Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

calf dealers

• 20-02-2012 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭

do many of ye buy off them?
    ive bought a few of dealers in the past and thought they were very slow to thrive,much longer than the farmers calf,probably due to being bought on say sat. and sold on monday,what do they give them to dry them up? alot of them seem to look like they had scours but look ok the day of the sale,whatever is given to them seems to cork them up in my op,also does anyone get much hassle with viruses in the few days after being bought? do ye vacinate when they arrive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

When I started selling calves in the mart during the 90's you would see trails of calf scours from the trailers to the pens. Dealers tore the heads off one another to buy them. I don't know what their secret cure for them was because they weren't buying them to die. I stopped selling calves there and went to another mart where it would be an unusual sight to see a scouring calf :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Sam Kade wrote: »
    When I started selling calves in the mart during the 90's you would see trails of calf scours from the trailers to the pens. Dealers tore the heads off one another to buy them. I don't know what their secret cure for them was because they weren't buying them to die. I stopped selling calves there and went to another mart where it would be an unusual sight to see a scouring calf :)

surely someone on here knows how dealers do this?
    anyone vacinate when calves arrive in yard? and with what?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

simx wrote: »

I'm not a dealer but I know that a half jar of colemans mustard given orally
    does work:cool:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »

cheap solution alright-jar of mustard €0.99:D

anyone vacinate when calves arrive in yard? and with what?
    Yogurt milk will do the trick but I doubt many dealers are milking cows to make yogurt milk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

blue5000 wrote: »

For how long though?
    Just long enough for the fecker to get out the gate with your cash I bet... :mad:

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Yogurt milk will do the trick but I doubt many dealers are milking cows to make yogurt milk.

very doubtfull id imagine :D . . . . much of a job to make yoghurt milk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

A dealer told me his "Trick"......Brewers Yeast!

Bizzum wrote: »
    A dealer told me his "Trick"......Brewers Yeast!

how much of it? you must be very in to get tips :D

very doubtfull id imagine :D . . . . much of a job to make yoghurt milk?
    Simple enough http://www.independent.ie/farming/yogurt-is-key-to-newborn-care-1276289.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

how much of it? you must be very in to get tips :D

Jaysus don't say that:)

I don't know the dose but is saw him giving it in a baby power bottle. He swore by it anyway, but it could be a load of bull!

I will say one thing: When calves arrive the last thing they want is a big feed of milk. Start small and build up!

Bizzum wrote: »
    Jaysus don't say that:)

I don't know the dose but is saw him giving it in a baby power bottle. He swore by it anyway, but it could be a load of bull!

I will say one thing: When calves arrive the last thing they want is a big feed of milk. Start small and build up!

ha,if he swore by it,must be good stuff,couldnt imagine any dealers fast remidies to scour being great for their systems though,was that just on its own or mixed in water? be coarse remedy id imagine
    we used to give them 1 small feed the day they arrived of lectade

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭thetiredfarmer

I rarely feed calves the first evening they arrive,but i do leave hay and water with them and feed them about 2 and a half litres of once a day Shine everyday after for a week before moving them up to 3 litres till weaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

I used to clean out their digestive system on the evening they arrived with sugar and water

then moved on to a calf electrolyte solution (which has natural yoghurts) in it or water mixed with onken (i think) yoghurt pot (gave this for scour also)

theory with the sugar and water being that they may have been on another milk replacer product and not take too well to the new replacer unless their system is cleared out

and with the natural yoghurt products the idea/theory was that you would be reintroducing or boosting the natural bacteria in their system and getting the digestive system working again

with a sick calf I've had for a while (not drinking/listless etc) used to give a small amount of milk replacer mixed with glucose and an egg for a few days bottled where necessary
    + electrolyte sachet or two

dont know how effective these will be for others or if they are fully correct theories/logic/ ways of doing things but I generally cleared up scours within a couple of days and had minimal problems introducing calves for the first time to whatever milk replacer brands I happened to be using.

amacca wrote: »
    I used to clean out their digestive system on the evening they arrived with sugar and water

then moved on to a calf electrolyte solution (which has natural yoghurts) in it or water mixed with onken (i think) yoghurt pot (gave this for scour also)

theory with the sugar and water being that they may have been on another milk replacer product and not take too well to the new replacer unless their system is cleared out

and with the natural yoghurt products the idea/theory was that you would be reintroducing or boosting the natural bacteria in their system and getting the digestive system working again

with a sick calf I've had for a while (not drinking/listless etc) used to give a small amount of milk replacer mixed with glucose and an egg for a few days bottled where necessary

dont know how effective these will be for others or if they are fully correct theories/logic/ ways of doing things but I generally cleared up scours within a couple of days and had minimal problems introducing calves for the first time to whatever milk replacer brands I happened to be using.

sounds like good logic anyway,what mix of sugar and water do you use?

amacca wrote: »

We've done the above except the "cleaning out" idea... wouldn't like the idea of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Any of ye ever use that milk shake stuff saw a tub of it in the creamery today. Selling for 40 euro a tub supposed to be the dogs b****cks .

Into Tesco.
    Tesco brand natural youghert for 50cent or so. Give it in milk to a calf with a milk scour and it dries up in a few feeds, natural and cheap.
    Even for other scours it speeds up recovery.

youd wonder what profit theyd make off each calf,must pay a nice bit to be bringing calves from the south

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭easymoney!

youd wonder what profit theyd make off each calf,must pay a nice bit to be bringing calves from the south

how much would they be buying friesian bulls for down south what would those poor friesians calves be bought at below 50 euro? anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

in listowel on wednesday they ranged from 120 to 200 fr bull
    250 plus for good british fr
    300 aa heifers
    350 aa bulls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

moll3, was thinking of goina to listowel next wed for a look what type of quaality suckler cattle there / numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

mostly dairy on wed thurs better day for general sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

sound thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sister Assumpta

We use yoghurt and raw eggs a good deal on calves at home.

I seem to recall some superstition/habit where the egg is broken / smashed in the calf's mouth and given that way. That's how we give it, I can't imagine there is any sensible reason for it.

Some Veterinary practices will make up their own remedies, using clays and things. These can sometimes be quite effective, and cheaper than some of the more refined commercial products on the market (it seems...).

anyone anymore home remidies or hear of any dealers tricks?

Advertisement