Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone used Geoffrey Nathan?

Options
  • 21-02-2012 7:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I got a call from Geoffrey Nathan for an interview tomorrow in Melbourne. I was just wondering has anyone used them to find work? Are they above board?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 natter85

They're definitely above board - a lot of recruitment companies in Sydney outsource their payroll to them for their contractors. They look after my payroll and have always be perfectly professional in any dealings I've had with them. Don't know much about them from a recruitment point of view but I'd say you'd be safe enough with them. They also offer various migration services if you want that option later on down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

My experience of them is that if you are not eligible for the LAFHA they will not deal with you at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

My experience of them is that if you are not eligible for the LAFHA they will not deal with you at all.

That's not true ... They will pretty much take anyone who pays them

They are a payroll company so they take a chunk of your money as commission and you get legally paid at the end of it.

I know people who have used them. But generally they are expensive as a payroll company - but you might be able to negotiate rates with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

hussey wrote: »
    That's not true ... They will pretty much take anyone who pays them

They are a payroll company so they take a chunk of your money as commission and you get legally paid at the end of it.

I know people who have used them. But generally they are expensive as a payroll company - but you might be able to negotiate rates with them.

I had no idea they were a payroll company. I responded to their ad on seek offering temp office work, they replied that unless I was eligible for the LAFHA they would not deal with me. They were acting as a recruitment agency.
    Maybe they take a cut of your LAFHA or something who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I went to an interview with them. Don't waste your time! They are not a recruitment agency. They try to pretend they are to get you in but once you are in there there are about 5 or 6 of your sitting around a table and she gives a presentation on the benefits of LAFHA. They take a cut in your earnings. It still works out that you get more in your weekly pay check, but I think when you take into consideration your tax return at the end of the year you end up losing out.

The whole thing was a joke. They didn't ask us any questions about ourselves and when we asked will we need to be interviewed for all these so called jobs that they were working with other agencies in order to get for us, she said "no there's no need. We've met you now so that will do as the interview and we will pass on our recommendations to them".

Dont waste your time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hotrockcity

nnf wrote: »
    I got a call from Geoffrey Nathan for an interview tomorrow in Melbourne. I was just wondering has anyone used them to find work? Are they above board?

I found work through jeffery nathan when I was in OZ, they are a recruitment agency and are a good crowd to register with, they called me a lot with interviews. Also if you are Irish they can set up a living away from hjome allowance where u only have to pay 2% tax so u get a better wage each week, this means you dont have much tax back to claim when u leave but I found having the bigger pay pack each week much better!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Heard they were OK and good enough to deal with. Of course it depends what YOU can offer them as well. I think if you are in IT, they will look after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

I use them. I need the money now so it works ok for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MickiMowse

04072511 wrote: »
    I went to an interview with them. Don't waste your time! They are not a recruitment agency. They try to pretend they are to get you in but once you are in there there are about 5 or 6 of your sitting around a table and she gives a presentation on the benefits of LAFHA. They take a cut in your earnings. It still works out that you get more in your weekly pay check, but I think when you take into consideration your tax return at the end of the year you end up losing out.

The whole thing was a joke. They didn't ask us any questions about ourselves and when we asked will we need to be interviewed for all these so called jobs that they were working with other agencies in order to get for us, she said "no there's no need. We've met you now so that will do as the interview and we will pass on our recommendations to them".

Dont waste your time.

You're absolutely right, that's exactly what happened to me. I thought I was going for an interview, but when I arrived I was in a room with a few other people and bombarded about the benefits of LAFHA. It all sounded good at the time and that's what sales people are good at.
    They sent my CV out, I found a job, worked for 6 months.
    Now am reconciling my tax and super. I was astounded to find that by being on the 'all singing, all dancing' LAFHA I have under $100 in my super and have paid $1807.98 to Geoffrey Nathan for 'Admin Fees' to administer the LAFHA. That amount is pretty much what I would have in my super had I not been on the LAFHA.
    Their costs are not made clear and are not detailed on the payslip each week. I thought having more money upfront was better too, but actually it would have been far better to have a bit less and get to claim the vast majority, if not all, of our hard earned cash back at the end.
    Seriously, do the sums first guys before agreeing to anything.
    A good agency to go through is Keegan Adams in Sydney!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MickiMowse

I had no idea they were a payroll company. I responded to their ad on seek offering temp office work, they replied that unless I was eligible for the LAFHA they would not deal with me. They were acting as a recruitment agency.
    Maybe they take a cut of your LAFHA or something who knows.

That is exactly what they do, so if you're not eligible they are unlikely to be interested as you won't make them money.
    See also: http://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm?thread=54033

• Advertisement
Advertisement