Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good qualirt dark chocolate for Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Options
  • 20-02-2012 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am hoping to make this butter cream and am looking for recommend/suggestions on good quality dark chocolate to use.

http://www.mandymortimer.com/devils-food-cupcakes/

I've made this recipe before and I never eat or use dark chocolate so haven't a clue what to go for.

Would appreciate some help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Lidl have some really good dark chocolate various percentages, it's good quality and cheaper than some other supermarkets.

Although check out various supermarkets sometimes they sell Lindt chocolate off.

Unless it's for something really nice I generally just use Aldis dark choc..looks kind of like a Bournville choc wrapper it's 50% I think. But for something that you want to taste extra good then I'd go with Lidl or even some of the Tesco dark chocs are just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thank you, unfortunately my nearest Lidl is about six miles away so I have to make do with Tesco/Dunnes Stores/Aldi.

My local Dunnes Stores had Lindt chocolate on special offer (€1.50 a bar) not too long ago, must see if they still have it on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Aldi do a really nice dark chocolate too, I use it all the time for baking, it's with their chocolate rather than the baking stuff. x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Yeah Aldi chocolate is great, Moser Roth I think it's called.

Thanks a million guys, will have a look for it today so :D

• Advertisement

Got Lindt choclate with 85% cocoa in Dunnes today, on offer at €1.50 I think it is.

I got some white chocolate as well to use in vanilla butter cream, anyone have any idea how I'd go about it?

I'd like to try this recipe http://www.mandymortimer.com/vanilla-cupcakes/

I'm only going to try icing six buns for the moment as I want to see how the icing turns out before I do more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

You could try this recipe on the Wilton site. I'm not a lover of buttercream myself, far too sugary and grainy. I prefer to use fresh cream whipped with fruit, meringue frosting, or ganache as a cupcake topping, so I haven't tried it, but I have tried a few of their other recipes and they are pretty good. All in US measurements though, so you may need to convert.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

85% cocoa is going to be very bitter, just so you're prepared. I'd say most chocolate things wouldn't normally be over 70%.

Advertisement