Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable for woodworking router

• 20-02-2012 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Wondering where I could a cable for my dewalt router its just wear on the main cable going into the router works when I manipulate the cord in different ways so I know it's the cable thats the problem this is the router and you can see the cable to.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzKoEpM32SX7biIKMYM00c34lspooiN-0NWXXuTXCzxRXEcLmy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

most electrical wholesalers will have it
    3x1mm should do it

why not shorten the lead thats on it and re-make the connection back on (thats if the fault is close to the router/plug)

my guess is that the problem is close to the chord grip on the router?
    just cut the lead back a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭toshy321

meercat wrote: »
    my guess is that the problem is close to the chord grip on the router?
    just cut the lead back a bit
    Cheers meercat will give that a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

3x1.5 trs rubber flex is better suited to these type applications.
    its more subtle and tougher then standard flex and doesnt really kink over time like normal black flex.

Your right Indie armada that would be the correct cable to use, for the moment though just going to try and fix old cable what I done was cut away from where I expect the cable is perished and rejoined back to switch, there was 2 little brass connections on the end of the two lines of cable couldn't reuse them so just put the cables directly into switch without them anyway router is now making funny sound and the motor isnt turning. What do them brass connections do would they make a differnce if they were there?

• Advertisement

toshy321 wrote: »
    Your right Indie armada that would be the correct cable to use, for the moment though just going to try and fix old cable what I done was cut away from where I expect the cable is perished and rejoined back to switch, there was 2 little brass connections on the end of the two lines of cable couldn't reuse them so just put the cables directly into switch without them anyway router is now making funny sound and the motor isnt turning. What do them brass connections do would they make a differnce if they were there?

wouldnt take any parts away tbh
    any chance of pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

it sounds like your talking about the little ferrules crimped onto the cables cause its stranded. dont think not reusing these would cause the problem you now have. at a guess its prob a re-asembly issue, wrong screw in wrong place or something like that.

Ye thats what they are alright didnt think them been missing would make a difference either. Before the router ran 100percent of the time once you moved the cable as it entered the router, now that I have cut this cable and redone it the router makes a groaning noise as if the motor is locked can't really understand why as it was running before. To be honest my connections are right too cant understand it maybe I'll have to give it to someone with a bit more experience thanks for the replies anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

it should work unless maybe you cut it wrong side of break?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

toshy321 wrote: »
    Ye thats what they are alright didnt think them been missing would make a difference either. Before the router ran 100percent of the time once you moved the cable as it entered the router, now that I have cut this cable and redone it the router makes a groaning noise as if the motor is locked can't really understand why as it was running before. To be honest my connections are right too cant understand it maybe I'll have to give it to someone with a bit more experience thanks for the replies anyway

Sometimes when these type of machines are put back together, the internal parts are not perfectly aligned in the housing as they were. Something may be slightly out of place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

meercat wrote: »
    wouldnt take any parts away tbh
    any chance of pics?

He would have to be cutting the ferules off, along with a few inches of the cable.

Lads got the router going again today the only reason it wasnt going after the cable fix was the router bit was out of the router and it was locked fairly stupid on my end. Router is flying now thanks for the help lads.

Advertisement