Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA and summer work

Options
  • 20-02-2012 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi guys
    im currently doing a 1 year course( FETAC level 5) and am receiving BTEA.
    Iv also been lucky enough to pick up a part time job before christmas.
    I have applyed through CAO for college this summer and am hoping i get in this year as i missed out last year:(
    Its looking like the part time job im in could become full time during the summer.
    I do know that if i had got BTEA for a 4 year course then work during the summer would be no problem as the BTEA would resume when college does.But seeing as i applied only for a 1 year course i believe im stuck in limbo.
    To qualify for BTEA for next year it says on the social welfare website that i must be on jobseekers before the course starts.
    As stupid as it seems it looks like i would be better off to go on jobseekers for the summer so i can qualify for the BTEA come august.
    Has anyone got any prior experiences of this situation?
    Any help would be great guys
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

The bottom line is you have to be on Jobseeker for 9 months for the third level option. I can't say you should stay on jobseekers to get BTEA but above are the rules so its up to you. I don't want to get into trouble :D!
    It is a funny set up in my opinion but them be the rules so all us mortals can do is abide by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scoob70

The bottom line is you have to be on Jobseeker for 9 months for the third level option. I can't say you should stay on jobseekers to get BTEA but above are the rules so its up to you. I don't want to get into trouble :D!
    It is a funny set up in my opinion but them be the rules so all us mortals can do is abide by them.

Well, not strictly true. If you have just done a FETAC 5 (finished in May) and you were getting BTEA whilst on the course you can claim JSA for the summer (3 months) and if you still haven't found a job you can then go straight to a FETAC 6/3rd level study the following Sept and go on BTEA again :).

Advertisement