Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Problem - Carphone Warehouse

Options
  • 20-02-2012 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

In mid January I purchased a phone from Carphone Warehouse and about two weeks later I started having problems with it.

The phone would freeze, messages sometimes wouldn't come through or send, it would charge intermittently, sometimes it'd restart itself.

I went into the shop and the first lady I spoke to said I would need to leave the phone in with them for a few days and they would send it away for repair, so until I had a phone to use while my own was away I couldn't leave my phone with them.

I went back in a few days later with my boyfriend and we spoke to another guy who gave me a replacement phone and said I didn't need to leave it in with them for a few days as I had purchased my phone less than twenty eight days ago.

It has now exactly ten days since I got my replacement phone and today (well this evening) my phone will not charge.

I have tried plugging my phone in various wall sockets, upstairs and downstairs, none of which worked. I also tried contacting my phone to my laptop using the USB wire (which is the same wire that connects my phone to the charger).

I am going to go back into Carphone Warehouse, but before I do, I'd like to know what they can / are legally required to do?

I don't know if it is the phone or charger that is wrong this time. I have no other phone to check if it is the charger as my charger does not fit any other phone in the house.

The phone I purchased is a Sony Xperia X8.

I still have the receipt and box from when I purchased the phone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi,

In mid January I purchased a phone from Carphone Warehouse and about two weeks later I started having problems with it.

The phone would freeze, messages sometimes wouldn't come through or send, it would charge intermittently, sometimes it'd restart itself.

I went into the shop and the first lady I spoke to said I would need to leave the phone in with them for a few days and they would send it away for repair, so until I had a phone to use while my own was away I couldn't leave my phone with them.

I went back in a few days later with my boyfriend and we spoke to another guy who gave me a replacement phone and said I didn't need to leave it in with them for a few days as I had purchased my phone less than twenty eight days ago.

It has now exactly ten days since I got my replacement phone and today (well this evening) my phone will not charge.

I have tried plugging my phone in various wall sockets, upstairs and downstairs, none of which worked. I also tried contacting my phone to my laptop using the USB wire (which is the same wire that connects my phone to the charger).

I am going to go back into Carphone Warehouse, but before I do, I'd like to know what they can / are legally required to do?

I don't know if it is the phone or charger that is wrong this time. I have no other phone to check if it is the charger as my charger does not fit any other phone in the house.

The phone I purchased is a Sony Xperia X8.

I still have the receipt and box from when I purchased the phone.
    You are entitled to a repair or replacement or a refund, the seller can offer any one of these options but you do not have to accept their first or any offer they make.

Just to rule this out have you tried to update the software on the phone? If you go to the sony ericsson website it will give you software to download and install which will allow you manage the content of your handset as well as update the firmware if there is any updates available.

As the handset is a replacement of a previously faulty handset you do not have to accept another replacement as you can argue that you have lost faith in the durability of the product and as the product has proven to be less than durable a repair to an otherwise new handset is not a reasonable option. I would be looking for a refund but the Carphone Warehouse will most likely not want to do this. Be prepared to get the forma for the Small Claims Court and send them off but it is unlikely the shop will let it go to Court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You are entitled to a repair or replacement or a refund, the seller can offer any one of these options but you do not have to accept their first or any offer they make.

Just to rule this out have you tried to update the software on the phone? If you go to the sony ericsson website it will give you software to download and install which will allow you manage the content of your handset as well as update the firmware if there is any updates available.

As the handset is a replacement of a previously faulty handset you do not have to accept another replacement as you can argue that you have lost faith in the durability of the product and as the product has proven to be less than durable a repair to an otherwise new handset is not a reasonable option. I would be looking for a refund but the Carphone Warehouse will most likely not want to do this. Be prepared to get the forma for the Small Claims Court and send them off but it is unlikely the shop will let it go to Court.
    Thank you Foggy Lad. I appreciate your reply.

I tried a software update this morning but as my phone didn't have enough battery life I couldn't update.

There's currently 1% battery life and again this morning I tried charging my phone (I'd left it turned off all night) and the same thing, it would not charge.

I will see about getting a refund as at this stage I'd rather get either a) a different phone or b) the same phone, but from a different shop.

Advertisement