Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loud noise in Douglas

Options
  • 21-02-2012 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Anyone in Douglas? What's that really loud shrill noise? Can hear it all around Douglas right now. Neighbours all looking v puzzled...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭youtheman

Say the post, and stuck the head outside the door. Can hear it plain as day. Freaking weird. Seems to be coming from the Maryborough Hill direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 AoifeN

I'm hearing it too :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lizodgirl

it's the apocalypse or some kind of banshee, it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

They are doing road maintenance, using a line removal machine on the main Douglas road that is what the noise is.

I am sure there will be people ringing into 96fm in the morning about the banshee out in Douglas last night ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lizodgirl

Spindle wrote: »
    They are doing road maintenance, using a line removal machine on the main Douglas road that is what the noise is.

I am sure there will be people ringing into 96fm in the morning about the banshee out in Douglas last night ;)

at this hour!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Traffic is low at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I can hear something from that direction, As the crow flies I'm only two miles from there, Although I could be hearing noise from the harbour, Sounds like a heavy humming noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Glad to see other people heard it too, thought I was going mad!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I thought I was going mad too. Just presumed it was in my head and went of to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yep same here..heard it last night also and was baffled by it. Good to know what was causing it as I couldn't figure it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

WTF was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Line removal machine apparently. See post above from spindle although it heard it in rochestown. Google weird noises in the sky on conspiracy forums for other possible answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Ludo wrote: »
    Line removal machine apparently. See post above from spindle although it heard it in rochestown. Google weird noises in the sky on conspiracy forums for other possible answers.

Isnt it against the law to have noisy construction work such as this during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Hogzy wrote: »
    Isnt it against the law to have noisy construction work such as this during the night.

You would think so but no, there is no specified statutory period during which certain works such as construction, road works, DIY etc. are prohibited however a planning authority may attach conditions to individual planning permissions for any development on a case by case basis.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Hogzy wrote: »

I live in the centre of Douglas and there was very loud construction til about 3 in the morning a month ago. Seems to be no rules about it at all.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Should have read this yesterday.
    I thought my Surround sound was fecked for a few hours.
    Then popped my head outside and still heard the noise, thought it was the beginning of the end :P was looking at the horizion expecting something to appear.

Then my better half came home and said she passed some machine on the douglas road - panic over :D

Advertisement