Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tallaght area

Options
  • 21-02-2012 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi i have a question..... i have just been offered a house in the mac uilliam estate in jobstown/citywest area of tallaght and i was wondering if it is an alright place to live. Me an my partner are currently in studying in College and have a child and we are 21 years of age. we are worried about accepting the place in case of trouble in the area. we dont mind what really goes on to much just once its not brought into are house etc. can someone give me some advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I live in a semi private/council estate in Tallaght, one side of my estate is lovely and quite and the other is dodgy, now my side is quiet because it is not got young ones hanging about and passing through to get somewhere, is bordered by fields/private estates.

It would be easier if I had a car as sometimes I don't like walking to the bus stop with any one hanging about or drinking on the street, but I've never had any problems, sometimes the kids can be a bit cheeky but their only looking for a bit of banter they are harmless in my experience.

Your area seems to be a lot like mine, if you go down the road near the next roundabout you start getting into real jobstown which has its issues, but your area seems to be pretty much like city west and you can go towards that end to go for walks and you have a lidl close by, I would go see the place at night in a car if you can friday/saturday

but to be honest with being allocated social housing (I assume) you've done really well as you're in citywest more so than jobstown, you're in a small complex so it wont have the same issues as jobstown or killinarden because they are such massive estates, but the houses on the edge of those estates are fine also as people don't congregate around them based on what ive seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 brazilaa

saa wrote: »
    I live in a semi private/council estate in Tallaght,

Yeh thnks for the advice i honestly wouldn't mind kids hanging around etc just once they didn't bother me or vandalise the house or something...... i have a car so id be fine in most circumstances except for when i would have to get bus to and from college and the nearest bus stop is further into jobstown so id be a bit sketchy about that. im currently renting a house in springfield which isnt so bad except its to expensive and i needed to accept a house but this area mac uillium is all thats being offered. i drove up and looked outside the house and there was a few kids hanging around and grafitti etc on some houses which made me worried and now i dnt know whether its worth taking the risk and bringing my 1 year old there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

You will be fine, it not like your moving into Harlem, just say hi to your neighbour's when of if you decide to move in, there are cons to every area, just because an estate looks appealing doesn't make it a sanctuary to live in.

You will find in areas seen as deprived/run down that 99% of the community are lovely people, I'm not saying you've got to be best friends or anything, but if you respect them and be polite they will treat you the same.

I can understand why you are hesitant about moving in with a child, but at the end of the day you don't know all of the people to judge them.

I'd advise you to follow up on it, at the end of the day if it doesn't work out, move out, but at least give it a try.

If more people moved in around the area and made it more multi cultural, diverse and accepting it wouldnt have the reputation it does because nothing changes there except the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Have any of the people giving positive advice actually been to MacUllams.

It's a total kip. Drive up there one evening for a Mad Max style experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 brazilaa

Have any of the people giving positive advice actually been to MacUllams.

It's a total kip. Drive up there one evening for a Mad Max style experience.

Oh is it that bad yeah i kinda got that idea when i drove up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

brazilaa wrote: »
    Oh is it that bad yeah i kinda got that idea when i drove up!

Good that you went up to see it with your own eyes. I cant think of anything up there on offer for a family.

Closer to Tallaght center there are plenty of amenities, but up at MacUllams it really is something that could only be thought up during the boom times with any forethought for people that have to live there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

bfocusd wrote: »
    You will be fine, it not like your moving into Harlem, just say hi to your neighbour's when of if you decide to move in, there are cons to every area, just because an estate looks appealing doesn't make it a sanctuary to live in.

As someone who used to live in Harlem I'd take there over Jobstown any day :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

Jobstown is an absolute fúcking kip. I wouldn't live there even if I was handed a house to own as my own.

Advertisement