Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Tv shows and Movies get WRONG!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Why does no one ever say the amount of money they are offering for something? In a one on one conversation one person writes an amount down and shows it to the other without showing the camera.

They do this on purpose. Price is like technology....it doesn't age well.

So that when the show is aired in 5 years time, or in krapblakistan.....the amount isn't ridiculously low or high. It's just as low or high as the plot demands and doesn't have to get into specifics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

KKkitty wrote: »
    On an average day you'd talk about the weather or something topical but not in soaps or movies. Almost every character cheats, lies or has a deep, dark secret too which bugs me. Real life isn't like that.

they probably want to avoid something like this

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

mike65 wrote: »
    True, never have so many pubs/bars had so little drink drunk in them. Then there is the smoking angle, these days even the baddies hardly ever light up.

Unless they conveniently set the show in the 1960s and everyone smokes from daybreak to lights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Colmo52 wrote: »
    Also the baddies are always very bad at shooting in any program/film.

poze-haioase-bad-guys-have-bad-aim.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The worst is when the hero who has the odds against him goes into the final confrontation and gets shot in the chest. He then gets up kills the bad guy and shows he was wearing body armour all along. They never think about getting shot in the head.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well most people shoot for the chest as the head is a pretty tiny target

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Dad watches Fair City: they seem to go to The Bistro[/i[ every time they want tea or anything. Don't seem to do it at home, ever.

When there was nothing else on: Two/three people playing an FPS on Hollyoaks. With an SDTV which wasn't split-screened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Worst for me was in the short lived series 'Life' when some juvenile hacker guy hid a bunch of incriminating evidence in an XML file in Prince of Persia 3 on his xbox. Good God what the fup :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

bpb101 wrote: »
    Conor108 wrote: »
    I thought that not cocking it isn't a problem. It's a double-action firearm so the act of squeezing the trigger will pull the hammer back. Cocking it would just put into single-action mode where the gun would just require a shorter trigger pull to fire. Is that right?

the first bullets has to be cocked , the other bullets are cocked by the the force of the bullet exiting the chamber causes a the gun to autocock the next shot
    the only exclusion is the revolver and this clearly wasn't

about the ncis video i was just thinking , take out the f ucking plug :L

DAO pistols don't have to be cocked. On a lot of models it's impossible to pre cock whether via the slide or using the thumb. Check the slide. Some models will keep the cock down as seen in the video. It has no baring on the outcome of the first shot. Load the mag. The gun can now be fired via the trigger only. 3/4 of the way back will be a hard pull which cocks the gun and loads first bullet for the striker and full squeeze fires it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If you crash a car it will explode into a fireball

How may times have you ever seen a car burnt out from an explosion on the news?
    Now maybe this is something RTÉ would not show but it just doesn't happen and there are tens of thousands of crashes every year

If it does it's a freak occurance, it can happen but very rare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Worst for me was in the short lived series 'Life' when some juvenile hacker guy hid a bunch of incriminating evidence in an XML file in Prince of Persia 3 on his xbox. Good God what the fup :mad:

I thought exactly the same when I saw the episode! I tried explaining it to my Luddite relative who watched it too but they didn't get it.

As regards smoking on television. From what I understand, it's less a health and safety problem and more of a continuity problem. Back in the 1960's, everyone smoked so it wasn't an issue. They simply acted while they were smoking. Now with so many camera angles and so many takes. It will be that much harder to get the cigaratte the right length in every scene. That's why nowadays, I think you only see them lighting up or stubbing it out to make a dramatic point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

bpb101 wrote: »
    i just remember one i think it was the simpsons , but i could be wrong

somebody firing 3 shots from a clearly double barreled shotgun
    i think it was moe from years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

one thing that piss me off is when somebody run into somebody they knew from a few years ago or school in a coffee shop and he ask her out and say its a date , ill pick you up at 8
    bye
    bye

you dont know where the f uck she lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Finneen

When they have a movie set in the past and all the clothes look like something from a costume shop. They should appear a bit dirty or worn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Lightsaber

I hate it when some character in tv/film is in hospital or wherever, usually very ill and they 'flatline' (ie. heart stops beating) marked by the long drawn out beeeeeeep on the heart monitor.

