Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I'll take down your Internet"

Options
  • 20-02-2012 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

Is this the norm on xBox live? Some chap telling my son he'll take down our Internet and within seconds we're all offline and have to reboot the modem to get it going again. How do they do this and is there anyway to guard against it? :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Is this the norm on xBox live? Some chap telling my son he'll take down our Internet and within seconds we're all offline and have to reboot the modem to get it going again. How do they do this and is there anyway to guard against it? :mad:
    No real way to stop it, its a DDOS attack, file a complaint against the player, theyll get banned sooner or later

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Ok, thanks. Will do that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Better off blocking these guys also, i got this done to me over the weekend with MW3, quite annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Just out of interest what game were ya playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Id put any money on it being CoD, its generally full of people like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Meesared wrote: »
    No real way to stop it, its a DDOS attack, file a complaint against the player, theyll get banned sooner or later

How are they doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

EnterNow wrote: »
    How are they doing this?

Certain routers can list the IP address of outbound connections. In cases on MW3/Black Ops they're peer operated so you're connecting to the users home network IP.

A DDOS spams the IP address with useless information and requests that effectively shuts it down by flooding the users router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Its very easy to guard against, justcheck and see if your router has any IP flood detection and if so... turn it on. It'll detect any massive increase in packets and slow them or stop them comlpetely meaning you dont need to reboot anything.

hightower1 wrote: »
    Its very easy to guard against, justcheck and see if your router has any IP flood detection and if so... turn it on. It'll detect any massive increase in packets and slow them or stop them comlpetely meaning you dont need to reboot anything.

Spot on mate.
    I notice lots of people on here advise others to switch this off on their routers (UPC) mostly, as it fixes certain issues.
    So worth checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Spot on mate.
    I notice lots of people on here advise others to switch this off on their routers (UPC) mostly, as it fixes certain issues.
    So worth checking.

speedtest.net amongst others run a QOS (quality of service) checker and it operates just like a DOS attack so some people see a bad rating on that and assume its their broadband incorrectly. They then remove the IP flood from their routers and see a huge aparent increase in line quality when in fact there was never anything wrong in the first place.

I'd say to leave it on if your getting messges like this on live, if one wants to chek their QOS they should educate themselves on how to actually test this rather than some online checker thats not worth much.

I know UPC modem router combos have the feature but 3rd party ones will also, for the sake of improved ratings result on QOS checkers that dont actually equate to actuall quality of service .... its simply not worth turning it off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement