Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health food jobs?

Options
  • 20-02-2012 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hello everyone!! Hope someone can help me on this!
    I've being working in Health food store now for nearly 2 years and quit my job as it was only 12 hours a week, i loved my job so much and i love health food but i would make more money living in social welfare and i want to pursuit a career in this sector but full time!!
    Has anyone got any suggestions?! I dont mind traveling for the job, and willing to move away from health food shop work as long as it involved Health food!
    I cant find a single vacancy online... and if i do its only part time work!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Get yourself a degree in food science or human nutrition. From there you can work in consultancy, product development, retail, etc. Agri business is a booming sector, employment woes are practically non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭curry_person

Get yourself a degree in food science or human nutrition. From there you can work in consultancy, product development, retail, etc. Agri business is a booming sector, employment woes are practically non-existent.

Thanks i often thought about doing something like that but i dont have enough points... i also looked at doing nutritional therapy but it costs too much for me... and i know people who have done the course and struggle to get work/clients. If i can get full time work i would do the course (one weekend a month so is do able while in full time) to help me in health food position alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

curry_kunt wrote: »
    Thanks i often thought about doing something like that but i dont have enough points... i also looked at doing nutritional therapy but it costs too much for me... and i know people who have done the course and struggle to get work/clients. If i can get full time work i would do the course (one weekend a month so is do able while in full time) to help me in health food position alright

What age are you? Would you be near the age of a mature student (23/4+)? If so the normal points system wouldn't apply.

This is completely my opinion, but - I would try and do a university course rather than a weekend course. You will come out with a much better degree and a more sound understanding of the science behind what you know.

In the mean time you could see if there is anywhere that might let you shadow someone or do an internship type thing, for the experience. Email around to companies in the jobs area that you think you might like and see what they say.

WeeBushy wrote: »

In the mean time you could see if there is anywhere that might let you shadow someone or do an internship type thing, for the experience. Email around to companies in the jobs area that you think you might like and see what they say.

im 19 and i never thought about internships! thats a really good idea! will have to see how much extra i will get from payments as i do need something that pays well! my mother is getting abit sick of me eating her food etc!
    i will look into it :) thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

The wages in health food shops are in line with retail jobs.

Being honest you'd be better working for Tesco as they have a health food section and room for progression.

The other option is to go it alone.

You did not specify what aspect of health foods you wish to be in?

Health Food is a very broad term loosely used nowadays.

• Advertisement

The Guvnor wrote: »
    You did not specify what aspect of health foods you wish to be in?

Health Food is a very broad term loosely used nowadays.

Ya i understand the wages are terrible in health food ... :(
    Something i enjoy doing so would like to stick at it anyways!
    I would like to be a Sales assistant for Health Food store, or work for a health food company such as Kelkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

im 19 and i never thought about internships! thats a really good idea! will have to see how much extra i will get from payments as i do need something that pays well! my mother is getting abit sick of me eating her food etc!
    i will look into it :) thanks!

If someone were to give you an apprenticeship, I'm pretty sure it would most likely be an unpaid one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I would like to be a Sales assistant for Health Food store, or work for a health food company such as Kelkin.

:D The guys that sell maize + vegetable oil + salt in a microwave box?

danlen wrote: »
    If someone were to give you an apprenticeship, I'm pretty sure it would most likely be an unpaid one.
    ya i would do a apprenticeship no problem! but i dont think there is one in health food stores etc available? anyways i used to work in 2 different health stores and did alot of the courses so im trained already to give advice

Zamboni wrote: »
    :D The guys that sell maize + vegetable oil + salt in a microwave box?

i love there microwave popcorn aghhh! lol whats wrong with that mix? it is alot healthier then other microwave popcorn brands! i wouldn't say there is healthy but is by far healthier ! xD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,286 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

i love there microwave popcorn aghhh! lol whats wrong with that mix? it is alot healthier then other microwave popcorn brands! i wouldn't say there is healthy but is by far healthier ! xD
    What makes you think it is in anyway healthier?

The corn kernals are the same, the salt is the same, the oil/fat is likely very similar.

A healthy popcorn would be something like kernals in coconut oil. Doesn't exist as a product afaik.

Mellor wrote: »
    What makes you think it is in anyway healthier?

The corn kernals are the same, the salt is the same, the oil/fat is likely very similar.

A healthy popcorn would be something like kernals in coconut oil. Doesn't exist as a product afaik.
    i think it is the fact its lower in fat then other brands? i shall have to double check this tho next time im shopping!
    hmm never tried doing popcorn in coconut oil!!! gonna give that ago! i love coconut oil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Ya i understand the wages are terrible in health food ... :(
    Something i enjoy doing so would like to stick at it anyways!

I would prefer if I was 19 to work for a dynamic, fast growing company.

That said the wages are poor so owner/operator of health food store or online version is better. Online far better imo - entry costs are lower and catchment area is potentially bigger and better!

Best of luck with it and keep us updated.

The Guvnor wrote: »
    I would prefer if I was 19 to work for a dynamic, fast growing company.

That said the wages are poor so owner/operator of health food store or online version is better. Online far better imo - entry costs are lower and catchment area is potentially bigger and better!

Best of luck with it and keep us updated.
    well when i was working in health food i was getting over 10e an hour which isnt too bad for retail, ya working online was something i was looking into alright but have no idea about it or what type of training i need for that?:confused: i guess i can hope to someday own my own store and be filthy rich :p

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

i think it is the fact its lower in fat then other brands? i shall have to double check this tho next time im shopping!
    hmm never tried doing popcorn in coconut oil!!! gonna give that ago! i love coconut oil :)

Doesn't make it healthier per se.

danlen wrote: »
    Doesn't make it healthier per se.
    I also doubt that they are significantly lower either.

just checked online on tescos and popz brand is 480 kcal per 100g made with same ingredients versus kelkin at around 360 kcal per 100g with same ingredients so take it the fact kelkin has less vegetable oil that it meant to be healthier?
    and ya thats too true about low fat not always being healthiest option :)

dam your spot on :( i was wrong! they do a light one as well tho which is around 360 tho

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Hi Curry_person........Your enthusiasm is great and that's what you need to work in a health food store, I worked in them now for 8 years and when your passionate and believe in products its not even a job, You get to talk everyday about stuff you love....Corny I know!
    The difference aswell between working in health food stores and Tescos ( Not that there is anything wrong with that) is you will get trained specifically on the product you have on your shelf....Good employers will insist on there staff being sent on training days and courses etc!!!
    Also the more qualified you are in health food stores the better your wage....
    Low fat is usually worse than full fat.......Usually more sugar, aspartame, fructose type sweeteners in low fat so best off eating full fat in moderation :D
    Also look out for IAHS stores.....These are the really good ones ;)

• Advertisement

lainycool wrote: »
    Hi Curry_person........Your enthusiasm is great and that's what you need to work in a health food store, I worked in them now for 8 years and when your passionate and believe in products its not even a job, You get to talk everyday about stuff you love....Corny I know!
    The difference aswell between working in health food stores and Tescos ( Not that there is anything wrong with that) is you will get trained specifically on the product you have on your shelf....Good employers will insist on there staff being sent on training days and courses etc!!!
    Also the more qualified you are in health food stores the better your wage....
    Low fat is usually worse than full fat.......Usually more sugar, aspartame, fructose type sweeteners in low fat so best off eating full fat in moderation :D
    Also look out for IAHS stores.....These are the really good ones ;)

ya i wanna work in one of the IAHS stores :) being working in a health food company which was far different i did work experience in a IAHS store and loved it so much :) but so hard to find vacancies tho thats main problem im having!! :(

Advertisement