Cue somebody running in with a defibrillator, administrating multiple increasingly dramatic shocks and hey presto the patient miraculously recovers.

In real life, shocks can only be used on a certain irregular heart rhythms and are NEVER used when the heart has stopped beating. When the latter happens only CPR and maybe medications are of any use.

Pedantic point maybe but it drives me mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

Lightsaber wrote: »
    I hate it when some character in tv/film is in hospital or wherever, usually very ill and they 'flatline' (ie. heart stops beating) marked by the long drawn out beeeeeeep on the heart monitor.

Cue somebody running in with a defibrillator, administrating multiple increasingly dramatic shocks and hey presto the patient miraculously recovers.

In real life, shocks can only be used on a certain irregular heart rhythms and are NEVER used when the heart has stopped beating. When the latter happens only CPR and maybe medications are of any use.

Pedantic point maybe but it drives me mad!

The entire movie Flatliners was about that, wasn't it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The original TV A-Team firing of guns sequences!
    They were supposed to be an ultimate best of the best, small army squad - yet every week in every episode, for all the guns that had and fired, they couldn't hit a barn door (or person) accurately at 10 yards.
    They blew the schite out of nothing and killed no one!
    (Yes, I know its was really a show made for young minds etc - but come on, have some bloody reality!)

That used to piss me off big time (still does lol)! :D
    If any real trained soldier was that bad at firing a weapon, he himself/herself should be fired!

Elite squad my ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Bad+Guys+Training.+Saw+this+online+thought+I+d+share.+made_a1b7b9_3215942.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The main thing that really gets on my wick is when someone in a TV show or movie is using a computer they never use a mouse :eek:

Also how an image/video no matter how bad the source it came from is, it can be zoomed in and blown up to picture perfect HD quality levels :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

It's a classic but I'll mention it anyway. Paying taxi drivers AFTER you get out of the car. Certainly wouldn't happen in Dublin and didn't happen in America when I was there either. This thing of casually getting out of the car and then leaning over the driver door and paying him? Don't know where that one came from!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

In the film Gladiator, Russel Crowes character Maximus is pitted against many soldiers on scythe chariots in the arena. However scythes were not attatched to the chariot until the times of Alexander the great which came after the ancient Roman period!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

DL Saint wrote: »
    In the film Gladiator, Russel Crowes character Maximus is pitted against many soldiers on scythe chariots in the arena. However scythes were not attatched to the chariot until the times of Alexander the great which came after the ancient Roman period!

What an outrage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

Walk into any bar and ask for a pint or a beer and they will miraculously serve the brand you want without asking also beer taps only need to be pulled forward about a quarter of an inch to fill a glass in seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

It's a great movie but if you have studied the period it's set in the number of inaccuracies would make your head hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

Gladiator was actually set about 500 years after Alexander the Great. There really was so much historically wrong with that film (and most historical films) though!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭clever_name

Biggins wrote: »
    The original TV A-Team firing of guns sequences!
    They were supposed to be an ultimate best of the best, small army squad - yet every week in every episode, for all the guns that had and fired, they couldn't hit a barn door (or person) accurately at 10 yards.
    They blew the schite out of nothing and killed no one!
    (Yes, I know its was really a show made for young minds etc - but come on, have some bloody reality!)

That used to piss me off big time (still does lol)! :D
    If any real trained soldier was that bad at firing a weapon, he himself/herself should be fired!

Elite squad my ass!

The fact that they never hit anyone shows how elite they were, can you imagine the skill needed to blow up a jeep or empty a gun into a group of thugs and even cause a scratch? They were the best marksmen ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The fact that they never hit anyone shows how elite they were, can you imagine the skill needed to blow up a jeep or empty a gun into a group of thugs and even cause a scratch? They were the best marksmen ever.

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Girls raising one leg in movies.tv when they get kissed....who does that??????

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The Tudors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Finneen

Girls raising one leg in movies.tv when they get kissed....who does that??????
    My ex did! Also, when people need money they visit a bank to either withdraw or rob. They never, ever use an ATM

Advertisement