Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob Build - Video Editing / Multimedia

Options
  • 21-02-2012 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

1. What is your budget?

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    In no particular order, but the HD video processing is beyond my current machines and is a deal breaker for me.
    (i) Family PC
    (ii) Programming, MatLab Image & Video Processing
    (iii) HD Video editing w/ some yet unknown COTS software

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    I'll get a student copy of Win7.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    (i) 750GB SATA 7200rpm will be sufficient (main storage on Ubuntu server on network)
    (ii) DVD/RW (NEC DVD+-RW ND-3530A) & CD/RW (Sony CRX216E) if my money is better spent on new processor/RAM
    (iii) Have an old GeForce 7300GT DDR2 512MB AGP in a box somewhere if its not completely useless :o
    (iv) wifi card

5. Do you need a monitor?
    Probably, but might be willing to reuse Dell E193FP if money can be better spent on processor & RAM

5a. If yes, what size do you need.
    I'd probably lean towards 21"-23"

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    1280 x 1024
    I would upgrade at some stage in the future if I went this route

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    Card reader

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    Don't think I'd be prepared to go there yet!

8. How can you pay?
    Any method

9. When are you purchasing?
    Imminently

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    Dunboyne

This would be a first build although I have delved into the bowels of several computers over several years, but limited to adding components like HDDs, audio/video cards, wifi cards, RAM etc.

TIA for wisdom!!

Comments

Advertisement