Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Payment Protection Insurance

• 21-02-2012 6:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭

Hi guys/gals, I recently found out I have PPI on my Credit Card, I had no idea I had this, I have no recollection of ever signing up for it.

The thing is, I was made redundant and was unemployed for a good stretch back in 2009/2010. I obviously didn't make a claim on the policy at the time as I didn't know I had one. :rolleyes:

Can anyone let me know:

(a) If I make a retrospective claim on this policy, for the period I was unemployed? I continued making payments during this period.
    (b) Do I have any leg to stand on with regard to a mis-selling claim?

I have no idea who the policy is with, I only found out about the policy when I rang the bank last year querying a "CREDIT CARD PAYMENT" recurring charge on my CC statement. When told what it was I asked them for a copy of the policy/ agreement but they told me they couldn't without a written SAR request to one of their offices in the UK, and a cheque.

Does anyone have any advice or have they been in a similar position?? I'm with Ulster Bank for all my banking including this CC, but there's basically nothing on the ROI website relating to PPI.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Anyone??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ok first thing is first make a request for the copy of the credit agreement under the Data Protection Act. If you signed for it then unlikely you would be able to get it back. Basically a lot of these ads on the TV (from UK mainly) talk about getting peoples PPi back. Its a bit more lax there and in many cases PPI wasnt signed for. That didnt happen here as much from my experience.

In terms of claiming you need to see what the cover allows you. Some cover illness (getting sick and taking time off work) and some cover unemployment. Others do both. If you didnt have unemployment cover you would not be able to claim. Most consumer credit cards would have been unemployment so thats fine.

The lenght of time passed you would need to discuss with the insurer and see if you could still claim. Its a good deal of time and they may say that no claim can be made at this point. The terms and conditions of the policy you should be able to get from the insurer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

chris85 wrote: »
    Ok first thing is first make a request for the copy of the credit agreement under the Data Protection Act. If you signed for it then unlikely you would be able to get it back. Basically a lot of these ads on the TV (from UK mainly) talk about getting peoples PPi back. Its a bit more lax there and in many cases PPI wasnt signed for. That didnt happen here as much from my experience.

In terms of claiming you need to see what the cover allows you. Some cover illness (getting sick and taking time off work) and some cover unemployment. Others do both. If you didnt have unemployment cover you would not be able to claim. Most consumer credit cards would have been unemployment so thats fine.

The lenght of time passed you would need to discuss with the insurer and see if you could still claim. Its a good deal of time and they may say that no claim can be made at this point. The terms and conditions of the policy you should be able to get from the insurer.
    Thanks Chris, you're completely right, I don't know why I didn't just request a copy of the agreement as a first step. It is heartening to know that at least retrospective claims of this nature aren't beyond the realms of reality. Thanks.

Advertisement