Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody have any experience in the field of translation/interpretation?

Options
  • 21-02-2012 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this type of thread is allowed here, if it's not then by all means close it but it doesn't say anything about it in the charter so here I go!

So I'm a leaving cert. student and I want to study French and German next year and then go on to do a masters in Translation Studies. I basically just want to know if anyone here has any experience along the lines of translation or interpretation, translation in particular? Is it realistic in the current economic climate to expect a job in the field?

Much thanks to anyone who contributes! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Now I'm not an expert, but as far as I know its quite hard to get a job in anymore unless you are a native speaker of both languages. It used to be different but now there are so many people with parents from 2 different countries its not really necessary to hire someone who will only ever speak whatever language as a foreigner.

Advertisement