Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect needed - Passive House Cork

Options
  • 21-02-2012 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi Folks,

I'm planning on building a passive house and want to start soon. I've done my research over the last year or so and I'm pretty up to speed on the lingo, construction methods and technologies. I have an engineer on board who's familiar with the area and is going to handle my planning application (plus the usual bits and pieces that's engineers do). But I'm struggling with a design.

I'm looking for an Architect with a good track record and experience in passive house design. I want a house with a contemporary feel, open plan, lots of natural light etc... But it's important to me that it will fit well into a country/rural setting and look well on the landscape.

Recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

PM sent

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I have an engineer on board who's familiar with the area and is going to handle my planning application ......I'm looking for an Architect ..... contemporary feel, open plan, lots of natural light etc... fit well into a country/rural setting and look well on the landscape.
    If I may - In order for an arch to offer you the service you require, it would be much easier for them to be the point of contact with the planner, and lead the planning submission. The Passive house methodology front loads a greater % of work (including data input) over the traditional post-planning approach. This means that the designer must have clear perspective &/or some assurances from the planner at an early design stage, that their proposal is acceptable or at least moving in the right direction.

In my experience this involves a 'pre-pre-planning' discussion (a made-up word btw) regarding site suitability, building orientation, rigid height etc. In Cork the usually line given as regards house design goes something like 'once the proposed dwelling is not unduly out of keeping/ not visible intrusive' in its surroundings/landscape. Many planners still insist on the house being parallel with the road or in line with other homes, which may not suit the site &/or sun-path. Any such issue can be circumvented through good design, but the parameters must be set by the Local authority early on, so time is not wasted redesigning.. From a 'pre-pre-planning' your Arch should be confident to design, carry-out an initial brief calc and agree the design with you. Then go back for a formal pre-planning meeting where the reasons & design are clearly outlined (and amount of work required if a plan/layout/elevation change is requested in the conditions of a grant permission).

I've have yet to meet an engineer that is happy to discuss Aesthetics and design with a planner (who by-enlarge have no idea about the specific issues that relate to solar orientated design) I would therefore strongly suggest that who ever does your design is doing the passive house calculation and submitting the planning application - with input form the local engineer as required

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭beyondpassive

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MahatmaGeansai

Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep ye posted on my progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Agree with what BrianF says and PM sent.

Best of luck!

Advertisement