Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling from Westport to Kilmeena

Options
  • 20-02-2012 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Greetings from Philadelphia! My girlfriend and I are staying in Westport, and would like to bike to Kilmeena. I presume we can take the Greenway for the better part of the journey, but I can't find any good maps of the Greenway that include local towns and highways. Can someone provide me with a link? Do you have any advice for us?

adTHANKSvance,
    Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Openstreetmap is decent enough for the general area http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.8234913349152&lon=-9.53930854797363&zoom=14

Once you're off the greenway the local roads (not the N59) are generally very quiet. There are some old deserted harbours in the area and it is pretty spectacular.

If you're feeling adventurous it's worth it to continue on towards Newport and on to Mulranny (& Achill). The Greenway is on-road for a short section (around 2km) before Newport (and the road at this point is poor, and quite busy), they are currently upgrading that link though, and it should be done by the summer. The greenway beyond Newport goes a bit further from the main road so it's more peaceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Shortmort73

Kilmeena lies between Westport and Newport

The Greenway while a great amenity is somewhat inland.

Leaving Westport you could go down the golf course road to Carraholly ( Ceathrún an Chalaidh ) - the Harbour Quarter.

After passing the Golf Course and Rugby pitch go N. for a quarter mile. Then there is a road down to the sailing centre which brings you to Rosmoney headland. The Mayo Sailing Club has its HQ there. they have racing on thursday evenings, and crew are always welcome, The French sailing organisation Glenans has a base at Collanmore Island just across from the Mayo SC.

btw most of the piers along the coast were built over a 100 years ago by the state for fishing purposes. The larger pier at Rosmoney was built about 35 years agoas a turntable and parking place for car and other vehicles, some ser vicing the islands. The preparatory work and consents required here to build a pier are more complicated, so it was simpler to build a turntable, and add some ladders etc later. The smaller pier was built by local voluntary effort c 40 years ago, aided by a small grant

On the south side of Rosmoney there is an old Coastguard Station now restored by the Cahill family. This is open to the public at certain times - you would need to check in Tourism office Westport.

North of Rosmoney you cross over the Mayour Drainage Canal - which was a drain cut > 100 years ago to drain the land but also for use as a canal to bring turf out to the coast for the islands.

Following the coast road along you come to Myna Church. About 50 yards N of the church there is a road heading West to the village of Cleggan on the coast. There is a causeway from Cleggan out into the bay finishing at Quinns Iniscuttle - passable at all tides. Inishcuttle is an island ( Inis beng Irish for Island ) "Cuttle" is said to derive f rom a viking chief of simillar name who is said to be buried there. Only viking place name along the coast, altho I am sure the vikings were in Clew Bay.

btw when John Lennon wished to look at an Island he bought in Clew Bay Dorinsh - his advisers brought him out from the pier at Inishcuttle as h e wished to avoid publicity. Pat Quinn , a very expperienced boatmen brought him out.

Further north there is, or was last time I was there a 9 hole golf course. Greens wise not up to the standard of Westport GC but worth a walk for some stunning views of Clew Bay Croagh Patrick, Clare Island etc

enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shortmort37

Both very helpful replies. Thanks much!

Dan

Advertisement