Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone- should I get out now?

Options
  • 20-02-2012 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I was an O2 subscriber, but not too happy with their costs. So last Thursday I ordered a new phone (iPhone 4S 16GB) and contract from Vodafone online. Despite the fact that they promised next day delivery nothing showed up. Today a phone arrives – it’s an iPhone 4, 8GB!
    I called Vodafone and asked them to delay the transfer from O2 to Vodafone and send me the correct phone! They promised they would, but it could not be sent out until the wrong phone has been collected on Tuesday, so I would not get it until Wednesday at the earliest.
    2 hours later and while I’m on the way to the airport my phone goes offline – it says it is connected to O2 but I cannot dial out and cannot receive data. Obviously I cannot call Vodafone so I have to wait until I’m in Madrid before calling them again. They tell me it is too late to reconnect me to O2 now, but I might be connected again by 12 noon tomorrow. I’m not holding my breath.
    My question is –do I cancel all dealings with Vodafone now while I’m still in the 7 day period? Bearing in mind they:
    1. Lied about next day delivery
    2. Sent the wrong phone
    3. Disconnected my phone (after telling them not to) and will take half a day to reconnect
    Now I am really scared to continue with them! Are they always like this?
    Any advice appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Ive been with Vodafone since they entered Ireland,(and Eircell before that) And although i haven't had any major problems. Any time I have had to deal with their customer service they have been a disaster. (on the phone and online) guys in the shop were ok. I at the moment feel they really couldn't care less about keeping custom. And from looking around their pretty damb expensive.

If i were you id think twice about staying with them.

Thats just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

If you have put the sim card in the phone that they sent you then they will NOT take it back within the 7 day period. I tried to return my Lumia 800 a couple of days after I bought it and they said that once you insert a sim card the phone is considered used, and cannot be sold as a new phone, hence they dont take it back.

I was told this by two separate people from VF. Apparently it is in the small print, but I couldn't find that on the website. It probably is there I'm sure, I'm just pissed off that I am stuck with the phone. As for getting out of the contract, that would involve returning the phone, and seeing as the sim card was inserted in it, then you cant... ... ...see where I'm going here? :mad:

It's just something to bear in mind. Get on the phone to them to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

How the hell do you establish if its not fit for purpose if you dont insert the sim:eek:?

How the hell do you establish if its not fit for purpose if you dont insert the sim:eek:?

They expect you to play with it in no sim mode. You can do pretty much everything except make calls so that's their logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Their contracts have a 14 day cooling off period I would execute it and port elsewhere or back to o2.

Even if you put a simcard in it tell them you never used it. If you did factory reset it, not sure how they could tell.

Myself and the wife moved in September and I am going to contact comreg. Even though I set the wifes up on line they set her up on the wrong plan, first bill was 140, should be 20 a month. Rang them giving out yards and three months later I ended up changing it online myself and they then passed 3 credits.

Twice I have got billed for huge data, first time I rang I was told this happens sometimes. Second time they are saying I used over 1GB in an hour, the phone was on my desk with only gmail sync on, everything else was off. When I rang I explained I did not use the phone, the guy I was talking to suggested that one of my colleagues took my phone and tethered it. I said believe it or not we have internet in work and nobody I work with would do that, I had no meetings that afternoon and our usb ports are disabled and my phone was screen locked by password. Well its possible.....

Avoid them like the plague.

• Advertisement

hucklebuck wrote: »
    Their contracts have a 14 day cooling off period I would execute it and port elsewhere or back to o2.

Yes they do, but in order to back out of the contract, you have to return the phone unused, which means not putting the sim card in it, hence if you have used the phone with the sim card, you can't return it, and subsequently you can't get out of the contract.

This is what I was told anyway when I enquired about this very thing...

I think I might try and find the small print about cancelling contracts etc.

I have tried to find it and I can't. Not in the "Terms & Conditions" section of the website anyway. In the sidebar when you click into the details of a phone, it says that they will give you a no quibble refund if you return the phone unused within 14 days. It has to be in the T&C's though?

I did find this page however. The 28 day exchange or refund thing is interesting...

Advertisement