do you think the Fruit Company differentiates?

Before anyone dives in with an answer, most differentiations I have seen are at the same intellectual level as the "How many pints can I drink before I fail a breath-test?" questions

mathepac wrote: »
    To be fair to the mods and in the context of the OP, was the girl-friend doing hard drugs or soft drugs on holiday and how do you (or she) differentiate? Do you think the Fruit Company differentiates?

Before anyone dives in with an answer, most differentiations I have seen are at the same intellectual level as the "How many pints can I drink before I fail a breath-test?" questions

Marijuana. We do not use any hard drugs. In fact neither of us hardly drink anymore. We see it as:

Coffee, alcohol, fags, weed= soft drugs
    LSD, speed, cocaine, heroin= hard drugs

In fact we think weed is less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco, with more benefits than the two, and others can dive in here with "well that's your opinion". But it's more than that, it's a belief.

And, it's not about quantity. To equate a drugs test to a breathalyser, one sip of beer won't get you banned from the road, but one toke of a joint will stop you getting a job. Again, doesn't that seem wrong to anyone else?

Marijuana. We do not use any hard drugs. In fact neither of us hardly drink anymore. We see it as:

Coffee, alcohol, fags, weed= soft drugs
    LSD, speed, cocaine, heroin= hard drugs

In fact we think weed is less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco, with more benefits than the two, and others can dive in here with "well that's your opinion". But it's more than that, it's a belief.

And, it's not about quantity. To equate a drugs test to a breathalyser, one sip of beer won't get you banned from the road, but one toke of a joint will stop you getting a job. Again, doesn't that seem wrong to anyone else?
    Apart from the obvious need to educate yourselves about drugs and the law, all multinational companies see themselves as corporate guests and usually have a charter that commits them to being good corporate citizens, working within the context of local legal requirements. This charter extends to their employees, so consumption of an illegal substance is an absolute no-no, apart from the issue of having intoxicated employees (from legal or illegal substances) loose in the work-place.

deRanged wrote: »

no. no no no. that's not polite discourse. not even close.

This is all very amusing and all that but unless someone has something useful to say, that's on topic, this thread has run it's course.

how to pass drug tests, whether or not people should do drugs etc, is all off topic. you can take that to some other forum.
    Before the thread is locked, please point out what's wrong with my statements, and why they are rubbish and refrain from using personal abuse. Also, please answer the question I posed in my previous post as to why you can't separate hard and soft drugs.

With mods permission I'd like it remained open until 54kroc addresses this.

120_Minutes, my post was wrong and well out of order, I sincerely apologize.

Clearly we both have different definitions of what soft drugs are.
    A soft drugs to me is something like dube, not coffee or fags, a hard drug would be heroin or coke.

You say my previous post about what I observed doesn't make sense, This is something I've seen people do for myself on many occasions.
    A joint at a break or alcohol with lunch, I'm talking about people like builders, solicitors and architects.
    The point I'm making is that I've seen people from all types jobs happily have a drink or a smoke during work but I've never seen someone use hard drugs during work.

When I said I wouldn't separate soft drug use from hard what I meant was, imo drug use is drug use (again I don't mean coffee or fags) weather that be smoking a joint or snorting a line of something, but thats just my opinion.
    I don't mind what people do in their own time once their job is done well.

Again I apologize for my previous post and I wish your bird all the best in her interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Apart from the obvious need to educate yourselves about drugs and the law, all multinational companies see themselves as corporate guests and usually have a charter that commits them to being good corporate citizens, working within the context of local legal requirements. This charter extends to their employees, so consumption of an illegal substance is an absolute no-no, apart from the issue of having intoxicated employees (from legal or illegal substances) loose in the work-place.

I've worked for many multinationals and never once had to do a drug test. It's none of their business and it's certainly not their responsibility to shape the good citizens of Ireland.

Stark wrote: »
    ... It's none of their business and it's certainly not their responsibility to shape the good citizens of Ireland.
    It certainly is their business to ensure that no intoxicated employee having consumed legal or illegal drugs enters their premises. The Fruit Company have every right to expect their employees to show up drug-free and fit to carry out their duties and observe the laws of the state while there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

we smoke when we can afford it and dont when we cant. when people earn more do they drink more? no, not everyone does. so to say the same for weed is silly.

Another poster asks that if someone is earning more they're likely to consume more illegal drugs? That's like asking if they'll buy more beer in the offie or put more petrol in their car.

You seem to contradict yourself, outraged that someone would suggest she would smoke more while earning more, yet you said exactly that in a previous post.

Smoking for a long time doesn't make you a heavy user, smoking a lot makes you a heavy user.
    and we both agree that drug testing for a soft drug that is less harmful than drink is stupid. harder drugs, yes. but not weed.

LSD is also considered less harmful than alcohol by many people but you seem to have it in your 'hard drugs' list?

the original question was
    Has anyone been in this situation? A google search brings up conflicting info with one guy saying he failed yet still got the job, and another guy saying the opposite.

lengthy debates about the morality of drug use, the hardness of drugs, and so on are all off topic. I'm closing this very soon unless useful, *on topic* things are posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Try this to set your other halfs maind at ease...

http://www.inhealth.ie/Products/Home-Drug-Test---1-Test__4006.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

deRanged wrote: »
    the original question was

lengthy debates about the morality of drug use, the hardness of drugs, and so on are all off topic. I'm closing this very soon unless useful, *on topic* things are posted.

Sorry, sometimes it's hard not to get dragged in! OP, you say she did a test form the pharmacy which she failed, how long after the smoking did she do the test? I would expect that if they choose to include a drug test, then it likely would disqualify a person if they failed, otherwise I would wonder why they would have it at all.

• Advertisement

dearg lady wrote: »
    You seem to contradict yourself, outraged that someone would suggest she would smoke more while earning more, yet you said exactly that in a previous post.

Smoking for a long time doesn't make you a heavy user, smoking a lot makes you a heavy user.

LSD is also considered less harmful than alcohol by many people but you seem to have it in your 'hard drugs' list?

we would smoke the same amount regardless of what our incomes are, we know our limits, the same as if we were drinkers. again, my point is, in our case the amount we earn does not dictate the amount we consume, Weed, like beer, is a luxury to us, and if there a few quid leftover we'll buy some. if not we wont. its not a priority. with extra income coming in our first thoughts are not, "great! more weed!"

I personally consider LSD to be more harmful than other drugs. i dont knock anyone for taking it, but you need to be in a more controlled envirionment to do it.

54kroc, i dont agree with drinking or smoking weed during work. but i do agree with you, whatever you do on your own time is your own business. thanks for your reply. but i think you can seperate weed/drink from the harder drugs.

IN FACT, i believe that if you're gonna include THC on a work drug test, you should include alcohol also. fairs fair. But before you all reply with "sure they mave have had a few pints the night before, why should that stop them getting a job?" EXACTLY my point with weed.

anyway. this thread can be closed, SHE PASSED THE TEST!!

... SHE PASSED THE TEST!!
    Well done, I hope she gets the job then she can really go Bananas!

... SHE PASSED THE TEST!!
    Well done, I hope she gets the job then she can really go Bananas!

Or I can use her staff discount!

SHE PASSED THE TEST!!

excellent!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement